PDA

View Full Version : Forby Sutherland does anyone have info on my GGGG Gandfather

tsuth6
11-Jul-05, 02:50
My name is Tandja Sutherland and I was wondering if anyone had any info on my GGGG Grandfather, Forby Sutherland who was the first whiteman to die on Australian soil in 1895. I think that is the date I'm not sure. If there is anyone who has information or is another decendant of Forbys, please email me :D Thankyou.

elizabeth forbes
11-Jul-05, 17:38
Hi, two stories of Forby Sutherland.

(1) " The Surnames of Scotland" by George F. Black
Quote " Forbes Sutherland :- An Aberdeenshire sailor , the first Briton buried on Australian soil, May 1770.

(2) Family Story
Forbes (Forby) Sutherland b. dec. 1736 Orkney Islands ( Flotta) Parent's Alexander Sutherland & Anne Brown. Sailed with Captain Cook in 1768 - 1770 on board the HMS Endeavor and died ( 1 May 1770) once they " discovered" Australia. Captain Cook named the spot where they buried Forby " Sutherland Point" in remembrence of him.
The Forbes/Sutherland link is very strong in Caithness.
In my own "Tree" I have Sutherland Forbes b. 1819 Latheron, Caithness,

cliffhbuber
19-Jul-05, 00:07
Recently, I came across references to the close family ties of Forbes and MacKay, way back when, in Aberdeenshire. Has anyone researched or read some detail of these family links?

the best
Cliff in Canada

forbysearcher
16-Jun-09, 09:25
Hello Tandja. Interested to see that you are descended to Forby Sutherland. I too am from a line of Sutherlands from Flotta, Orkney who claim a connection with Forby. I'd be very pleased to hear more from you about Forby's history.