PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Town Improvements Association

Royster1911
24-Jul-07, 10:51
Is it just me or is Dunnet now part of Thurso. Part of monies made at the "Its a Knockout" competition are to be syphoned off to the Nursery out there. If this is to continue, should they (TTIA) not be re-badged as Caithness County Improvements Association (CCIA)?[evil] I dont think I will be giving my cash to an organisation who, in my eyes anyway, are giving it away to groups outside the town. Just as a matter of interest, are there ANY children from Thurso that goes to that Nursery?

Cattach
24-Jul-07, 12:06
Is it just me or is Dunnet now part of Thurso. Part of monies made at the "Its a Knockout" competition are to be syphoned off to the Nursery out there. If this is to continue, should they (TTIA) not be re-badged as Caithness County Improvements Association (CCIA)?[evil] I dont think I will be giving my cash to an organisation who, in my eyes anyway, are giving it away to groups outside the town. Just as a matter of interest, are there ANY children from Thurso that goes to that Nursery?

I have to say it does seem a strange decision to me. After all most, though not all, the children from Dunnet go to Castletown Primary School when 5 years so surely the Castletown Gala should give the support. Also should this not be a Government/Highland Council responsibility since three and four year old pre-school provision is funded by the government and we pay taxes for the service?

davem
24-Jul-07, 12:19
That is indeed shocking news, hope the press don't cotton on to this one. the scandal could rumble on for months.

futurelegends
24-Jul-07, 13:08
I have to say it does seem a strange decision to me. After all most, though not all, the children from Dunnet go to Castletown Primary School when 5 years so surely the Castletown Gala should give the support. Also should this not be a Government/Highland Council responsibility since three and four year old pre-school provision is funded by the government and we pay taxes for the service?

I believe that the Castletown Gala is arranged by the Youth Club.

Gogglebox
24-Jul-07, 13:32
Its very straight forward by using more than one group it spread the costs and the risk.

Town Improvements have over the last couple of years teamed up with other groups on different events.

Other groups bring bodies which helps overcome some of the Insurance and Health & Safety issues

Additionally some of these groups have run events that Town Improvements have not before and can bring experience that they possibly do not have to the event

Thurso FC are involved in the Big Gig and the Funday

If anyone of you who are throwing their hands up in the air in disgust are involved in community groups you will realise the now onerous imposition placed on groups by H&S requirement, Disclosure, Insurance and inflated travel costs because we are in the North

Of course if they had more volunteers to assist there may be less of a need to form these alliances.

Dunnet Playgroup have actually done loads of work on organising the funday, one individual in particular so their participation should be welcomed

Royster1911
24-Jul-07, 15:13
Its very straight forward by using more than one group it spread the costs and the risk.

Town Improvements have over the last couple of years teamed up with other groups on different events.

Other groups bring bodies which helps overcome some of the Insurance and Health & Safety issues

Additionally some of these groups have run events that Town Improvements have not before and can bring experience that they possibly do not have to the event

Thurso FC are involved in the Big Gig and the Funday

If anyone of you who are throwing their hands up in the air in disgust are involved in community groups you will realise the now onerous imposition placed on groups by H&S requirement, Disclosure, Insurance and inflated travel costs because we are in the North

Of course if they had more volunteers to assist there may be less of a need to form these alliances.

Dunnet Playgroup have actually done loads of work on organising the funday, one individual in particular so their participation should be welcomed

Thats fine. No Problems with that, but why are they called Thurso Town Improvements Committee? Should they not re-badge to Caithness County Improvements Committee? I would have no problem with that and others would be able to see that groups from outwith Thurso have an imput. This was news to me so I assume others were in the dark.:~(

Mr_Me19
24-Jul-07, 15:58
Well personally I don't see the problem with those in Thurso having a heart and giving money to areas where it is much more difficult to raise money.

And as for re-badging thats like saying that since Bill Gates gives money to charity he should rename Microsoft into something to do with charity?

