PDA

View Full Version : Help car problem

young
16-Aug-07, 13:42
Hi thought i would ask any car experts on here first before i go to a garage,
today when starting up my car the emission light comes on and stays on whilst driving does anyone know what the problem might be?????and is it ok for me still to drive it as i have to go to wick later for an appointment

johno
16-Aug-07, 13:45
Hi thought i would ask any car experts on here first before i go to a garage,
today when starting up my car the emission light comes on and stays on whilst driving does anyone know what the problem might be?????and is it ok for me still to drive it as i have to go to wick later for an appointment
more than likely a senser. try the lamba, its on the exhaust about where the cat is. cant see that doing any harm anyway.

young
16-Aug-07, 13:46
thanks will try that:)

Torvaig
16-Aug-07, 14:24
Are you sure it is not your oil light......

rs 2k
16-Aug-07, 16:38
i little more information on the car might help here, i.e make and model of the car, is it deisel/petrol etc

other orger,s might have had the same problems as your encountering with the same car:)

also do you know that the light that is coming on is specifically the "emission" light or is it a engine management light

bothyman
16-Aug-07, 16:46
Emissions Light?? or is it the Engine Management Light ??

Which lights up when the car's computer senses a problem.

horseman
17-Aug-07, 09:32
more than likely a senser. try the lamba, its on the exhaust about where the cat is. cant see that doing any harm anyway.

jonno-he ain't got a lambretta, an the cat is usually on the bonnet!;)

johno
17-Aug-07, 12:08
jonno-he ain't got a lambretta, an the cat is usually on the bonnet!;)
hi, pm me i cant get you on the e mail addy you sent. was talking to sum 1 u hav,nt seen for years the other night. he is still up here.

jsherris
17-Aug-07, 12:18
We have a Saab & the Engine Management Light comes on if the ignition is a little damp - like if hubby has steamed the engine for a clean.....

That said though..... a few months ago, our middle section of the exhaust blew, so we took it to a Kwik... I mean a quick service place that ordered our part in for the next day.....
Exhaust part was changed..... money paid & drove away. 500 yards home, no probs.
Next day, out for a few miles - the car sounded like a bag of spanners!
Andy checked, & where the sensor should have been was a huge bolt!
They had cut the sensor OFF, because they ordered the wrong exhaust part & the sensor didn't quite reach - Andy was [mad]!
Anyway, it took nearly a full week and 2 more trips to get it right new exhaust, new sensor - it must have cost them, I HOPE it cost them!
But boy, you don't expect that from a supposedly 'good reputable' company.

But yeah, back to the Engine Management Light....... if the sensor isn't in place, that light comes on too!
Julie

young
17-Aug-07, 12:55
i little more information on the car might help here, i.e make and model of the car, is it deisel/petrol etc

other orger,s might have had the same problems as your encountering with the same car:)

also do you know that the light that is coming on is specifically the "emission" light or is it a engine management light

Its a vectra and its a petrol. i looked in the car book and its says its the exhaust emission light that is coming on, but other than the light staying on the car is running fine (normal)?

johno
17-Aug-07, 13:25
Its a vectra and its a petrol. i looked in the car book and its says its the exhaust emission light that is coming on, but other than the light staying on the car is running fine (normal)?
read somewhere that if you remove the switch ,blast it with wd 40 a light brush ,refit it . end of prob. apparently they can get sooted up. or if it is the emissions senser a very quick run might clean it . you can also get a can of additive that should also do the trick and it wont harm the cat either.

johno
17-Aug-07, 13:29
read somewhere that if you remove the switch ,blast it with wd 40 a light brush ,refit it . end of prob. apparently they can get sooted up. or if it is the emissions senser a very quick run might clean it . you can also get a can of additive that should also do the trick and it wont harm the cat either.
Ps. if the car is running fine it is more than likely that the senser is not picking up the proper reading so i doubt if you,ve got anything to worry about. hell what did they do years ago b4 all this green stuff was put on engines???????:confused

jsherris
17-Aug-07, 13:32
Ps. if the car is running fine it is more than likely that the senser is not picking up the proper reading so i doubt if you,ve got anything to worry about. hell what did they do years ago b4 all this green stuff was put on engines???????

We drove them around till the big end went, fixing broken fan belts with our tights, used redex to make the petrol go further (& smell really nice!) and knew what a spark plug was when you opened the bonnet..... nowadays....... I couldn't even tell you where our oil stick is!
[lol] [lol]

rs 2k
17-Aug-07, 13:58

i had a astra gte and a vectra cdx that had the engine management light come on for no reason (car still ran fine though) i found the problem to be when a previous owner fitted a performance air filter to the car the air flow was more moist going into the engine, and was corroding the mass air flow sensor,situated in the pipework leading upto the throttle body.

the people replying to this thread are comming up with fair comments,its the way they design cars nowadays, faults to be picked up on dealership machinery........................give me points and carb any day of the week:D

fault detector machines can be bought from halfords or the ebay, maybe someone on the org might give you a shot of one.

young
22-Aug-07, 14:05
i have now booked the car into garage for monday to be put on machine to detect fault. the light is still on but car seems to be running ok its maybe not revivng like normal though?

Lolabelle
22-Aug-07, 14:26
We drove them around till the big end went, fixing broken fan belts with our tights, used redex to make the petrol go further (& smell really nice!) and knew what a spark plug was when you opened the bonnet..... nowadays....... I couldn't even tell you where our oil stick is!
[lol] [lol]

I know exactly what you mean, I once had a car that I had a hammer in the boot, so I could give the altenater a bit of a thump when it wouldn't start. In our new car, I wouldn't have a clue what anything is under there.

j4bberw0ck
22-Aug-07, 14:35
i have now booked the car into garage for monday to be put on machine to detect fault. the light is still on but car seems to be running ok its maybe not revivng like normal though?

If it's not revving normally the Engine Management System is likely responding to the readings from the lambda sensor and being forced into remapping the fuelling and ignition. Eventually, if there's a problem with the sensor or the catalyst, it'll shut the engine down.

Fingers crossed it's not the catalyst that's failed; they don't last for ever, and they are expensive.