PDA

View Full Version : Manson - Tansfield

Rhandy
09-Aug-07, 21:42
Magdalene/Madalin Manson c 1782/3, married Peter Innes 1822. I have her marriage and death but cannot find a birth. Her father was William Manson mother Florence/Floras Calder. I cannot find which William is her father as there are quite a few. Would any one have any knowledge of this family?
Any leads most welcome.
Cheers
Rhandy

Kingetter
10-Aug-07, 01:21
Rhandy,

Can't help yet anyway, but what's the Tansfield connection?

btw, this might be of some interest -
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=25347

James.

Just found this:
Is this your Peter Innes? -
3. Peter (twin) born 20 Dec 1755. Just to be different, he became a Captain in the 79th Regiment, and also became Tacksman of Tannach.
He and Magdalen Manson had 2 illegitimate children, Robert (1804) and Anne (1808), but were eventually married in 1822, just in time for the birth of their third child Margaret. Peter (then aged 67) died soon afterwards, having legitimated his son. He is buried at Old Wick.
His daughter Anne married James McBeath at Tannach in 1832.
(from - http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.innes/164/mb.ashx)

Rhandy
11-Aug-07, 23:10
Hi James, not sure about the Tansfield connection. (was new to pc's and deleted the cookies so not sure where i found it) Sounds like a property name. In my research I found Margaret was actually born in 1820. Innes are well documented , but not so the partners of them. Hence my brickwall with Magdalene
Thank you for the links, will keep ploughing on.
Cheers
Rhandy

Thumper
17-Aug-07, 16:44
Hi Rhandy I don't know if its any help at all but there is an old house in Castletown called Tansfield, it may give you an extra help with your search although there may be many more properties with the same name that I am unaware of.Anyway just thought I would let you know about it just incase there is a link there for you x

Thumper
17-Aug-07, 16:48
oops just realised you had a link to this already...sorry x

Rhandy
18-Aug-07, 02:00
Hi Thumper,
I was starting to suspect the property name as no one could tell me of a town with that name.
Thanks for the info.
Cheers
Rhandy

Thumper
20-Aug-07, 14:42
Hi again Rhandy Tansfield is a large old house just as you drive in to Castletown from the Wick side.It was a doctors house/surgery for sometime but its now just a private dwelling house.Try google/google earth or wikipedia it may help?Have to ask my son when he gets home as he is much more up on technology than I am lol!x

Kingetter
20-Aug-07, 15:21
Would a photo of the building be of any value? If no one else is able I might be able to snap it - when I know exactly where it is,

James.

Thumper
20-Aug-07, 21:59
Hi again Rhandy...try this link they might be able to help you castletown.heritage@talk21.com (castletown.heritage@talk21.com)

Kingetter
20-Aug-07, 22:05
Thumper,

Could you give me directions on how to get to it, coming from Thurso end? I'd like to try and get some photos.

James.

Thumper
21-Aug-07, 10:00
Hi Kingetter, you drive through Castletown and head out as though going to Wick,pass the primary school and then on the right hand side after the school there is a large cornfield,straight after that there is 2 old houses,Tansfield is the 2nd one(nearest Wick)They are both large houses with walls around them but if I remember correctly Tansfield has a wall with wrought iron work on top whereas the other house doesn't.I think if you look the house actually has the name on the wall somewhere(just a wooden sign I think).Let me know how you get on.Regards,
Thumper x

Kingetter
23-Aug-07, 02:09
Thumper, thanks. I'm recalling an oldish building all boarded up, quite near the wool/craft shop but other side of road. I take it its near there and past the Doctors House when pointing towards Wick?

James.

Thumper
23-Aug-07, 08:30
Hey Kingetter,the doctors house IS Tansfield house so you def won't have any problem finding it now eh?:) Funny how things get called the doctors hose etc and lose their real name isn't it.Have fun taking the pics!
regards,
Thumper x

Kingetter
23-Aug-07, 08:58
Hey Kingetter,the doctors house IS Tansfield house so you def won't have any problem finding it now eh? Funny how things get called the doctors hose etc and lose their real name isn't it.Have fun taking the pics!
regards,
Thumper x

:lol: That's funny eh? Great news - I'll be out as soon as I'm able - trapped nerves in my neck right now so no driving etc but then the house isn't going anywhere either, is it?
Next visit to the Garden Centre can be combined probably.
So, is there anything else much about the history of the place?

The 'boarded up place must have some history attached to it eh?
James.

