PDA

View Full Version : HMS Royal Oak

bluelady
21-Jul-07, 11:29
October in the anniversary of the tragic loss of HMS Royal Oak in Scapa flow. I had a relative who died on the ship and i know quite a few of the men came from Caithness.Have any Orgers got connection with the RO? i have posted a web site for you which includes a list of casulties as well as survivours

HMS Royal Oak British battleship sunk by U47 1939 Scapa Flow Orney (http://www.hmsroyaloak.co.uk/)

Rheghead
22-Jul-07, 00:12
Strangely, today, the book in St Magnus's was turned to those poor sailors called Potter on the day that the Potter book was published.

I don't know if it was coincidence or not but however, I really felt for those 833 that went down with the RO, I have some movie shots of my day in Orkney today.

bluelady
22-Jul-07, 00:30
Strangely, today, the book in St Magnus's was turned to those poor sailors called Potter on the day that the Potter book was published.

I don't know if it was coincidence or not but however, I really felt for those 833 that went down with the RO, I have some movie shots of my day in Orkney today.
the book is turned 1 page a day, people can request to see their relatives names in the book and it is then turned back to the page it was turned to that morning, they dont skip the pages, so yes a coinincidence

trinkie
02-Aug-07, 12:29
Bluelady,
I have found a Caithness poem dedicated to the Royal Oak - I'll put it on the Lit Page.
Trinkie

bluelady
02-Aug-07, 20:14
many thanks trinkie :)