By the sounds of things you are a Thurso resident. But have a small thought for those who don't live in Thurso without getting all annoyed over names and false branding.

Thumper
24-Jul-07, 16:14
Why is it such a problem that Thurso Town improvements have decided to help a small community WITHIN our community?Surely if the Dunnet playgroup are happy to give up their spare time to help out at this event they are within their rights to be awarded some of the money made at it?Its not as though it's just giving money to volunteers,it is giving it to a small but well run community project that probably NEEDS as much help as the generous people of Thurso will give!Dunnet has one small playgruop whereas Thurso has several that are probably full to bursting point and have lots of parents to help as and when the NEED to fundraise arises whereas Dunnet probably only has a few parents to help with this! I myself have no problem whatsoever with it and would be glad to see MY money go where it is needed wherever that may be!I presume that the people who want the money to stay in Thurso will all be there on the day helping out so that the committee don't have to ask for outside help????

Gogglebox
24-Jul-07, 17:09
Thats fine. No Problems with that, but why are they called Thurso Town Improvements Committee? Should they not re-badge to Caithness County Improvements Committee? I would have no problem with that and others would be able to see that groups from outwith Thurso have an imput. This was news to me so I assume others were in the dark.:~(

No thats just nonsense!

For one event ttia are working with another group what is the problem with it
They also work with Rotary Club Round Table St Andrews ambulance, etc

The kids in Dunnet will come to Thurso High School, their parents will no doubt shop in Thurso

Many organisations work with others. Im afraid you seem to be stuck in the past This is 2007 and if these groups dont work together in the face of the mounting costs and legislation some may fold

TTIA also has a lot of interaction with the Wick Project Centre - -thats how we got the Continental Market here and Wick Town Improvements

TTIA also supports many organisations physically and financially when it can and recently took on the added objectives of Thurso Beyond 2000 when it was struggling to get people to join its committees

I cannot believe that you have much interaction with the running of these type of things or you would realise why its in the interests of everybody to work together - you can do more - you can do it bigger and better - you can do it in compliance with the laws -

You are however free to come along at the next agm in October and put forward your view, it will make for an intresting debate, I hope i can make it too!!

My own opinion is that the Community Council should take a stronger interest in harnessing all the groups in the town and out lying district and focus them all towards common objectives

Additionally as a county an Insurance policy should be bought that covers all the groups operating within the county, for galas, games, shows and just individual events that would help disperse the costs and stop crippling some of the groups.

If all the groups worked together you would maybe see more progress within the whole area rather than everyone doing their own individual projects

TTIA constitution allows it to provide for Thurso and outlying districts Dunnet would easily come within that however they are NOT giving money to them TTIA are working on a event together as partners within.

So no offence Royster but i cannot see what you have the problem with

Thumper
24-Jul-07, 17:26
Well said Gogglebox!Thats always the problem plenty of people to down things but never enough willing to help out!Every community event no matter where seems to fall foul of the little people with the big voices but small hearts who never offer to help but are quick to moan about others efforts!I have helped at a few galas etc and everytime its the same people who slag it off but when asked to help they are "too busy"or say well you want it so get on with it [disgust]

Royster1911
24-Jul-07, 19:30
Well said Gogglebox!Thats always the problem plenty of people to down things but never enough willing to help out!Every community event no matter where seems to fall foul of the little people with the big voices but small hearts who never offer to help but are quick to moan about others efforts!I have helped at a few galas etc and everytime its the same people who slag it off but when asked to help they are "too busy"or say well you want it so get on with it [disgust]
The last person who made assumptions about me on .org ended up looking very foolish, so be carefull about what you assume to know about me. I help to arrange at least 4 money making events per year and the cash is divided between different charities. They change annualy and this makes it fair. The customers to our events are told beforehand which charities are to benifit from the event, and after the divi, told how much is going to each group. :Razz

Thumper
24-Jul-07, 20:48
In reply royster ,I did NOT actually SAY anything about you OR make any assumptions about you personally!I merely put my OPINION on this thread as to why some people are quick to complain about things when they never actually do anything to help!Not once did I say or imply that it was you I was speaking about, I would never make assumptions about somebody I have never met or talked to in just the same way as I would never complain about anybody helping out any organisation worthy of the help.Your work with charities is to be commended just like any other persons work would be.I simply stated in my personal experience there are those who do, and those who complain about what those who do have done!But if it makes you feel better perhaps I should keep my opion to myself?