Thumper
23-Aug-07, 11:21
Kingetter,which boarded up place do you mean?The is the old traill hall which is on the right as you head to wick or the old church on the left just past it.The Traill Hall was gifted to the people of castletown by Elizabeth Traill,it was used up until the 70's as a library(I Think) but then it was just used as a store for Norfrost.It is SO sad to see it just being wasted like that!If I won the lottery it would be the first place I would try to buy and do up.The old church hasn't been used for years and was up for sale a couple of years ago but I don't know if anyone bought it or not.There are lovely paintings inside it done by soldiers and I think POW's in WW2 (I remember seeing them when I lived near there as a child and snuck inside lol).It would be amazing if both of those buildings were renovated and used as they both deserve more than to just lie there unused :( Anyway hope the neck etc gets better soon and happy snapping!
Thumper x

Kingetter
23-Aug-07, 11:56
I best take a few pics of all the surrounding buildings - now I'm getting confused again - :lol:

James.

Thumper
23-Aug-07, 12:49
Ooops sorry Kingetter thats probably my fault!Re-read your post and the one right beside the wool/quilting shop is the old church and the one oppiste it and a wee bit further up is the old Traill Hall
Thumper x

Kingetter
23-Aug-07, 13:25
Cheers - I'll find it or send you a postcard:lol:

Kingetter
10-Oct-07, 15:42
Better late than never.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/Castletown/Hpim3560-3.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/Castletown/Hpim3559-3.jpg

More to follow.

Kingetter
10-Oct-07, 15:45
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/Castletown/Hpim3558-3.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/Castletown/Hpim3563-03.jpg

More ....

Kingetter
10-Oct-07, 15:49
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/Castletown/Hpim3567-03.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/Castletown/Hpim3568-03.jpg

(I can't see this being the original property - there is one further round to left but not easily accessible without going up this driveway)

Rhandy
10-Oct-07, 23:41
Hi Kingetter,
Thank you so much for the pics. This is the house my ggggrandmother was born in and its still standing. I am gobsmacked. It must have a terrific history.
I am indebted to you and Jamie S ,as he sent me pics of her grave. The people in Caithness are wonderful. Fred is also a fountain of knowledge.
Hugs to you all.
Cheers
Rhandy

Thumper
11-Oct-07, 12:05
Hi Kingetter,you are right that isn't the original Hayfield house.The original is up the dirt track road just on the left of Tansfield House, as far as I am aware anyway. I am not sure if it is still in use etc but i think it is(don't quote me on that though lol) Anyway great pics and well done x

Kingetter
11-Oct-07, 17:05
Thanks Thumper. Another time I'll try and get a closer look.

This might be of interest to Rhandy as a guide to location. This pic is taken just along the road a short distance from Tansfield House and gives mileages on the sign.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/Castletown/HPIM3573-600.jpg

2 more pics to follow which Thumper will certainly identify.

Kingetter
11-Oct-07, 17:09
I believe these two buildings were described by Thumper -

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/Castletown/HPIM3569-600.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/Castletown/HPIM3571-600.jpg

Thumper
11-Oct-07, 19:20
Oh Kingetter those are my 2 favourite buildings in the whole county!Always said if I win the lottery I would buy and restore them :) There are some lovely houses in castletown,another of my favs is up at Olrig, we used to call it the liqorice hoosie because it was painted balck and white, it was renovated a few years back and it's lovely but if memory serves me well it no longer has the balck and white paintwork,but I may be wrong there as I often am :) x

Kingetter
11-Oct-07, 19:34
Maybe you'd like to give the details (again?) of the two properties you like so much?

Also, give me some directions to the Olrig place and, if I'm able to, I'll try and get pics - no promises mind.

James.

trinkie
14-Oct-07, 18:31
Lazy Sunday afternoon, sitting reading an old Edinburgh Magazine c. 1970 and this story caught my eye.........

'' Memories of Caithness'' by W.A. A.

Reminiscing is an indulgence but it is hoped that these early memories may be of interest to others.

I was born in Wick but my mother flitted to Castletown when my father a doctor, died of typhus fever contracted from a foreign ship in the harbour.I was the eldest of three and the year was 1894. These recollections derive from a stay of some two years at that time and subsequent holidays in the village.

We lived at Tansfield next the doctor who was Forsyth by name and married soon after our arrival. I was pleased to meet his son, an ex-service medical student at Edinburgh, after the First World War. There was a large rookery opposite the house which had a fascination for me and a poor joke was that there was a fellow-feeling as my mother was one of a big family of Crowes !

end of quote.

trinkie

Kingetter
14-Oct-07, 20:53
Lazy Sunday afternoon, sitting reading an old Edinburgh Magazine c. 1970 and this story caught my eye.........

'' Memories of Caithness'' by W.A. A.

Reminiscing is an indulgence but it is hoped that these early memories may be of interest to others.

