PDA

View Full Version : Kirkstyle - Lybster

jsherris
08-Aug-07, 09:06
Hey Guys....

We have been madly searching the estate agent websites & will probably rent for the first year of moving to Caithness, so we can see where we want to finally settle.. BUT...

I found 'Kirkstyle', a house right near to the golf course at Lybster. All being well, we can sell our house, pay off the mortgage, buy Kirkstyle & still have a few pennies left for the move & the fees!
Now, I phoned & asked for the details to be mailed out, just in case there were any interior pics they didn't pop on the website, which there weren't :(
So, before we base the next 2 to 3 weeks conversations around us buying this house, while we organise a trip up to view it, is there anyone here that can tell me anything about it? Is it habitable? We don't mind living in a wreck while we decorate & do minor renovations, & we know that part of the kitchen ceiling is down too - any other info anyone?

It's so frustrating being here & not being able to come up... oh for a lottery win.... But then, I guess for that to happen, I'd best start buying tickets! [lol]

Boozeburglar
08-Aug-07, 10:01
Could you not jump on the plane from Liverpool to Inverness and hire a car for a couple of days and take a look around?

:)

jsherris
08-Aug-07, 10:08
Could you not jump on the plane from Liverpool to Inverness and hire a car for a couple of days and take a look around?

Yep, we will in about 2 to 3 weeks - Andy works 7 days a week, & we have to work it all in with some job interviews etc etc, I just know what he's like & we will have 2 to 3 weeks of 'WHEN we move to our new house...' (discounting anything else I find out of hand) But then, I'm just as guilty!
I just wondered if someone was going to tell me that it was a total wreck, then the conversation would be 'when we go to view these few houses....' :lol:

Also... I checked up on the flight prices to Inverness..... I can go to Malaga from Blackpool airport for around £45 return! Inverness is about £330....one way! Wow....:eek:

Boozeburglar
08-Aug-07, 11:42
I suggest you drive up, you will save on the car hire too. It is a lovely drive at this time of year.

Hey, stop and have a couple of pints on the way, lol!

;)

crayola
08-Aug-07, 11:59
But make sure hubby drives after you've had your pints. :)

jsherris
08-Aug-07, 22:40
Actually, I thought we'd drive up.... meet a few of you Orgers somewhere & have a few pints....
Oh, but then we wouldn't be able to drive... even the next day if we got too carried away the night before... so we'd have to stay an extra day, so we'd explore a little more - on foot.... then on the 2nd evening, you know how it is... we'd have a few more pints... oh dear, over the limit again.. so we'd stop for just one more day.... explore some more... then on the 3rd evening, we'd have a few pints.... do you see a pattern emerging???
[lol]

JAWS
09-Aug-07, 05:03
If you haven't spent much time in Caithness during the winter you might be better off renting for the first year.
I'm not trying to put you off, far from it in case anybody thinks I am, I moved here from Lancashire and I have absolutely no regrets, I wish I had made the move years before I finally did.

Winter can seem very bleak because of the extreme length of the nights. For about six to eight weeks there can be days when it never gets fully light especially if there is thick cloud.
With that and the fairly constant winds if you get through the first winter without wishing you were somewhere else then you will be fine because that is what drives non-locals to return south.
Summer makes up for it though because in June and July it hardly gets dark at all.

Renting for a time might just be a thought so that if you don't like the winters it saves you the problem of having a house to sell should you decide to "flee".
Having said all that, most people who do move here do seem to stay and certainly don't seem to regret the move.

I'm not trying to be a killjoy but I always believe that if you can cope with the bad bits then the good bits are a fantastic bonus.

rockchick
09-Aug-07, 06:45
Hmmm...new territory...I'm actually agreeing with JAWS!

He has a point. Caithness is a place that you either adore or can't stand...when we moved up we were told that you either stay one year and run away (possibly screaming), or you stay for the rest of your life! and found that that was true. Renting for a year (or at least over the winter) might be the best option for you.

jsherris
09-Aug-07, 08:13
Thank you Jaws & Rockchick - and yes, I actually DO agree with you on the renting score.
We're exploring several possibilities at the moment, but if the timing & the finances are right, then we may make an offer on the house - after we've actually seen it, that is!
Moving to a new place when we have never actually been there..... now what a thought.. oh hang on, I did that 9 years ago when I moved up here to Blackpool!
But yes, I appreciate this time round that it's a lot different because of the climate and the lifestyle, but we shall at least give it our best shot.... what's the worse that could happen?

