PDA

View Full Version : useful presents

sam
25-Jul-07, 16:14
My hubby has just gave me new shelving units, plus a cordless screwdriver & spirit level for building them as an anniversary present,:D at least now i have somewhere for my ornaments, so now all i have to do now is get building.
Just wondered has anyone else had such useful presents from their husband / wife:D

Alice in Blunderland
25-Jul-07, 16:23
My ex bought me a kettle for christmas once.:eek: He boasted to me before Christmas day that I would never guess what it was and that it was something I needed. He was telling me how helpfull the staff were they even wrapped it for him.
He later let it slip that it was out the Hydro..... the penny dropped a few days earlier I had complained that I needed a new kettle and I realised that he had probably bought me one, the staff must have been laughing up there sleeves at the thought of the poor recipient of this gift....No wonder they offered to wrap it for him. :lol:

Sam I also got a cordless screw driver in a gift best present I ever got.

sam
25-Jul-07, 16:27
lol i'm delighted with it,:D goes to show hubby knows me better than i thought ;)

joan
25-Jul-07, 16:28
My hubby bought me a dart board as an anniversary gift.Very useful for puting holes in the walls every time I missed.

johno
25-Jul-07, 16:37
My hubby has just gave me new shelving units, plus a cordless screwdriver & spirit level for building them as an anniversary present,at least now i have somewhere for my ornaments, so now all i have to do now is get building.
Just wondered has anyone else had such useful presents from their husband / wife:D
wow ,if i gave that to mrs johno as an anniversary pressie i,d be walking with a limp for the next week or so till i found where she,d put the screwdriver. OUCH,,:confused:eek:

sam
25-Jul-07, 16:57
Lol, :lol:

I dont know why some women complain, I prefer to get something usefull rather than something that would lie in a cupboard unused or something that just sits and gathers dust at least my pressie's can be used time and time again:D

johno
25-Jul-07, 18:12
Lol, :lol:

I dont know why some women complain, I prefer to get something usefull rather than something that would lie in a cupboard unused or something that just sits and gathers dust at least my pressie's can be used time and time again
guess its becouse ive got a workshop full of usefulltool,s :~(

johno
25-Jul-07, 18:16
guess its becouse ive got a workshop full of usefulltool,s
oop,s pressies [lol] [lol]

Elenna
25-Jul-07, 18:35
One year...quite a few years back, now...at our Primary School fete, Saltire won a big, fluffy teddy bear in the raffle, and I won a set of screwdrivers. He (either gallantly, or in disgust, I've never been completely sure which ;)) presented me with the bear, but No Way was I going to give up my very own set of screwdrivers! I still have part of the set...the missing ones are the ones somebody "borrowed", and either lost, or trashed....

But yes, I've had a few of those more useful "household" type of gifts, along with ones that were pure personal luxuries, and others that indulge my many, and varied, interests. Most of them absolutely perfect! Of course, that I usually get asked "What do you want?" and I give back a written note of what it is I do want...along with colour and size (if applicable), where it's available, and the price...may have something to do with that :D. But then, that has meant that they definitely are things I will use, too.

helenwyler
25-Jul-07, 19:29
I'd love a useful present!

I've been hinting to MrW for a while now that I'd really really like an electric lawn mower:rolleyes:. For my birthday... just because I'm me...any old excuse!

We have little pushalong affair which only nips about half an inch off the grass, but fools MrW into thinking he's done a good job by flattening what's left!! Tough grass stems remain defiantly erect, but MrW doesn't worry about that...

He loves the wretched thing. The muffled rhythmical push and pull, the sound of the chain rolling back...ah the nostalgic sound of Sunday afternoons gone by (he's only 50)!.

Trouble is, he revealed to me recently that he's worried I'm going to somehow get tangled up in the wire, sever at least one limb and fall senseless onto the (at least neatly cut) grass[lol]! Perhaps I should be flattered at his concern?!

Ah well, guess I'm gonna have to fork out myself. Can't wait for Autumn sales at Homebase!!

laguna2
25-Jul-07, 19:37
i've been hinting that I would like a BMW cabriolet - now that really would be useful :lol:

George Brims
25-Jul-07, 19:43
I'd love a useful present!

I've been hinting to MrW for a while now that I'd really really like an electric lawn mower:rolleyes:. For my birthday... just because I'm me...any old excuse!

We have little pushalong affair which only nips about half an inch off the grass, but fools MrW into thinking he's done a good job by flattening what's left!! Tough grass stems remain defiantly erect, but MrW doesn't worry about that...

He loves the wretched thing. The muffled rhythmical push and pull, the sound of the chain rolling back...ah the nostalgic sound of Sunday afternoons gone by (he's only 50)!.

Trouble is, he revealed to me recently that he's worried I'm going to somehow get tangled up in the wire, sever at least one limb and fall senseless onto the (at least neatly cut) grass[lol]! Perhaps I should be flattered at his concern?!

Ah well, guess I'm gonna have to fork out myself. Can't wait for Autumn sales at Homebase!!