I was born in Wick but my mother flitted to Castletown when my father a doctor, died of typhus fever contracted from a foreign ship in the harbour.I was the eldest of three and the year was 1894. These recollections derive from a stay of some two years at that time and subsequent holidays in the village.

We lived at Tansfield next the doctor who was Forsyth by name and married soon after our arrival. I was pleased to meet his son, an ex-service medical student at Edinburgh, after the First World War. There was a large rookery opposite the house which had a fascination for me and a poor joke was that there was a fellow-feeling as my mother was one of a big family of Crowes !

end of quote.

trinkie

Trinkie, fascinating and, what timing eh? However, for me, it raises more questions.
1) Who is living in Tansfield?
2) Who is W.A.A. ?
3) Are we sure Tansfield was the 'Doctor's House'? Is that something more recent? Is it coincidence that a Doctor lived next door? The house next door (or one I photographed) is smaller than Tansfield so I'm wondering if it was only a Doctors home?

Thumper - where are you?

James.

Scunner
14-Oct-07, 22:37
Also, give me some directions to the Olrig place and, if I'm able to, I'll try and get pics - no promises mind.

I think you mean 'the lodge' It was renovated several years ago, but still retains some of its character. ie window in the corner and a round window in the side.

Tansfield is a few hundred yards past Castletown School, on the road to Wick. The doctors house is the second one of the big old houses. The doctors practised in this house for many years, until the new surgery was built in the Back Street, near Icetech.

Thumper
16-Oct-07, 16:25
Sorry Kingetter I jsut didn't notice your reply! I haven't left you honest [lol] Scunner has given you the right directions for the "liqourice hoosie" as I fondly called it,I used to play in it as a child-which was madness as the floors were all rotted away!RE Tansfield, I have heard that that whole area was reffered to as Tansfield long ago but I am unsure as to how accurate that info is...........x

Kingetter
16-Oct-07, 17:17
I don't know who's my Shepherd
That leads me astray
Up garden paths and elsewhere
For I started with Tansfield
& I found Hayfield House
Only it wasn't there
Now in my quest I've 'the lodge' to locate
Is that the Wick side of Tansfield?
I'm really quite lost.
So back I must go and look once again
And soon or else senility will have claimed me for sure.

Thumper
16-Oct-07, 18:34
Well done Kingetter!You are quite the poet!The lodge is up past the primary school as though you were going to Durran, but it's only about 1/4 a mile past the school...you can't miss it it is at the bottom of the road to Olrig House and the round window is a dead giveaway lol!x

Scunner
16-Oct-07, 18:34
'The Lodge' is on the right hand side, on the way between Castletown School and Durran. Its on a sharp corner and beside it is a sign for Olrig House. It was occupied in the fifties/ early sixties and then fell into disrepair. There is another Lodge on the way to the Olrig Radio masts. I remember it also being occupied about the same time.

Kingetter
16-Oct-07, 19:38
"Thumper: Well done Kingetter!You are quite the poet!The lodge is up past the primary school as though you were going to Durran, but it's only about 1/4 a mile past the school...you can't miss it it is at the bottom of the road to Olrig House and the round window is a dead giveaway lol!x"

"Scunner: 'The Lodge' is on the right hand side, on the way between Castletown School and Durran. Its on a sharp corner and beside it is a sign for Olrig House. It was occupied in the fifties/ early sixties and then fell into disrepair. There is another Lodge on the way to the Olrig Radio masts. I remember it also being occupied about the same time."

Well, that's certainly a road I've not been up before and so, just to verify, here's a map on which I've indicated where I think you are referring to.
I see Hayfield on the map - would that be where 'the original House' would be?
Also, if I get to this Durran road, is the building I'm aiming for the "liqourice hoosie", or am I still blundering about in the 'dark'?

Lastly, is there anything/where else I should include in my David Bailey Impression Act?

(Another fine mess I've got myself into:lol:)

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/Local/TheRoute-2-HERE.jpg

James

Thumper
16-Oct-07, 21:20
Kingetter,you are a star!Yes that's where the liquorice hoosie is...iam sure you will love it :) It's not quite the same as it used to be but it is nice to see it being lived in!Also yes that is where the original Hayfield house is situated.When you are up that way you may like to pop to the cemetary to see the selkie's grave if you haven't done so before?It is amazing!Haven't been in years but even in the drought of the 70's it was still WET :eek: x

Kingetter
16-Oct-07, 21:41
Am I really 'getting there'? Sheeeeeeesh!

Well, first opportunity and I'll have a go. I'll admit to some interest in the selkies grave - but as I have mobility problems, it may not be too easy. Can you fill me in with any info that would help identify it?