Now all we have to do is find the right place to rent..... Glen Suie at Lybster was up for rent, but it's been let now, which is a shame, but if anyone knows of a house with a big garden, or bit of land, then feel free to let me know. We don't even mind if we rent a bit of a wreck - we're happy to paint & such!

It's all down to timing, the right offer, and blimey, so many things to think about that my head's positively spinning with all the combinations!
Coffee is needed......
[lol]

JAWS
09-Aug-07, 12:03
Hmmm...new territory...I'm actually agreeing with JAWS! I do have the odd day when I tend to try and be helpful but I usually lie down until I feel like my usual self again. ;)

I was lucky because I did a lot of visiting in Caithness both in winter and summer for a number of years before I finally moved so I was already well "acclimatised". I can well understand though that for people who do not cope with the winter darkness and are unable to flee that they must feel they have been condemned to an eternity in the void beyond the edge of the known universe.

One thing is certain though, it’s well worth the risk to find out because, as rockchick says, if you take to Caithness then you never want to leave because you will really think you have found a little bit of “Heaven on Earth”. .

jsherris
09-Aug-07, 13:01
I do have the odd day when I tend to try and be helpful but I usually lie down until I feel like my usual self again. ;)

I was lucky because I did a lot of visiting in Caithness both in winter and summer for a number of years before I finally moved so I was already well "acclimatised". I can well understand though that for people who do not cope with the winter darkness and are unable to flee that they must feel they have been condemned to an eternity in the void beyond the edge of the known universe.

One thing is certain though, it’s well worth the risk to find out because, as rockchick says, if you take to Caithness then you never want to leave because you will really think you have found a little bit of “Heaven on Earth”. .

My mum always used to say to me....
'We might not have much girl, but at least we get to see life'.....

And she was right... so I'm carrying on the tradition - and if you can't have an adventure or 2 as you get older, what's the point? :)

Max
09-Aug-07, 13:36
[QUOTE=JAWS;253021]especially if there is thick cloud.
With that and the fairly constant winds if you get through the first winter without wishing you were somewhere else then you will be fine because that is what drives non-locals to return south.

Not just non-locals - locals are sometimes tempted to go as well!! (thinking of my husband)

cuddlepop
09-Aug-07, 16:41
It might be just me but every time I've been up in the winter I love it.There's a deep fresh cold that cuts to the quick but if your wrapped up well its fine.
Its the summer's I find disappointing,there still cold.
Does the Trinkie ever get warm eneogh to swim in our have you to aclimatise yourself over the years?.;)

munchkin
09-Aug-07, 16:46
I have never experienced winds like they have up here,they can be really scary at times, long winter nights short days but hey lovely lovely folk and lovely in summer time. im on to my 3 winter and not looking forward to it but im tougher than i was, now when i go back home and they say oh what a wind it is just a breeze to me.

BRIE
09-Aug-07, 16:50
i remember when i first moved up here & i commented on the wind a local said to me " now you know why we all walk bent over its years of wind blowing us that way!"
it reminds me of wizard of oz!:lol:

jsherris
09-Aug-07, 16:52
OK, decision made.... I either chop my hair & have a really short spiky cut...
Or I grow it a bit longer & have a permanent pony-tail!
Get lots of wooly jumpers & steal Andy's socks, & I'm all set!

Thanks everyone - at least I have a bit of warning - Mind you, Andy has said that we get more wind here in Blackpool than most places & because he's a cyclist, he watches things like that (not that he's an anorak, of course.. which he is, but....) so we're halfway acclimatized!

porshiepoo
09-Aug-07, 17:03
Jaws, I'm suprising myself by agreeing with you!!!!!! Eek!!!
I was going to disagree just because this is alien territory to me (agreeing with you) but what you're saying ......does......I can say it........make.......come on I can do it.......make .....Nearly there............. sense! :lol: Phew!!!!!!!

Caithness is a wonderful place but it's not for everyone.
People come up on holidays and think 'I can do this', or 'It's so peaceful, let's move and commute' :eek:
Then they do move and get blown all the way back down again. lol.

The winds can be very scary - glass in the windows moving scary. If you think you've done tornados, come here and you'll realise that was a breeze.
BUT, it's an amazing place to live and all the plus's far outweigh the few minus's.

