PDA

View Full Version : The Evolution of mince

karia
18-Aug-07, 17:36
Hi Guys,

Us Scots have strong opinions on mince.

My gran made hers with water in the 'browning stage' and added the traditional turnip, onion and carrot...I believe 'Bisto' had a part to play also...then it was simmered for 40mins.

I make mine with chicken or turkey mince (healthy), a 'shed load' of garlic, courgettes, mushrooms and peppers and a dash of hot piri-piri sauce.

I sometimes serve it with tatties,..likely new baby ones steamed, but often with pasta or rice instead, or I make it into burgers or chilli.

But I still 'brown it' like she did,...(I don't cook it for 40 mins though, it's wee tiny bits of meat, it cooks instantly!:eek:)

I like that link to the past, and I like the see the progression and the fact that I am part of an ongoing process...even if it's all just ..MINCE!

Nowadays when I am making it for my elderly mum, I make it just as her mum made it.

I like being able to do that.:D

Karia

johno
18-Aug-07, 17:44
love it but wont eat it anymore , gives me heartburn :(:~(

emszxr
18-Aug-07, 19:19
i only ever use venison mince, yummy yummy

Anne x
18-Aug-07, 19:33
I brown mince add onions fry a bit add water and oxo cube as hubby belongs to Edinburgh and thats the way he likes it (southerners)

Sutherland way was to add onion carrot turnip to eke it out for big family with dumplings on the top large plate tatties and turnip

nowadays mice used more for Italian cooling lasagne bologonese etc shame

Anne x
18-Aug-07, 19:35
that should read mince no mice

karia
18-Aug-07, 20:23
Hi Anne,

We didnae like to say!

What you put in your miNce , is your business! ;)

Karia

thefugitive1993
18-Aug-07, 20:52
My wife has cautioned me against replying to this thread, because as she has pointed out, I am far from being a "new man" and I know nothing about mince (other than how to eat it). I do however feel qualified (as usual)to talk mince.

The fugitive

johno
18-Aug-07, 21:23
that should read mince no mice
guess thats the reason that i dont anymore eat mice. oops mince.[lol]

Anne x
18-Aug-07, 21:32
well said john o getting into the humour of they org now not such a cleek as when I viewed it before joining

johno
18-Aug-07, 21:44
well said john o getting into the humour of they org now not such a cleek as when I viewed it before joining
Well thank you so much AnneX, ive no time for cleeks, isnt that something thats put in with mince. no wrong again got mixed up with leeks.[lol]

Anne x
18-Aug-07, 21:47
Bravo babe !!! canna help coming from cattach land and stating the obvious

horseman
19-Aug-07, 00:22
As mrs h calls it ,mince stew an dumplings-even the g-children will 'go for it'an not leave any of the chopped small veg even peppers- an ye canny say a lot better than that:)
I know on a cold day I can smell that coming up the alley way!
But my mum was the finest m+t maker in the world:D

Anne x
19-Aug-07, 00:30
doesnt all mams make it there way and smell good

helenwyler
19-Aug-07, 10:24
Mince, tatties, turnips...dumplings too! YUM!:Razz

I didn't grow up with this but sounds great comfort food for the winter (recipes welcomed!!).

Nearest thing we had is shepherd's or cottage pie....and then the spag bol & chilli.. usual stuff...

Mince makes great burgers, a bit of chopped mint & lemon peel/ juice 'lifts' them nicely too...

Anyone ever had steak tartare? I baulked at the idea :eek:30 or so years ago when I was staying with a French family, but felt obliged to eat it. It was actually quite nice, but I've never chosen it again...

dunderheed
19-Aug-07, 14:09
dumplings???? doughballs dumplings is an englishmans poor version of a doughball.!!!!!

i too still brown my mince before adding the onions, sliced carrots and diced neeps. i have deviated slightly as i now use stock cubes and bisto instead of gravy browning and cornflour.

lynne duncan
19-Aug-07, 14:15
traditional way other words mithersway gravy salts and cornflour an onion carrot maybe a lump of neep if it is in the fridge with tatties and cabbage
the bairns scoff the lot

horseman
19-Aug-07, 14:45
Lynne-you'v hit it on the spot 'the bairns scoff the lot' whats more important?:):)

jsherris
19-Aug-07, 15:01
Aaah.... well, the Suvverna's way.....

Brown the onions, add the mince...brown that.... add fresh green beans, carrots, peas, then oxo's & bisto to flavour...drop potatoes in & cook on hob till potatoes are done..... feel free to add anything appropriate that needs using up!

Shepherd's/Cottage pie....
Brown the onions, add the mince...brown that.... add fresh green beans, carrots, peas, then oxo's & bisto to flavour...and a TIN OF TOMATOES... (shepherd's red wellies, according to the kids!) then strain gravy off before putting in dish with mash on top, etc etc.

Cattach
19-Aug-07, 16:23
Hi Guys,

My gran made hers with water in the 'browning stage' and added the traditional turnip, onion and carrot...I believe 'Bisto' had a part to play also...then it was simmered for 40mins.

I make mine with chicken or turkey mince (healthy), a 'shed load' of garlic, courgettes, mushrooms and peppers and a dash of hot piri-piri sauce.

