PDA

View Full Version : Highlands ?

concerned resident
17-Jul-05, 19:57
When I think of buying some thing on the internet, I see there is free delivery to mainland UK, and when I look in the terms and conditions I find that the Highlands is included with the islands, and have to pay an excess.
We have the most expensive air fares.
The same goes for Petrol prices.
We pay the same TV licence, and do not get channel 5.
We pay our stamp, and cannot get a Dentist.
They are trying to cut back our Hospital services.
Our trains are a disgrace, and the journey takes longer every year.
This is just a few instances where we appear to be discriminated against for living in the North, and they still wish us to pay the same tax.
Just wondered if anyone else had noticed, all our politicians seam to be good at is mouthing a lot of hot air. As we all keep sliding further down the hole.

scotsboy
17-Jul-05, 20:05
Caithness is the land beyond the Highlands ;)

zappster
17-Jul-05, 20:40
Well thats the price we have to pay for living in gods country!! :lol:

Naefearjustbeer
17-Jul-05, 20:54
if it is so bad for you why dont you move

katarina
17-Jul-05, 21:41
When I first tried to buy a mobile phone I was told we wouldn't get a reception in Orkney. I told them we were not in Orkney and the girl at the other end said that my post code was definately coming up as orkney. It took me about half an hour to convince her that I knew where I lived!

luskentyre
17-Jul-05, 22:05
Depending on what you are shopping for, it's worth looking around. A lot of firms do free delivery, regardless of where you stay.

I don't deal with firms who charge extra for delivery here - and let them know why.

postie
17-Jul-05, 22:35
Royal mail sometimes gets slated for things but at least they have the same charge wherever you live in the country can't say that for lots of couriers.
It happened to me a few weeks ago was charged another £3.00 on top of what I'd already paid (£5.09) they said it was a surcharge because of where I stayed, I asked how it would be sent ready for when they said royal mail but they said it was coming by courier I thought fair enough., they then sent it Royal mail and when I phoned and complained I was told its because I'd ordered 2 and the packaging was more then I pointed out yes it was but it was only £1.07 more as it had it written on the box, they must of taken the extra for the heck of it and hoped I wouldn't complain :roll:
Companies should make their policies on deliveries clearer.

Bobinovich
17-Jul-05, 22:45
I regularly order over the net and always check the delivery prior to entering payment details. Amazon are very good - free for orders over £19/20, but Newcron charge through the nose. As mentioned above, having KW as our postcode doesn't help - trying to explain that we are NOT on the Orkney islands and are, in fact, on the mainland is like pulling teeth.

The only advice I can give is, if you see someone offering free delivery to the UK mainland and then they charge you, contact them and explain - I have managed to get P&P refunds from a number of companies this way.

Whitewater
17-Jul-05, 23:07
Delivery in the Highlands & Caithness is sometimes confusing for people in the south because of the post codes, but you have to tell them to look at numbers as well & not just the first two letters and I have found it generally works as they don't want to look too stupid when you ask them to check a map they also have books to hand with all the codes which they can refer to if necessary.

concerned resident
18-Jul-05, 09:23
Naefearjustbeer if it is so bad for you why dont you move
A very stupid remark, which unfortunately never solves anything, Caithness would be better of, with out people with this attitude.

Zael
18-Jul-05, 09:46
Concerned resident,
perhaps if you spend as much time looking for a company that does not have an additional charge for delivery to the highlands as you do whining about a "non-problem" you'll find that you can get cheap delivery on almost any item you care to mention.

I have switched from using several online companies due to delivery charges, and have found exactly the same item available (sometimes at a better price) with a reasonable charge for delivery.

I think you are just being lazy and have not taken the time to shop around. You seem to have simple come up against this issue and stopped looking for a solution and started complaining.

Naefearjustbeer
18-Jul-05, 18:04
Sorry I am obviosly too stupid to reply to this topic, I only know that I would rather not listen to somebody whine about how bad things are.

concerned resident
18-Jul-05, 18:35
Zael. I am not the one whining about a “non problem”, I am just stating a fact, I should not have to hunt round for what every body else gets as a standard service. I know when I am being treated different, than other subjects in the UK, others apparently have not figured it out yet.

Naefearjustbeer sorry I disturbed you with what is happening in the real world.

Naefearjustbeer
18-Jul-05, 19:26
I am in the real world :D it is not me who is trying to change the way the economics and politics of Caithness work. I accept things that I cannot change and dont waste my breath on wild goose chases. If I dont like a companies delivery charges I go elsewhere. Its simple really.