PDA

View Full Version : Chief Constable caught speeding

gollach
31-Jul-07, 13:49
I was reading about the Chief Constable of Northern Constabulary being caught speeding at the start of this month

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/6923721.stm

and I wondered if he had been driving his company Range Rover at the time.

He tried hard to keep the cost of his car out of the Press & Journal and the newspaper had to wait a year and a half before finally getting the figures through a request to the Information Commissioner.

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/day/foi/060515ran.shtml

anneoctober
31-Jul-07, 14:07
I wonder WHO had the redder face, our chief constable or the poor begger that nicked him? :eek:

Solus
31-Jul-07, 14:46
In all fairness, at least he took the speeding ticket on the chin. Not like others in the past who have tried every effort to get off with it or at least a reduced fine / points.

gollach
31-Jul-07, 16:12
In all fairness, at least he took the speeding ticket on the chin. Not like others in the past who have tried every effort to get off with it or at least a reduced fine / points.

Yes, that is a fair point.

MadPict
31-Jul-07, 17:00
Surely the cost of "his" car isn't that important to the P&J? 18 months of digging using the FOI act to find out how much his car cost?

I suspect that the car actually belongs to the Northern Constabulary and as such is part of their vehicle fleet - he just has prime use of it. That also explains why the vehicle cost only 25 grand as opposed to the 45 grand it normally retails for - the emergency services get special discounts from manufacturers.
And considering the northerly climes and weather in the winter, a 4x4 might be considered an essential option and an executive car may be considered commensurate with his position as Chief Constable?

Seems like a lot of raking in the hope of finding something underhand going on...

Cattach
31-Jul-07, 17:08

Did he or was he unable to do anythings else???

Alice in Blunderland
31-Jul-07, 18:24
I wonder WHO had the redder face, our chief constable or the poor begger that nicked him? :eek:

That poor person he must have had the biggest case of will I wont I

Here might go any chance of promotion in the future :lol: might be worth watching how his career develops or not.....

johno
31-Jul-07, 20:43
That poor person he must have had the biggest case of will I wont I

Here might go any chance of promotion in the future :lol: might be worth watching how his career develops or not.....
I doubt that,Mr Latimer has always seemed to me to be a fair minded man.
At least he held his hands up to it and took on the chin like the rest of us have had to. No doubt he could easily enough have had the charge dropped before it hit the copper,s notebook if he wanted to pull rank. :cool:

anneoctober
31-Jul-07, 20:52
I doubt that,Mr Latimer has always seemed to me to be a fair minded man.
At least he held his hands up to it and took on the chin like the rest of us have had to. No doubt he could easily enough have had the charge dropped before it hit the copper,s notebook if he wanted to pull rank. :cool:
ALLEDGEDLY...johno ! I still would n't like to bet on the arresting officer's chances though , - :eek:technically he's a GRASS

philupmaboug
31-Jul-07, 20:53
Hard to put the brakes on a camera van.... so no worries on the promotion front for the van operative ;-)
He took it better than local lad Chief Constable John McDonald, he slipped the net.

horseman
31-Jul-07, 21:03
I'm sure he could have quite easily have pulled the 'I was on active service at the time' get off clause, but he did not,prime chap.
Wonder if he was 'copped' by some lowly pc, brave fella, well deserving of commendation,or was it the dreaded camera? Of course he needs a 4+4.

DeHaviLand
31-Jul-07, 22:29
He was caught by a camera van, civilian worker, not a peeler. And the operative does not have the say so on who gets done or not. Everyone who is speeding and gets caught on video in this manner will get charged. There are no exceptions, although some people have escaped prosecution, they have been charged initially.

Solus
31-Jul-07, 22:38
This is true, but he can if he wants not accept the ticket and go to court to plead his case, which 9 times out of ten results in a higher fine / points .

saxovtr
02-Aug-07, 15:07
thats unbelievable,they go on and on about road safety boyracers etc etc but he is caught speeding,i find that really annoying to be honest,dosnt look to good on his behalf haha hope he gets the maxium prosecution available for speeding!!!

johno
02-Aug-07, 15:10
thats unbelievable,they go on and on about road safety boyracers etc etc but he is caught speeding,i find that really annoying to be honest,dosnt look to good on his behalf haha hope he gets the maxium prosecution available for speeding!!!
£60 + 3 penalty points. perhaps he can claim on his expence sheet if he was working at the time. ?[lol] ....

saxovtr
02-Aug-07, 15:22
unbelievable not setting a very good example for those boyracers is he,hes paying 60 quid towards his own wages!!

johno
02-Aug-07, 15:52
unbelievable not setting a very good example for those boyracers is he,hes paying 60 quid towards his own wages!!
Hey never thought of that . thats cool.[lol] any way its hardly the crime of the century, most of us mere mortals have done it at some time or other :eek:

johno
02-Aug-07, 15:56
PS. BUT THAT STILL DOE,SNT MEAN ITS RIGHT [lol]

saxovtr
02-Aug-07, 16:00
im sure road accidents are a big factor towards people dying,people liek him just shouldnt do it,hes only part of the northern constabulary you know!!! making scotland a safer place - by speeding(sack him for it)!!

MadPict
02-Aug-07, 20:27
Hmmm, let him without sin cast the first stone...

flowertot
02-Aug-07, 20:39
It just shows the absolute nonsense which a speed limit of 60mph is nowadays with modern anti lock braking systems and other safety devices nobody has any respect whatsoever for it including evidently the Boys in Blue!!

j4bberw0ck
02-Aug-07, 21:58
It's not the hardware that's the problem; it's the wetware behind the wheel........

MadPict
02-Aug-07, 22:03
Pebwac?...