PDA

View Full Version : Help with a stupid mistake please

psyberyeti
15-Aug-07, 12:54
I made a fundamental photography error and I need help/advice to get me out of the problem.

I took a photo at a meeting, but there was a mirror which I did not see, at the end of the room. The photo shows the flash from the camera in the mirror - it's obviously very bright.

I'm new to digitally fiddling with photos so I would like advice on how I can remove or reduce the effect of the flash in the (rather large) mirror.

I can't crop the mirror out of the photo. I could try and clone stamp the mirror with some other area so that it looks like a reflection of the wall paper or something. Is there a clever function in photoshop that can cope with this? Can I remove the flash, reduce the brightness of the flash but not the rest of the room, make it more diffuse???

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance, psyberyeti:cool:

Deemac
15-Aug-07, 15:19
I suggest first dealing with the mirror. Marquee the mirror and clone out flash.

Next create a circular gradient mask. (As I assume the flash intensity will fade over an area. Reverse selection and try fiddling with levels, curves etc.

If a circular gradient mask is too course, make a freehand selection and apply a large feather value, reverse selection etc and treat as above.

Did you take any other shots of similar view?, if so, clone parts from that to your flawed shot!!

Most scenarios are recoverable!!:D

Rheghead
15-Aug-07, 17:51
Can you post the offending pic on here and I will have a go at rendering it ok?

psyberyeti
16-Aug-07, 20:20
Can you post the offending pic on here and I will have a go at rendering it ok?
Thanks for the offer Rheghead. Unfortunately I can't because it's an internal work photo, not for human consumption just yet.

It looks like it's going to rain all weekend, so I will have plenty of time to twiddle with the photos. I will try a few things and see what happens.

I will have a go at DeeMac's suggestions. Unfortunately I don't have a clear mirror shot except for one at the wrong angle. I might try an cut bits out and clone or stick bits into the mirror in the flash photo's. I might try colour replacement, but that is something I've not had a succesful go at yet.