Very important. Use a bright red or orange extension cable, not a green one! I used to have two long green ones. Thanks to my son ignoring the above advice I now have 4 shorter ones (after the addition of some extra end bits).

anneoctober
25-Jul-07, 19:50
Very important. Use a bright red or orange extension cable, not a green one! I used to have two long green ones. Thanks to my son ignoring the above advice I now have 4 shorter ones (after the addition of some extra end bits).
Well at least you did n't put Sandra out to mow the lawn..... :lol::lol:

karia
25-Jul-07, 19:51
Oh Helen,

I do sympathise ....Ask him to buy you an RCD (residual current device so I'm told!)... then there's no danger of death in the grass and you can get on with it!

OH is on his third 'near fatal' slice through of the cable for the hedge trimmers and we now have one....

.....so I'm gonna have to find another method of murdering him!:lol:

How tiresome!;)

Karia

anneoctober
25-Jul-07, 20:00
Oh Helen,

I do sympathise ....Ask him to buy you an RCD (residual current device so I'm told!)... then there's no danger of death in the grass and you can get on with it!

OH is on his third 'near fatal' slice through of the cable for the hedge trimmers and we now have one....

.....so I'm gonna have to find another method of murdering him!:lol:

How tiresome!;)

Karia
You ARE awful......BUT I like you !!!!

DarkAngel
25-Jul-07, 20:01
I got an Iron...:( Cant complain really as its an expensive one and boy its good!!! ha!:lol:

helenwyler
25-Jul-07, 20:01

Thanks George:lol: Very sensible advice!

Dadie
25-Jul-07, 20:03
if its a larger garden or the grass is long you are better of with a petrol mower I have burnt the motor out in my 1st electric mower then i managed to cut the cable in the second..hubby fixed it then i burnt the motor out in the next strip...then he bought a petrol mower and i cant start it so he has to cut the grass now... i dont miss doing it 1 bit:lol:

connieb19
25-Jul-07, 20:04
I got a bottle of aftershave and a frying pan one Christmas. :confused

helenwyler
25-Jul-07, 20:07
Oh Helen,

death in the grass !

.....so I'm gonna have to find another method of murdering him!

How tiresome!

Karia

haha karia!! - now you've got me thinking!

Perhaps it not concern for me after all...perHAPS he's worried that he might succumb to temptation if he had the chance:evil!!

And I just thought he was an old romantic:eek:.

karia
25-Jul-07, 20:08
You ARE awful......BUT I like you !!!!

anneoctober, I thank you!

DarkAngel, An Iron? what,... for smoothing shirts etc? ...And he's still breathing?:eek:

Do you know that a well ironed pillowcase over the head can take care of that
very quickly,..you need not suffer more bad presents.;)

No (female) court in the land would convict you!

Karia

DarkAngel
25-Jul-07, 20:12
anneoctober, I thank you!

DarkAngel, An Iron? what,... for smoothing shirts etc? ...And he's still breathing?

Do you know that a well ironed pillowcase over the head can take care of that
very quickly,..you need not suffer more bad presents.;)

No (female) court in the land would convict you!

Karia

Haha..I know tell me bout it...Also got perfume.. So not all bad...

I must say tho...The iron is brillaint..The last one i has was a cheap one i got a few years ago.I hated ironing, Now its not so bad as this iron is superb... Gosh..Cant believe im saying this:eek:

helenwyler
25-Jul-07, 20:12
Hi dadie
It's a small lawn so the tiniest little flymo would do.

I'm getting worried now with all these stories of cable cut in half...:eek:

It's just that everyone in the world seems to have an electric lawn mower...except me:~(.

Dadie
25-Jul-07, 20:19
they had really cheap electric mowers in the tescos catalogue but i would def get a rcd device better being safe!

karia
25-Jul-07, 20:24
Hi Helen,

Better safe than sorry I reckon!;)

Actually, my balance is so bad that every time I am near a cliff's edge I know how much he loves me...
.....he could so easily just push me off and everyone would buy into the accident theory!

Isn't love wonderful!:D

Karia

karia
25-Jul-07, 20:27

I must say tho...The iron is brillaint..The last one i has was a cheap one i got a few years ago.I hated ironing, Now its not so bad as this iron is superb... Gosh..Cant believe im saying this:eek:

Me neither, the words 'iron' and 'superb' do not belong in the same sentence!

Seek help!:lol:

karia

DarkAngel
25-Jul-07, 20:31
Me neither, the words 'iron' and 'superb' do not belong in the same sentence!

Seek help!:lol:

karia

Im maybe thinking the exact same!!! Eeeeeek!!!! :eek:

helenwyler
25-Jul-07, 21:21
Hi Helen,

Better safe than sorry I reckon!

Actually, my balance is so bad that every time I am near a cliff's edge I know how much he loves me...
.....he could so easily just push me off and everyone would buy into the accident theory!

Isn't love wonderful!

Karia
Yes it is:D!

Just picked him up from the station - so far so good;)!