Royster1911
24-Jul-07, 21:22
I was making a point in general and useing your post as a wagon for it. I never intended to offend and if I did, then you have my appologies for doing so.:~(

Bobinovich
24-Jul-07, 21:23
I help to arrange at least 4 money making events per year and the cash is divided between different charities. They change annualy and this makes it fair. The customers to our events are told beforehand which charities are to benifit from the event, and after the divi, told how much is going to each group. :Razz

Which makes it difficult to understand why you have so much of a problem with TTIA sharing the proceeds of the Fun Day event with a Dunnet nursery!! As has been explained they have had a huge involvement with said event and, as such, are entitled to some of the 'divi' from it. Hence why the posters indicate this so that customers are pre-warned :Razz

Bill Fernie
24-Jul-07, 22:06
From my point of view on this all I can say that Caithness and probably Sutherland need to think much more the area as one community. All of Caithness has less people than a small part of Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Any carping about this or that community looks very strange to anyone who comes from a town of more than 30,000 people where they might regard themselves as one community. The fact that Dunnet has few miles between it and Thurso or Wick should not matter to "the community". More folk probabaly live in one long street in Edinbugh or Glasgow than live in Dunnet or any other part of rural Caithness.

All of these parochial type comments seem a bit out of touch with the fact that Caithness as a whole might have many difficulties and who gets what out of an event run for the good of all by TTIA shoould reaslly not be in question. The fact is that all of Caithness and Sutherland (whose population is even lower than here) really needs to have as many places where they work together as possible for the good of all of the separate communities no matter what their size to ensure they are in fact one community with many small parts. In the greater scheme of things Wick and Thurso are tiny communities - ask anyone from most other parts of the UK. The whole of Caithness and Sutherland's population would fit into some larger housing estates.

Only with more co-operation can communities thrive and succeed. As Gogglebox has said there are several reasons for community groups from whatever part of Caithness coming together.

On insurance I have to say this is difficult one to tie down with insurance companies. I did once set up something for village halls but although it might owrk for while premiums tend to drift up and organisations then head off in other directions again. Too many differing demands on what needs to be covered make it hard to get a good quote. The insurance companies want it all tied down to be able to assess the risks and set the premiums to be paid. Many group with differing demands and number of events are too tricky to get a decent quote when compared to one off events. It is still always worth getting more than one quote and shopping around for the best one as rates can vary. Sharing the knowledge from thequotes and companies might be useful forother groups so if anyone wants to set a thread going on that perhaps other groups might see a way of saving some money on these costs.

Mr_Me19
24-Jul-07, 22:36
The last person who made assumptions about me on .org ended up looking very foolish, so be carefull about what you assume to know about me.

Careful Royster. That sounds a bit too much like a threat. Family friendly site remember. We don't want anyone getting ideas that we are allowed to make 'threats' over who is most in need of money.

Gogglebox
24-Jul-07, 23:53
The last person who made assumptions about me on .org ended up looking very foolish, so be carefull about what you assume to know about me. I help to arrange at least 4 money making events per year and the cash is divided between different charities. They change annualy and this makes it fair. The customers to our events are told beforehand which charities are to benifit from the event, and after the divi, told how much is going to each group. :Razz

I think by the time you have noticed that Dunnet Play group are involved in the event and its on all the advertising for this event that its clear which parties will benefit from this event. - - -TTIA - Dunnet Playgroup - -The Public!

