PDA

View Full Version : New Glasses

Lolabelle
10-Aug-07, 13:35
It's a sign of aging I know, but I have just had to get multi focal glasses and I feel sea sick. Any body else had this? I am wondering if I will be able to stand them. They cost nearly $1000.00, so I am glad that I can take them back if I can't get used to them. I have 30 days to decide. What's everyone elses experience with these multifangeldangle things????[lol]/[evil]

karia
10-Aug-07, 13:43
Hi Lolabelle,

I can't even look at the ground wearing non prescription sunnies or I get dizzy and the ground starts sloping away from me.

I don't need glasses yet, but the day will come,... and I am dreading it.:(

You have my sympathy and I hope things settle quickly!

Karia

Liz
10-Aug-07, 13:54
Lolabelle they feel really weird don't they?!!!:roll:

I didn't find them as bad as my sister did but I promise you it will get better in a couple of weeks as your eyes 'adjust'. If it doesn't then maybe you will need them adjusted.

I was told by my optician to my move my head rather than my eyes when looking at something and this did help.

After a while it just feels like wearing regular glasses.

Good luck!

JAWS
10-Aug-07, 15:53
Are they what are called varifocals here?

canuck
10-Aug-07, 17:23
Apparently these things can take a bit of getting used to. My eye doctor did warn me. I didn't have any problem so I am not able to offer any experiential help. Good luck with it though. Graduated bifocals (or multifocals) sure beat having to take the reading glasses off all the time or peering over the rims when you look at people.

gleeber
10-Aug-07, 17:52
I took to them pretty quick. Wouldnt have any other type now.

NickInTheNorth
10-Aug-07, 18:38
It's a sign of aging I know, but I have just had to get multi focal glasses and I feel sea sick. Any body else had this? I am wondering if I will be able to stand them. They cost nearly $1000.00, so I am glad that I can take them back if I can't get used to them. I have 30 days to decide. What's everyone elses experience with these multifangeldangle things????

It still astounds me that people buy glasses at these total rip-off prices when the self same lenses are available online for less than half the price :eek:

egregory
10-Aug-07, 19:10
I know I have been subscribed them, they give me headaches after a while, I dont think I will ever get used to them and I cant take them back. I have taken to using my old glasses.

trinkie
10-Aug-07, 19:15
The important thing is to have your glasses sitting on your nose in just the position your optician measured you for them. Sometimes if you merely wriggle your nose a bit, that's enough to put your glasses in the right place.
But dont be afraid to move them very slightly on your nose, till you get the right spot.
Make sure they are sitting properly on your ears, and not up on one side - that will alter your vision.

Good luck - I hope you get used to them soon as they are so wonderful .

golach
10-Aug-07, 19:47
I took to them pretty quick. Wouldnt have any other type now.
Gleeber, me too, I love my Varifocals, but at £150 a lens they are getting pricey:~(

Fluff
10-Aug-07, 20:47
a good tip is to point your nose at what you want to look at. like liz said, you need to move your head, not your eyes.

stick at it.

htwood
10-Aug-07, 20:49
I tried varifocals for about a week, but felt seasick, terrible way to lose weight, plus I almost fell down the stairs. The graduated lens just didnt work for me. First pair of bifocals now, easy peasy, I know right where that near/far line is.

jsherris
10-Aug-07, 20:57
I'm dreading the point where I need glasses for regular wear - I already use reading glasses, although I've found out that my prescription calls for 1.5 magnification, & I can get 2 prs of glasses from specsavers for about £90.... but I don't - I use the cheap glasses from the local market off the 99p stall!

They work ok for reading & it doesn't matter if I lose them/drop them/or the granddaughter breaks them!

Ricco
10-Aug-07, 21:28
I've had varifocals for years - great things. Love that 'swimmy' sensation when you get new ones. You soon get used to them as the brain learns to adjust the signals (bit like auto-tuning on a new TV). ;)

Lolabelle
10-Aug-07, 22:08
It still astounds me that people buy glasses at these total rip-off prices when the self same lenses are available online for less than half the price :eek:

Well I wish I'd know that before. But I will keep it in mind for my next pair.
I will stick with it for a few weeks and see if it gets any better. At least I have 30 days and can return them for a full refund if they are no good. I suppose that is one benefit for paying rip off prices.

NickInTheNorth
11-Aug-07, 10:07
Just take a look at spex4less.co.uk money back guarantee there too! Or 39dollarglasses.com

seriously good prices and seriously good service from both :)