Oddquine
09-Aug-07, 20:10
I came up as a hardy Scotswoman, to find that, while dressing for the weather, as far as I was concerned, meant three layers plus two fleeces and a Helly Hansen puffa jacket........he thought he'd get off with a t-shirt, a polo-neck a thin jumper and a windproof. Wrong!!!!

So he's off back to England to get warm, and I'm still here, though not in the middle of a field any more.

brokencross
10-Aug-07, 07:32
Is the house on Main Street, Lybster, if so my cousin lived there a few years ago.

jsherris
10-Aug-07, 07:57
Is the house on Main Street, Lybster, if so my cousin lived there a few years ago.

Yes brokencross, that's exactly the one! Is it your cousin that's selling it? Do they know how long it's been empty for?

I had some nice pictures sent to me yesterday - (I shall start a new thread regarding my experiences so far with the local folk) but obviously, we still need to go see it for ourselves - curiosity has now gotten the better of us!

In the meantime, I am also trying to contact a few private landlords regarding renting a property - oh, it's all mad!
But still exciting! A whole new place for us to explore - crazy!

brokencross
10-Aug-07, 09:57
No, as far as I know they sold up a few years ago. They now run a bed and breakfast further up Main Street. From what I remember Kirkstyle is very big, they had a grand piano in the living room and there was still tons of space. From the back upstairs bedrooms the view was over the fields and on to the North Sea.

JAWS
10-Aug-07, 12:10
Oh dear, all these people agreeing with me, I really must be slipping. ;)
The advice I was given about what to wear when I first started coming to Caithness was not to wear something thick but to wear lots of layers. I took the advice (that was a completely new experience for me) and found it really did work.

One thing about the winters here is that you are never lost for a ready made excuse for not doing anything outside. Too dark, too wet, too windy, too cold, too slippy and failing that, too lazy! :)

Kingetter
10-Aug-07, 12:13
Oh dear, all these people agreeing with me, I really must be slipping. ;)
The advice I was given about what to wear when I first started coming to Caithness was not to wear something thick but to wear lots of layers. I took the advice (that was a completely new experience for me) and found it really did work.

One thing about the winters here is that you are never lost for a ready made excuse for not doing anything outside. Too dark, too wet, too windy, too cold, too slippy and failing that, too lazy! :)

Did you forget 'to(o)morrow'?

James

bluelady
10-Aug-07, 12:34
Lybster can be a windy tunnel at times but its a lovely place to live and e folk are really friendly. Whats a bit of cold wind, rain or snow when e best bit is snuggling around open fires either at home or in one of the pubs having a craic. Im always cold at times but as e family and friends say, put another layer on, and as for being similar weather to Blackpool, aye your right, i took residents up there for Christmas and picked them up at New year every year for 9 years and i was always freezing, i also dropped some off for their summer hols and weather not that much different to Caithness. The winds are not that much different to when i lived down south and we had wind destruction all over the south. The thing here is that its big wide open spaces,not many trees and so hardly any shelter. My fifth year here this month and i wouldnt move back down South again, in fact im hoping to retire to Orkney when the time comes. Take a chance, but renting may be a good idea for the first year or two. Good luck:D

jsherris
10-Aug-07, 20:52
Thanks for your comments, everyone - I think half the battle with anything new or different, is making sure you are mentally prepared - and with all of your help, I'm sure we will be by the time we're ready to move!

Julie
x

percy toboggan
11-Aug-07, 08:25
Being a glass half empty type it's always factored in for us that should we decide to come back - when we finally move north - we will have enough money to purchase something else (smaller) back in England if the worst should happen - or, if one/ when one of us dies the other might want to come 'home' For this reason I think it essential, over years to build up and maintain funds approaching half the value of the house you're buying up there. If this is realised by the equity in your present home well and good. Just don't treat it as a lottery win, and spend it ! Otherwise one might be marooned somewhere cold, and dark.
I know that our modest house here will, if realising only 80% of it's current market value will buy us a modest house in the Highlands. The other money is a buffer, a cushion without which we'd not consider going anywhere.