My belief on the Insurance front is that Wick, Thurso, castletown etc are probably all paying for a policy for about one week of gala events each but could probably get one that covers all in a cooperative scheme. If you then added in the Town New Year Parties, Christmas Lights Switch ons and fundays the benefits might make it worth while

I have spoken to a couple of Insurance companies who are interested in forming a policy to do this and are willing to prepare quotes

I reckoned if every group contributed a proportionate percentage based on their last policy to the total cost there would be savings to be had

Also it would be worth having an area - -maybe on the org where standard documents could be placed that are relevant to groups eg Child Protection, Constitutions, Sample accounts to comply with OSCRs new regulations it would help some groups get through the mire some find themselves in

Also it would maybe a way to exchange ideas, supplier/Equipment contacts etc and build up community group relationships

In this day and age the only way to go forward is by forming alliances and information sharing or in a few years from now quite a few groups could disappear from our local landscape.

Thurso Town Improvements
24-Jul-07, 23:57
The T.T.I.A has asked for help in the newspaper, business letters, posters and on the org. numerous times, apart from two people no one else has come forward. We are a very small group who try our best to keep the T.T.I.A going. The committee can not do any more than they already do. For example a few of us were on The Big Gig field from 08:30 am to 11:45pm last year. In 2006 the T.T.I.A had no money and hardly any committee so we had to choose to either fold or get more help.
Without help from other organizations we could not exist and we could not put on such a varied programme. We have worked closely with other groups for years and to them we are truly grateful. We would not dream in turning help down from another organization.
The Dunnet Playgroup and Thurso Football Club came to our aid in a joint venture for it’s a knockout. As our committee was busy with all the other events the playgroup kindly did all the letters to businesses, posters advertising, locating the equipment, organizing the teams and events.
What the public possibly do not know is the equipment for It’s a knockout alone costs over £1,500 which was paid for by the three groups, so not only are they helping us manually they are helping us financially.
The basic cost to run the Gala is over £3000 the collection on Gala night takes in around £4000; hence we have to come up with ideas to fundraise.
The committee not only runs the Gala but does things throughout the year to pay for the following Gala, Christmas lights and other projects.
I just wish we had more help and more money to do bigger and better things for our Community.

Doreen Macleod
T.T.I.A Chairwoman

Gogglebox
25-Jul-07, 00:04
The T.T.I.A has asked for help in the newspaper, business letters, posters and on the org. numerous times, apart from two people no one else has come forward. We are a very small group who try our best to keep the T.T.I.A going. The committee can not do any more than they already do. For example a few of us were on The Big Gig field from 08:30 am to 11:45pm last year. In 2006 the T.T.I.A had no money and hardly any committee so we had to choose to either fold or get more help.
Without help from other organizations we could not exist and we could not put on such a varied programme. We have worked closely with other groups for years and to them we are truly grateful. We would not dream in turning help down from another organization.
The Dunnet Playgroup and Thurso Football Club came to our aid in a joint venture for it’s a knockout. As our committee was busy with all the other events the playgroup kindly did all the letters to businesses, posters advertising, locating the equipment, organizing the teams and events.
What the public possibly do not know is the equipment for It’s a knockout alone costs over £1,500 which was paid for by the three groups, so not only are they helping us manually they are helping us financially.
The basic cost to run the Gala is over £3000 the collection on Gala night takes in around £4000; hence we have to come up with ideas to fundraise.
The committee not only runs the Gala but does things throughout the year to pay for the following Gala, Christmas lights and other projects.
I just wish we had more help and more money to do bigger and better things for our Community.

Doreen Macleod
T.T.I.A Chairwoman

Good luck to you,your committee and the groups you work with and support for this year Im sure it will be a great success, Ive seen how much hard work you all have to do and i am sure most appreciate your efforts.
I hope to get to some of the 27 things you have on in gala week if im around!

Scallywags Nursery
06-Aug-07, 09:34
I’m glad I found out about this after the event as I was on holiday. I just wanted to set a few straight on who we were and what we do.