I'm still not clear as to whether the house on the right of Tansfield in my pics is 'significant' - am I right that that was not the Doctor's house?

James.

Thumper
16-Oct-07, 22:16
As far as I am aware the house to the right of tansfield house was never a doctor's house but again, I may be wrong.The selkie's grave may be hard to reach if you have mobility problems,depending on how bad they are..am I right in thinking you have problems with walking?If not you may be able to make it as long as you take it slowly.You have to go to the oldest graveyard...on your left as you drive up from the school,there is a board at the front describing the selkie and I think the whereabout's of her grave.If not you go through the grave yard and head up to the old church,turn left at it and the grave is just behing it..if you look ther are lot's of gravestone's with the plague markings in and around it(again I think this is right but it has been at LOT of years since I have been)But on the bright side that graveyard has so much to look at you could spend days there happily without ever seeing the selkie's grave x

Scunner
16-Oct-07, 22:19
Just another little snippet about Tansfield -A lot of the 'tinker' families lived around Tansfield (please dont take offense anyone (this was many many years ago) and fur ther up that road, which was then no more than a track, you arrived at Birkle Hill, where the tinkers lived in or near the quarry. If I remember rightly, bombs fell during the second WW quite near to where they lived, and frightened them. Birkle Hill was used as the municipal dump, cant recall what decade, but probably the 70;

The house in your first photo was the local Doctors house, and next door, nearer Castletown, is St Margarets.

Thumper
16-Oct-07, 22:46
Scunner, I think it was used as a dump up until the early 80's but I may be wrong, seem to remember walking there as a child in the late 70's with my dad.Not that we were going to the dump but we used to go looking for birdie's nest's in the spring and then later on in the year for edible berries and I think the dump was still open then?
PS It still isn't more than a track but has some wonderful scenery x

Kingetter
17-Oct-07, 01:53
Well I'll do what I can. Walking is a problem and I don't expect a wheelchair has a hope unless someone's pushing it for me so that aint gonna work. Never mind, will try. Am mindful that Rhandy started this thread and possibly would be interested in the surroundings, not just Tansfield.
Rhandy, where are you?:lol:

trinkie
17-Oct-07, 19:10
After I posted that article I found in an old magazine, Kgtr asked '' But who is W.A.A.'' Well I just happened to be on Scotlandspeople with a few credits left and so I thought about the initials - there aren't many surnames beginning with an A ... so I tried Anderson - no luck, next Alexander, W.A. and FOUND ......

1891 CENSUS at 8 Sinclair Terrace Wick.
Dr Alex Alexander age 42 born Watten head
Lynie age 31 " Wick wife
Wm A 9 mths Wick son
Barbara Harper Housemaid
Eliz Anderson Nurse.

Could this be the family ? In the article he said his father had been a doctor......... over to you.

trinkie
29-Dec-07, 10:12
Hallo again,

I have found a beautiful photo of Tansfield House with Dr R M MacLennan, his family and car. C 1904

If you would like a copy of the picture please PM me.

Trinkie

Kingetter
29-Dec-07, 10:21
Re: "photo of Tansfield House with Dr R M MacLennan, his family and car. C 1904"

Yes please. Though not my own research line, I spent so much time 'at the property' and pass it quite often.

If you wish to email, you'd need to pm me for address - you have your pms blocked so I cannot pm you.

Very many thanks.

James.

trinkie
29-Dec-07, 11:19
Hallo Kingetter,

Blast - I do have the PMs stopped just now, but the photo has been sent to another orger, and hopefully it will reach you eventually.

Happy New Year

Trinkie

susan.leith
29-Dec-07, 14:30
Just to confirm previous suggestions as to the identity of WAA - he was William Alister Alexander. William was born in Wick, 1890, the son of Dr Alex Alexander. The family later moved to Howe Street, Edinburgh. William was also a doctor, graduating from Edinburgh University in 1912. His mother's maiden name was Crowe, hence the reference to crows! Hope this helps.

trinkie
30-Dec-07, 18:58
Thumper - the photo is coming - I sent it to Niall at the Forum, and I'm sure he will put it on when he has a minute .

Trinkie

Thumper
30-Dec-07, 20:13
Thumper - the photo is coming - I sent it to Niall at the Forum, and I'm sure he will put it on when he has a minute .

Trinkie

Thanks Trinkie! :) x

trinkie
12-Jan-08, 13:21
The picture I mentioned earlier has now been put on the Thurso Photos on General !!
Kingetter -- you will find it there !

By the way, I heard that recently a rare Rolls Royce from Tansfield house was sold.... anyone know about this ?