PDA

View Full Version : Rational discussion time (no ranting please)

crayola
14-Aug-07, 00:11
Although I did it myself in a moment of frustration a couple of months ago, I'm not sure I condone the closing of a thread by the original poster because the discussion isn't going the way she had anticipated. The Taxi thread was a popular one and I would like to take this opportunity to reply to one or two topics concerning taxi drivers and rain.

A taxi drivers job is to drive from point A to point B, if he/she does more than that, ie carry shopping, he/she is doing over and above his/her duties, it is not your right to have shopping carried. If you choose to go shopping with your children it is your responsiblity to look after them, if you get so much shopping that you can no longer supervise your own child you can hardly blame the driver.

Taxi drivers do however, have a duty to ensure disabled passengers can use their service, this involves lifting a chair into and out of the boot.
It may not be your right to have your shopping carried but a taxi driver who does so would be displaying a human kindness that I value immensely. I would offer to help you out with yours if I should ever have the oppportunity to do so.

Hi Crayola,

Now you want this poor cab driver to carry a sturdy golfing brolly!:roll:

That only leaves him with one hand free for the shopping bags, possibly none if the wind is up!;)

Karia
Karia!!! How can this be? I expect highly developed multitasking skills from my fellow ladies of the org. You don't need hands for a large brolly. A combination of elbow, neck and chin does the job even in a Caithness blow. It takes a few months of practice but you'll get there in the end.

JAWS
14-Aug-07, 00:17
No ranting, crayola? Spoil sport! :Razz

jsherris
14-Aug-07, 00:41
Hi Crayola,

OK, I admit, it was me that advised Ash to let the matter drop - she didn't have to take my advice, she could have told me where to get off (it's ok, I'm used to it, I've got grown up girls of my own!)

However, I could just see everything getting blown up out of all proportion & to be fair, it was all over something & nothing.
Yes, I would have been a bit narked had I been shown the same discourtesy, but then I'm a bit bolder, a bit brassier & probably a lot bigger than Ash, so things like this happen rarely to me nowadays. But in my youth, when I wouldn't say boo to goose, well that was a different story.

We've all been in a position where we've needed a quick hand from someone & sods law says it will be at a most in-opportunistic moment..... like breaking down on a very busy one-way system in rush hour... :eyes and needing a hand to push the car out of the way in the pouring rain..... not expected, but gratefully accepted!

What I didn't like to see was someone being almost bullied for 'daring' to have a moan.......
Blimey, just wait till everyone meets my hubby! He does nothing BUT moan!
About nearly anything & everything! And you know what? Nearly everyone I know agrees with him! They're all mad anyway.....

So, that's why Ash closed the thread - See? it was my fault!! [lol]
Julie
x

crayola
14-Aug-07, 01:36
Please note that I have been, and continue to be, supportive of Ash's opinions, even during her moments of petulance, but one doesn't win the argument by picking up the ball taking it home and thereby spoiling the enjoyment of others.

There is also a human element to this and Ash might have been better advised to consider her posts carefully before hitting the submit button, or even to button her submissions for a day or two, but she is young and she is vocal and all credit to her for that.

Keep the threads coming Ash. :)

nannydip
14-Aug-07, 08:38
I fully agree with crayola's post. In many ways it was a good thread, but must admit at times I thought OUCH!!! :eek:

Tristan
14-Aug-07, 09:04
Threads do evolve and posters respond to other's posts. It is part of belonging to a forum. A big problem is some people start attacking the poster rather than discussing the post.

In the taxi thread it was pointed out it is not a taxi driver's job but as one human being to another we should take a moment to help each other. Whether it is the Mum with a three year old or a 6'4" rugby player - extending a hand of kindness hurts no one.

Angela
14-Aug-07, 10:10
Please note that I have been, and continue to be, supportive of Ash's opinions, even during her moments of petulance, but one doesn't win the argument by picking up the ball taking it home and thereby spoiling the enjoyment of others.

There is also a human element to this and Ash might have been better advised to consider her posts carefully before hitting the submit button, or even to button her submissions for a day or two, but she is young and she is vocal and all credit to her for that.

Keep the threads coming Ash. :)

I'm in total agreement with you here, crayola.

I'm not sure that at Ash's age, I'd have had the courage to post my opinions (if there had been computers way back then ;))

My advice to her, or indeed to anyone -and I hope this won't sound patronising, it's not intended that way - would be to consider carefully before posting, and to accept that not everybody will agree with what you say.

Going back to the original thread, I posted twice...the points I made was that, being much older than Ash, I have learned to be much more assertive and ask for help if I need it....and that when I have asked for extra help from taxi drivers, they haven't refused it.

I always offer help to young women struggling with babies in buggies, and I know that my daughter really appreciates it when folk offer her help with her baby and buggy, especially using buses and trains. She's found that not everybody will offer -although it's great when they do -but if she asks, nobody refuses to help her.

It would be a much nicer world if everybody was thoughtful and considerate of everyone else, but sadly that's not realistic, and all of us have bad days.

Personally I am sorry to see threads being locked by OPs-it doesn't often happen on the Org. There is a difference between that and threads being locked or removed, or individual posts being removed by admin. Of course, if you find individual posts offensive -report them asap, that's what the button is there for!

Ash
14-Aug-07, 15:47
if id known the thread was going to have so much affect i wouldnt have started it but this been a forum and for discussing things i though hey what the hell!

i got 2bad reps for the thread one was from someone who never even posted on it!

dunderheed
14-Aug-07, 18:43
i'm not going to talk about the taxi thread , i made my feelings known on page one .
ash if your rep points bother you why not disable them ? that way no one can give you bad reps

percy toboggan
14-Aug-07, 19:22
I was a taxi driver - in the seventies.
Part-time in a black cab four nights a week - no radio.
Full time in a 'Life on Mars' GXL Cortina for a fortnight (it seemed like a month)

I wouldn't do it now. The public were okay back then but they've gone downhill while I've been climbing upward towards zero toelrance of numpty's.

It can't be an easy job today and seems to attract overweight men. I carry no brief for taxi drivers as most might struggle to get them on.It's poor pay - don't expect too much from these guys. They work at the easier end of manual labour and they're probably all fed up !

NickInTheNorth
16-Aug-07, 11:24
My own opinion on thread "closing" is that once a thread has been opened it is "public property" and not the possession of the original poster.

Therefore whatever the rights and wrongs of anything posted it should not be up to the original poster to chose whether or not to close a thread, but rather it should be up to the forum members as a whole, and such decisions should in reality therefore be made by the moderators.

If someone has an issue with a post then complain, and let the mods do as they see fit.

Fluff
16-Aug-07, 11:35
with regard to the rep points, is there a rule, written or unwritten that says you can only give rep points if you post on that thread?

Ash
16-Aug-07, 15:13
i have cloed the previous thread as im now gettin horrible mails

they have been reported