Thumper
25-Jul-07, 21:27
My worst present ever must have been a complete set of 50's,60's,70's and 80's hits...now I know you are all thinking thats not such a bad present BUT it was in the 80's and I was 16 at the time :D I couldn't believe my new boyfriend could buy me such a naff prezzie!Mind you now I would love most of the songs on it so maybe he knew me better than I knew myself :D x

BRIE
26-Jul-07, 11:10
my husband bought me a vacuum cleaner for xmas!! he spent the week before xmas gushing about how pleased I was going to be with my present!
after opening it my mother suggested that he was probably better off staying out of my way for a while:lol:

Lolabelle
26-Jul-07, 11:20
Well it is my 10th wedding anniversary today, and my darling Dave, just bought me a lovely 45 foot flat top semi trailer. :eek:

But my dad got my mum a dozen chooks once, and she got him a extration fan for the kitchen for his birthday[lol]

johno
26-Jul-07, 11:24

Bought my other half a steam press [not as a pressie] just thought it,d help her out. turned out she didnt like using it ,thought that hand ironing was faster.
Ended up giving it to my son who.se separated. now he reckon,,s it,s the bussiness. Cut,s his pressing chores down to a fraction of the time & never singes anything. just goe,s to show ,different strokes for different folk,s. :roll:

dunderheed
26-Jul-07, 17:22
my other half just lurves power tools for birthdays/ xmas etc.
she now owns a power sander, power drill, hammer drill, electric screw driver, jigsaw and a massive box of bits and sockets.
can you tell who the diy expert is in dunderhouse??

sam
26-Jul-07, 18:11
my husband bought me a vacuum cleaner for xmas!! he spent the week before xmas gushing about how pleased I was going to be with my present!
after opening it my mother suggested that he was probably better off staying out of my way for a while:lol:

whats wrong with getting a vacuum cleaner?:confused

changilass
26-Jul-07, 18:16
my other half just lurves power tools for birthdays/ xmas etc.
she now owns a power sander, power drill, hammer drill, electric screw driver, jigsaw and a massive box of bits and sockets.
can you tell who the diy expert is in dunderhouse??

Could have swore hubbys org name wasn't dunderheed, but maybe I'm wrong, but then you missed out the chainsaw, the table saw, the bench saw and the circular saw, so maybe ok :lol:

poppett
26-Jul-07, 18:19
Car respray for an anniversary present, Dotz alloy wheels for Christmas and a Birthday, and a set of tyres for another christmas and birthday for my car.

Recently my other half who had upgraded his car to a newer one than mine suggested mine be sold and we manage with one................well ok, but would you give away or sell a necklace, earrings and watch I had been given so readily?...............Needless to say I still have my car, which is just as well as his one failed to start on the way to a hospital appointment on Monday, so my "useless" surplus to requirement vehicle saved the day!

NLP
26-Jul-07, 18:26
One birthday I got a mop now I buy my own pressie and then tell him what he got me. :)

seren
26-Jul-07, 18:57
i got a tv aerial once. i'm just resigned now to the fact that men buy useful presents instead of frivolous stuff - if i want any of that i buy it myself :D

Tristan
26-Jul-07, 21:11
Hi dadie
It's a small lawn so the tiniest little flymo would do.

I'm getting worried now with all these stories of cable cut in half...:eek:

It's just that everyone in the world seems to have an electric lawn mower...except me:~(.

I have a small lawn (55m2) and I was going to get one of those flymos but I decided on a NEW push one, light weight and fast - the lawn is done before you could get the cable untangled.

helenwyler
26-Jul-07, 21:16
I have a small lawn (55m2) and I was going to get one of those flymos but I decided on a NEW push one, light weight and fast - the lawn is done before you could get the cable untangled.

Haha - well you're a better man than me (or MrW) then Tristan[lol]!.

Or perhaps it's your new machine, tho MrW swears he sharpens the blades...

BRIE
27-Jul-07, 10:21
whats wrong with getting a vacuum cleaner?:confused

not something I would class as a xmas present!! & i already had a perfect vacuum cleaner!
wouldnt mind but he had asked what id wanted & i did give him ideas:confused

Riffman
27-Jul-07, 21:05
I was given a leatherman at christmas, best pressie ever! It has stayed glued to me on my belt everywhere, it sooo useful!

I have to admit that I got my parents a portable gas stove for their 25th wed anni....they think its great (whew thank goodness!)

Max
27-Jul-07, 22:17
well this year I got a new wheelbarrow and a brush for the stables from my husband. I was delighted!

karia
27-Jul-07, 22:26
I've always found great big diamonds are useful.

You can cut through anything with them,...
.........and you get much better service in shops if you flash them about!:D

Karia

highlandlassie
27-Jul-07, 23:02
My husband bought me a 13ft fishing rod which he knew he would end up using himself. He has brought a few fish home though.

percy toboggan
27-Jul-07, 23:25
Son bought me a wine kit a couple of years ago. All kinds of fancy gadgets - thermometer, advanced corkscrews. bungs and the like. Tonight it finally came in handy. Seems I've been supping out of my other half's bottle instead of me own. So, I was able to deploy the chromium plated poury-spouty thing to redress the balance. Honour satisfied. And, we both still have some vino left for tomorra! We always have separate bottles on a friday night, if we're in. Durin' the week we eek one oot between uz. Often.