PDA

View Full Version : Do you research these family surnames?

sgmcgregor
02-Aug-07, 20:52
Hello all,

I haven't posted in a long while and I don't think I have ever posted the surnames I am intersted in. So here goes.......

Bartlett - one branch of the family came to Wick from Aberdeen where the rest of them remained. Only one Bartlett family in Wick so if you have the name we ARE related.

Dallas - in the Caithness area for as long as I can trace back, although it gets rather cloudy the further back I go.

Miller & Macaulay - predominantly Thrumster and Wick. I realise that these names are common so it's a long shot.

Grant - all Caithness area from the year dot!

Oman, Young, Forbes, Fairweather, Bruce.

All of the above names are my mother's side of the family. The following names are from my father's side........

McGregor - predominantly Latheron and Watten. My GGGGrandfather Hugh McGregor married to Esther Budge in Latheron in 1825. Hugh was transported to Australia, but his wife and children remained in Caithness.

Bremner - originally from Edinburgh i believe according to early census records.

Green - this name is related through the Bremner family.

Cameron - from Strathy, Portskerra areas (also link into the Bartlett family through one marriage).

MacKay - through the Cameron family.

Banks, Budge - through marriage to the Mcgregor family. Banks family from Canisbay area and originally up from England.

Henderson - through the Banks side of the family.

If you think you may be related to any of the families listed above please get in touch with me via the messageboard, OR email me direct at

steven.mcgregor@carcharadon.freeserve.co.uk

Thanks for reading!

Kingetter
03-Aug-07, 01:24
Steven,

So where would you like to start then?

James.

sgmcgregor
03-Aug-07, 05:49
James,

What a question to ask me. Couldn't you have started me on something easy first? ;-)

Basically I have too much information to give specific details on the board here, but I'm looking for other people who are interested in the same families I am researching and to hopefully swap info, old photos etc.

I have a tree at the following website, http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com

You can view my tree by entering 'sgm1972' in the field titled "jump to a specific database". Once there you can browse the names in my tree alphabetically.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has any links, and would be willing to share information.

Steven

Oddquine
03-Aug-07, 10:35
Was having a browse of your database........and was intrigued to find my late aunt, Jane Sinclair MacDonald, in it................just goes to show that everyone in Caithness is connected to everyone else however peripherally! :lol:

lynniepoo
03-Aug-07, 11:27
Hi see you have the name Grant my grants where born in elgin moreyshire but lived in caithness wick. Alexander Grant lived at Reiss house in 1851 census with his family and his son Robert Grant was a Innkeeper at bridge st 1871 census if you have any info ralating to this it would be great

thanks

lynniepoo

Angela
03-Aug-07, 11:45
Hi Steven,

Just looked at your database index for any connection to my assorted Millers & Mackays...and see you, like me, also have Mowats and Munros....where to begin? :eek:

I'll be in touch if I find any potential connections! ;)

Angela

sgmcgregor
03-Aug-07, 16:53
Hello oddquine, lynniepoo and angela,

Thanks for getting in touch.

First oddquine -
I hope you weren't offended to find details of Jane in my tree. I had already put a filter in place on my online tree to remove details of individuals who are too recent.

I have a photo of Jane's husband David with his sister and brother and parents William MacKay and Margaret Miller. David and his siblings are quite young, but I can't remember the year off hand - late 1910's to 1920 or thereabouts. You can email me directly if you would like a copy and we can exchange details.

Second lynniepoo -
I have no Robert Grant, but I have an Alexander Grant born in 1821 son of George Grant and Elizabeth Forbes. I haven't yet tried researching him further to see if he married and had children. Let me know if you think this may be relevant. If you do you can email me directly and we can discuss the info i have.

Last but not least Angela -
Thanks for getting in touch. I look forward to hearing from you if there is a link and we can pass details.

Again, I posted my email address in an earlier post, and anyone can get in touch if they want to talk.

Thanks a lot everyone,
Steven

lynniepoo
03-Aug-07, 22:52
thanks for replyin but its the wrong grant my robert grant parents was alexander grant and jane cruikshanks

thanks

lynniepoo:D

Cactus Flower
03-Aug-07, 23:33
Hello Steven,
I just looked at your tree and have a direct connection with the Millers. Would like to hear how you and I are connected!

sgmcgregor
04-Aug-07, 08:56
Lynniepoo - thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear there is no link, but it's always worth the time to ask. I wish you well in your continued research.

Cactus Flower - I'd love to hear more from you regarding the Miller family. You can email me directly at steven.mcgregor@carcharadon.freeserve.co.uk

I'd always thought the Miller name was too common in Caithness to be able to progress too far, but i've been surprised. I found that there was a link through marriage with my Miller family to the details posted by Maureen Materi in the Caithness/Family History section. Some of the photos now posted there were submitted by me - check out Photo Album 8, all of the photos being from my side of the family. Note that David Miller should be given as 1854 to 1934 (not 1919!).

Also check Photo Album 7 - the Miller Family group of 1912, Wick was posted by me. I received a copy of this photo from relations in Wick. I never had this picture until I'd started the research. It's fantastic to find these images.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope to be able to swap details.

Best Wishes,
Steven