These are uncertain times for buying and selling houses, and anyone sailing close to the wind is vulnerable to ineterst rate changes & fluctuations. I am hoping the 'buy to let' bubble bursts and ever rising interest rates start to effect on house prices. I feel Scotland will be amongst the last places to see a downturn - as three to four years ago prices were very reasonable indeed, and still are comparatively. There is a reason why Caithness is among the cheapest places in the country to buy a house. Some of which have been mentioned here already.

jsherris
11-Aug-07, 09:27
Andy's a 'glass half empty' person, whilst I am a 'glass half full' person - both of us dabble with the other perspective occasionally, but on the whole, we're fairly well balanced between us.

We were extremely lucky when we bought our house - the area wasn't the best part of Blackpool, admittedly, although our little street has always been pleasant enough, and we managed to get a very good mortgage deal. After a few years of Regeneration in the area, it's looking up, and we are now negotiating a house sale of treble the amount we paid for it.

Ever since I've known Andy, he has always looked to the future, in the form of Insurances and Pension schemes - now this is the area that I leave to him, he's much better at this! He is a very careful person - not tight fisted, just careful & he was raised by 2 very careful parents. His mum nows enjoys several UK holidays a year, and several holidays abroad (she's off to Austria today) but provision was made years ago so that this sort of retirement plan could come together.

Bearing in mind that eventually we shall have the security of a very substantial inheritance, we are prepared to take a chance with our 'profits' although Andy's idea of taking a chance is to either buy a property outright, with no mortgage, or pop the bulk into an ISA & have the interest pay our rent - and because of the job he does, his salary has always allowed us to be a bit adventurous - with limits! The nice thing about Andy is that he won't have a credit card or loan or car loan - we have a small overdraft, but that's more than covered each month by his wages, but basically, if we want something, we save for it - if we can't save for it, then we shouldn't have it in the first place!

But yes, I agree with you Percy - plans for the future have to be laid, and all of the 'what ifs' have to be thrashed out. In our case, the worse that could happen is that we end up back here in a rented place with nothing - but we started with nothing, so if we end up with nothing then we haven't lost out - but we've had some good experiences along the way! And as long as we experience it all together, I can ask for no more.
Julie
x

BRIE
11-Aug-07, 12:38
I moved up her for a better life i was sick of working my butt off just to pay the morgage & not being able to have time to spend with my children so we sold our house for twice wot we payed for it, payed off our morgage & bought a house up here outright! It was the best decision i ever made!
to be morgage free at the age of 30 was an amazing feeling & i now have the time & money to give my children a better life, what more can you ask for !:Razz

JAWS
11-Aug-07, 14:23
You are right about the better life. It was heaven to escape from the feeling of being a Lab Rat trapped in a maze overcrowded with millions of other Lab Rats all scurrying round in a mad rush to get absolutely nowhere.

BRIE
11-Aug-07, 14:41
your right JAWS it is heaven & when i go back to visit family I wonder how I managed to live there so long.theres so much traffic & people, & everyone is rude & moody, im much better off here!

freyalass
12-Aug-07, 19:16
I have viewed Kirkstyle as a business opportunity. I buy and restore property as a hobby. The house has been empty for many years and its condition reflects this. Looking at the house from the from you see an enterance porch. this porch is made of wood and is need of complete repair. To the left of the house is the old bakery which is now just a very large empty room with a vaulted ceiling which has much potential. The roof windows are broken and rain has been entering the room destroying the floor. Inside the house is a very nice hallway which is very spacious and could look great. To the left is the main sitting room, again a very good size with potential. To the back is the kitchen/dinner which was obviously at one time two rooms. The ceiling has partially collapsed and will need to be replaced. The floor is also unsafe. Upstairs are 4 good bedrooms and a good size bathroom. The roof looks pretty good. All the windows will have to be replaced. The walls have damp and all the plasterboard will have to be replaced. The heating system is also no good. This may sound awful but this house has great potential. The reason I have not gone further is because I have other projects that have taken longer than I hoped and I am not ready to take on another. I think the price is a little high. If you do decide to buy go in with a figure of £70000 to start with, there has been little interest in the house. very few people like to take on work like this. I live in the village of Lybster at present whilst I am building an extension on our house in Latheron. If you wish some photos of the house I will ask the key holder and take some for you. Regarding renting, I will have a new build 3 bed house for rent soon in the village again I can send some photos. I moved up here 7 years ago from Reading and have no regrets. People make too much of the weather here. Phone me on 01593721304 or email me at Ruth.louden@btinternet.com if I can be of any more help. I put a cost of £30000 to restore to a high standard with a final value of £125000 at least. You could do it for less it all depends on the finish. Three websites to watch are: Caithnesspropertiy.co.uk HSPC.co.uk pollardmortgageshop.co.uk

Ray

jsherris
13-Aug-07, 01:09
Thank you to everyone - for your comments and advice, kindliness & friendliness. I'm feeling quite at home here on the forum - I can't wait to get up there & feel the same in person as it were!