We are Scallywags Nursery, a committee led group with charitable status, SCO 13353. We are based within the groups of Crossroads School, Dunnet and serve the catchment area of Brough, Barrock, Scarfskerry and Mey. The children that attend our group receive a funded place from the government as does every child of pre-school age in the country, however as we are committee run we fund our on activities, building etc. We like it that way as we as parents have more involvement in our children’s education.

Over the past 3 years we have moved from the village hall in Dunnet, as someone correctly said, most of the children from the village of Dunnet attend Castletown school, our children attend Crossroads. We fought to move the nursery to the school, raised over £38, 000 through grants but mostly fundraising ourselves. We secured a lease, planning permission and erected our own building. As you can appreciate we are a small organisation, around 14 children ( 10 families), supported by a small community.

We have been involved with the TTIA for a while now, offering support at various events, child friendly stalls such as face painting balloons etc. We initially offered advise and exchanged ideas as we became dab hands at the fund raising and Have practically tried everything imaginable over the years.
The It’s knockout was originally my idea. We got together with TTIA after the successful but uneventful gala fun day last year. The costs to hire the equipment, insurance etc were high, so a small organisation such as ourselves would have struggled. It was thought that we would go together and try and make a decent event worthy for the gala. The Thurso FC were drafted in later on as they were keen also. We split the costs 3 ways and hopefully we will have covered those and made a small profit which will also be split 3 ways.

I think that I can speak for everyone as yesterday was a great success. The teams who took part all seemed to enjoy themselves and the crowd were kept amused by their antics. We got a gorgeous day and it all went smoothly. We got a good turn out, thank you to everyone who attended, took part and contributed in any way, I think you’ll agree that it was well worth all of the hard work. Hopefully we can learn from yesterday and make next years event bigger and better, I’m not sure if we will be taking part, it might be another organisation but at least we at Scallywags can proudly say that we established a Thurso Gala event that was a success and will benefit future charitable organisations - is that not what it’s all about ?
Congratulations to the Fire Brigade who were all such great sports and made us all roar with laughter in the process. The also benefited by winning £100 towards their own charitable trust - good for them !!!

All that leaves me to say is that it has been a pleasure working with Doreen and her committee, along with Iain and his football committee, thank you for allowing us the privilege. The .org , courtesy of Bill Fernie is also the best vehicle for other local organisations to exchange ideas and information, we should be working together in such a small community as Caithness, staying positive and being proactive not slating each other or being negative. After all it usually by people who are not in full possession of the facts.
Keep up the hard work TTIA, congratulations for another successful gala and we’re only on day 3. Embrace and support these people for doing such a wonderful job, don’t criticise please, they’re trying their best ! Maybe you would all have to say something if the gala and other events feel through completely, that would give you all something to moan about then !

Regards,

Jacqueline Mackenzie

Chairperson
Scallywags Nursery:)

dunderheed
06-Aug-07, 17:02
i find it laughable that someone is complaining about monies going to dunnet playgroup , when no one batted an eyelid last year when monies went to wick!!

lagertops
06-Aug-07, 23:30
Well said Jackie,we need the likes of yourself and Doreen about,if not there would be nothing.I will be helping next week at the big gig.Hope all goes well..

Dynamic Sounds
07-Aug-07, 20:24
I have had worked with TTIA under both my hat, as the disco and as a member of Caithness FM, for many years, and have seen the hard work put in by the committee, not just in Gala week, but throughout the year. The committee may be small, but they are EXTREMELY dedicated. They do as much as they can during gala week to keep everyone entertained, but a small group of people can only do so much. If I was in a similar position, and I was offered help by another organisation I would bite their hand off.

I was at the dammies for a while on Sunday, before I hade to go to a previous engagement, and I have to say that the joint organisation worked well, and the people participating certainly looked like they enjoyed themselves. As regarding the funds being split, if I were in a similar fundraising position, I'd rather a share of something, than 100% nothing.

Well done to everyone for organising the event, and keep up ALL the good work!

Graham

PS -Jackie, sorry for not recognising you the other night, old age and all that