PDA

View Full Version : bit of useful (free) photography software

emb123
01-Aug-07, 20:14
Been often wanting to know more about the images I see here and elsewhere online, when they were taken, which camera was used, whether or not they've been edited, ISO, white balance, aperture settings etc.

Most of this info is encoded into the images from modern cameras and image editing software as EXIF information.

I've wanted a quick and easy way of viewing this information and it is surprisingly hard to find a free application to do such a simple thing.

I recently7 came across this free software:
http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/

OPanda IEXIF viewer which is free and enables you to view absolutely huge amounts of information about the images in your web browser (if EXIF info is present). Works for Internet Explorer and Firefox.

It can also install a trial version of the editor for this information if you want that but the viewer part is free and hasn't nagged me as of yet.

I use it, like it and recommend it :)

avalon
01-Aug-07, 21:20
Just tried the softwere you recommended but I found that it wasn't a patch on Supper JPG, gives all details and if the files is large it is very simple to reduce so you can send Jpg's by email and you can hardly see the difference.
The s jpg is very small even fits on a floppy disk.
Brian
(brian@shelligoe.com)

emb123
01-Aug-07, 21:29
fair enough - it's not a package I've heard of. Mind you I am a bit of a stick in the mud when it comes to image browser software and still use an antique version of ACDsee v2.4 as I don't like all the bells and whistles of all the later versions.

I found the software you mention by Midnight Blue Software, although it is shareware and the company has ceased trading. I'll have a look at it though.

I just wanted something that lets me right click on an image in my web browser and bring up a window with the EXIF information and the opanda product is ok for that :)

Colin Manson
01-Aug-07, 22:08
I use the EXIF plugin for firefox. :D

emb123
03-Aug-07, 20:08
Colin, thanks for the tip, will check that out as I use Firefox myself pretty much exclusively. :)
EMB