Ray, I shall pm you in a bit - but we're very grateful to you for the info.
Oddquine & Brie - thank you both too, for giving up your time & taking pics of the house - I shall definitely be wanting to see you all in the Portland Arms!

You lot are fantastic - just one thing.......
The wind in Blackpool today was on average 11mph MORE than it was in Lybster! So there! :p
See, I just can't help being an anorak, I've now got both local weather stations pegged for comparison ;)
Julie
x

Boozeburglar
13-Aug-07, 09:27
There are lots of other places in Caithness and Sutherland, why is Lybster so attractive?

Just wondering!

jsherris
13-Aug-07, 09:51
There are lots of other places in Caithness and Sutherland, why is Lybster so attractive?

Just wondering!

Do you know, I have no idea! You know when .....well, when you just know?
Neither one of us can explain it, but it might be that we settle nearer to Brora, or go further up the road to Watten, even, but Lybster's where we are going to start looking from, and further explanations are quite beyond me this morning!
Coffee is beckoning - Morning everyone.... why have we not got a 'waving' smilie.....? :D
Julie

Boozeburglar
13-Aug-07, 10:29
Fair enough, it is a beguiling place right enuff.

I personally love Helmsdale, and I don't know why!

Watten is just okay, I lived there once.

Brora and Golspie are pants, IMHO.

I recommend Lairg too, and most places on the Black Isle are amazing, especially Cromarty. Findhorn is totally awsome as well, as is Fort Augustus.

;)

Victoria
13-Aug-07, 10:45
Being a glass half empty type it's always factored in for us that should we decide to come back - when we finally move north - we will have enough money to purchase something else (smaller) back in England if the worst should happen - or, if one/ when one of us dies the other might want to come 'home' For this reason I think it essential, over years to build up and maintain funds approaching half the value of the house you're buying up there. If this is realised by the equity in your present home well and good. Just don't treat it as a lottery win, and spend it ! Otherwise one might be marooned somewhere cold, and dark.
I know that our modest house here will, if realising only 80% of it's current market value will buy us a modest house in the Highlands. The other money is a buffer, a cushion without which we'd not consider going anywhere.

These are uncertain times for buying and selling houses, and anyone sailing close to the wind is vulnerable to ineterst rate changes & fluctuations. I am hoping the 'buy to let' bubble bursts and ever rising interest rates start to effect on house prices. I feel Scotland will be amongst the last places to see a downturn - as three to four years ago prices were very reasonable indeed, and still are comparatively. There is a reason why Caithness is among the cheapest places in the country to buy a house. Some of which have been mentioned here already.

very true percy. We are planning on renting our flat out down south when we move up just so we'll have somewhere 'to go back to' should we wish to.

singysmum
13-Aug-07, 20:24
Hello everyone and especially jsherris. I am new to the forum but couldn't resist adding our experience with this area. in June last year we made a sudden decision to move up here from Morecambe in Lancashire. We were advised to rent initially and nearly took a property in Lybster as we didn't want to be too near to the towns. Through circumstances that are irrelevant the deal fell through and we had to take anything we could get very quickly. The only place to let that we could find was in Papigoe. Where? We had never heard the name and went to look with some reluctance as it was so near to Wick. We took the place for a few months and then found the most delightful cottage just over the 'border' in Staxigoe. It is lovely, we have a sea view and a country view, are only a hop and skip to town and have been made as welcome as anybody could be by neighbours and friends we have made.
The most constant comments we have heard are about the weather, but if you have experienced Morecambe Bay winds the ones up here are not much different. We wouldn't move back south for anything and although last winter was not so bad in Caithness terms we have all our winter woollies at the ready should the next one be a stinker.
We would recommend this part of the world to anybody and will be leaving here only in a wooden box.
Sorry for the length of this reply but I really wanted to add a Lancastrian point of view for you. Best of luck with house hunting. :D