I sometimes serve it with tatties,..likely new baby ones steamed, but often with pasta or rice instead, or I make it into burgers or chilli.

But I still 'brown it' like she did,...(I don't cook it for 40 mins though, it's wee tiny bits of meat, it cooks instantly!:eek:)

I like that link to the past, and I like the see the progression and the fact that I am part of an ongoing process...even if it's all just ..MINCE!

Nowadays when I am making it for my elderly mum, I make it just as her mum made it.

I like being able to do that.:D

Karia

Your recipe for mince certainly is Mince - glad we don't have it that way in my house!!

orkneylass
19-Aug-07, 19:08
I mostly use mince to make bolognese but use 1 part steak mince to 2 parts soya mince. I brown my mince with nothing at all - is usually has a bit of fat in it anyway.

j4bberw0ck
19-Aug-07, 19:10
So what, given enough time, would mince evolve unto? A cow? A human? A meatloaf?

lady penelope
19-Aug-07, 21:04
When me and my better half first got together he had! to have mince every Saturday! I was so sick of it and just stopped buying mince. We've been together over 10 years now and just have it once in a while:)
He makes it though. Mines not so good;)

karia
19-Aug-07, 21:16
So what, given enough time, would mince evolve unto? A cow? A human? A meatloaf?

j4bberw0ck,

As a self confessed Guardian reader, I too am worried about such issues.

All those particles!:roll:

karia

blondscot
19-Aug-07, 22:00
When i was younger i loved nothing better than a bowl o mince n tatties my mam used to fry mince in some sort of sauce and serve it in giant flapjacks they were real tasty!! hum hum but i dont eat meat now but do still cook mince for family but usually as lasangna (wrong spelling i know!!)

WeeBurd
19-Aug-07, 23:17
MrBurd rattled up a fine batch of mince and tatties tonight. Been absolutely ages since we had it, as we usually use mince in Italian cooking too, but MrBurd, WeeBurd & BabyBurdie cleared their plates. WeeBurdie, however, is at the stage of telling us "I don't want that", refusing to eat her own, although she did eventually finish BabyBurdies leftovers:lol:.

Metalattakk
20-Aug-07, 00:24
dumplings???? doughballs dumplings is an englishmans poor version of a doughball.!!!!!

And by the same token, doughballs are choost a sooth-moother's version of the real thing - the 'doughboy'.

;)

Lolabelle
20-Aug-07, 09:03
All this talk about mince! I had to do up a batch of it me own self tonight. It's a cold and rainy night, and now I have a yummy pot of mince with vegies in it for tea.
I think that no matter what you put into mince, it always tastes heaps better the next day! :Razz

helenwyler
20-Aug-07, 09:24
I agree Lolabelle!

It gives the flavours time to develop...needs a bit of organisation and forethought though...so doesn't happen too often in our house;)!!

Lolabelle
20-Aug-07, 09:30
I agree Lolabelle!

It gives the flavours time to develop...needs a bit of organisation and forethought though...so doesn't happen too often in our house;)!!

Not much organisation or forethought in my house either, but I did a double batch, so at least I will have some that will be nicely developed. :Razz

dunderheed
20-Aug-07, 09:38
forgot to mention when browning the mince it should never be done with a spoon but teased apart with a fork

bluelady
20-Aug-07, 11:48
i brown mine in a little olive oil and then i add brown sauce and hot water and leave it to simmer with chopped tatties, onion, carrot and mushrooms, then put into a dish and make into a cottage pie, or chop and fry round chips, place on top with tomato puree and some parsly.

Thumper
20-Aug-07, 13:39
My kids love mince but I have to chop the onions really finely so they can't see them,def no to carrots or turnip added to it so I cook it seperately for myself.Also 2 of them refuse point blank to eat tatties unless roasted, so when we have mince and tatties they have to have "magic tatties"aka smash lol!x Also rememver when I was a kid my Nana made a dish called Vienna,that was mince onions and milk all put in the oven and baked, it had a lovely dark brown yummy skin on the top,sounds yuck but it was lovely with some new tatties yum yum x

hotrod4
20-Aug-07, 16:35
The way i do my mince is to brown it with onion then add a tin of heinz tomato soup!!!!!
Dont knock it till ye tried it, honest its yum
I then layer it "lasagne style" in a pyrex dish and a drop o cheese sauce.
Poor mans lasagne really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

helenwyler
21-Aug-07, 00:13
Hi Guys,

I've enjoyed reading the variations of mince 'n tatties recipes, but have also noticed several occasions on different threads recently where "to talk mince" means "to talk rubbish"...

So, not to mince words, 'mince' seems to have become a sort of secular blasphemy, defiling a revered national dish...

I am not being facetious, I'm interested....

Is this a fairly recent usage of the word, does anyone know?

Angela
21-Aug-07, 10:41
And by the same token, doughballs are choost a sooth-moother's version of the real thing - the 'doughboy'.

;)

Glad to hear that -"mince with doughboys" was what I was brought up on too, Metalattakk...but I'd been pondering whether I'd just got the word wrong, the way you do when you're a kid. :roll: