PDA

View Full Version : Big Lottery Fund- Young People's Fund (The image of young people)

rfr10
24-Aug-07, 22:59
If you are part of a group/club/organization which is for young people or if you are an adult or young person interest in developing the community for young people, read on:

Questions

What are your views of the young people in todays society?

Does the youth of Scotland have a good/ bad reputation in communities?

What needs to be done about helping young people of different backgrounds mix together?

Why do young people have such a bad image in the media?

Are young people having a say in matters which affect them?

Information:

Please give your views. They will be highly appreciated. Your views will be used in association with consultations and surveys by the Scottish Executive, the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish and UK Youth Parliament.

The aim of the survey is to persuade and influence as many organizations/ groups as possible to apply for funding from the Big Lottery Fund's Young People's Fund as at the end of the current year, the fund will cease to exist as funding is stopped. The young people of this area need your help. The majority of the Highland Projects funded are from the Inverness and surrounding area. We want the money to be spread around the Highlands to benefit young people across counties.

Questions:

For an idea of the interest in this in the Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross constituency area, who has applied for money from the Big Lottery Fund (Young People's Fund), been successful? Who's thought about applying or will maybe think about applying in the close future or who hasn't applied and wouldn't even think about applying. How many people out there are interest in creating projects in the Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross area for the development of youth/ young people.

Information:

Any information/ suggestions etc, no matter how little will be appreciated.

Thank you.

P.S. Could I also point out my signature- a new Highland Youth Voice website should be up and running around October/ November time this year. It should be a great improvement from the current site and should also feature games, forums and eventually competitions for young people as well as informing them about Highland Youth Voice and how they help develop the community and Highlands for young people so if you are a young person of if you are the parent of a young person, PLEASE encourage them to use the new site when it is up and running. The site can be accessed by typing "Highland Youth Voice" into a good search engine or through the youth section of the Highland Council website.

jsherris
24-Aug-07, 23:11
Any information/ suggestions etc, no matter how little will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Do you have any form of 'Dream Scheme in Caithness?
We have recently launched one of these in the South area of Blackpool & it's doing really well so far!

(I'm just the secretary though, not 'hands on'!)

The idea is that we have referrals from the professionals, police, social services, etc, and work for a couple of hours a week with kids that are a step away from the infamous ASBO.
They meet up as a group & go out to do 'jobs' in the community - whether it's to weed the garden of an elderly person - post leaflets for a community group, bag-pack for a local charity, you get the idea.
In return they get 'Points'. They then save these points & cash them in for a shopping voucher, trip to the flicks, maybe even an adventure weekend - whatever the reward, in this instance, they've actually earned it themselves!
And hopefully, along the way, they might just learn a little respect for their little area of the world.
it's surprising how soon the graffiti stops when they have had to paint the bus shelter!

Just a thought....
Julie

rfr10
24-Aug-07, 23:26
Do you have any form of 'Dream Scheme in Caithness?
We have recently launched one of these in the South area of Blackpool & it's doing really well so far!

(I'm just the secretary though, not 'hands on'!)

The idea is that we have referrals from the professionals, police, social services, etc, and work for a couple of hours a week with kids that are a step away from the infamous ASBO.
They meet up as a group & go out to do 'jobs' in the community - whether it's to weed the garden of an elderly person - post leaflets for a community group, bag-pack for a local charity, you get the idea.
In return they get 'Points'. They then save these points & cash them in for a shopping voucher, trip to the flicks, maybe even an adventure weekend - whatever the reward, in this instance, they've actually earned it themselves!
And hopefully, along the way, they might just learn a little respect for their little area of the world.
it's surprising how soon the graffiti stops when they have had to paint the bus shelter!

Just a thought....
Julie

I'm not actually sure if we have anything like that. I wouldn't think so. Sounds like a great idea! Now what we need is someone to run such a project.

I'll definitly keep the information you have just given. Thanks for that! If something like that was to be set up by some organizaion/ youth group in Caithness then it would meet one of the Highland Panels targets by aiming a project at disadvantaged young people and those who have faced exclusion from school etc.

jsherris
24-Aug-07, 23:31
I'm not actually sure if we have anything like that. I wouldn't think so. Sounds like a great idea! Now what we need is someone to run such a project.

I'll definitly keep the information you have just given. Thanks for that! If something like that was to be set up by some organizaion/ youth group in Caithness then it would meet one of the Highland Panels targets by aiming a project at disadvantaged young people and those who have faced exclusion from school etc.
rfr10, My apologies... I should have included this:
http://www.dreamscheme.org.uk/
It's all part of a large network, although each scheme makes its own set of rules and such - and there's always someone to ask advice from too!
Julie

rfr10
24-Aug-07, 23:35
rfr10, My apologies... I should have included this:
http://www.dreamscheme.org.uk/
It's all part of a large network, although each scheme makes its own set of rules and such - and there's always someone to ask advice from too!
Julie

Thanks very much for that! Looks like a great idea!