PDA

View Full Version : road tax

johno
20-Jul-07, 12:39
So road tax dodgers are costing the tax payer millions of pounds. Apparently one in every twenty cars is being run without road tax.
I thought that the government spent millions on a new computer system linked to the police data base to prevent this from happening. so this is another complete waste of money. what hapenned to all the cameras that can take pic of the no plates & check the vehicle detais in seconds.
surely in this day & age the boffins can come up with something that,ll work
the worry ing thing about this is that if a vehicle is on the public road with no tax then it a good chance there,s no mot & worse still no insurance.[disgust] [mad]

DarkAngel
20-Jul-07, 13:21
Tax Dodger..They will get caught out at some point!! I hate to think i spend so much on road tax..when others just dont bother and get away scot free... What goes around comes around and id rather stay on the right side of the law!!

Hmm...I also wondered what happend to this futuristic machine that did that aswell :roll:

Solus
20-Jul-07, 13:23
I cant see what all the fuss is about, my bike runs fine without it

DarkAngel
20-Jul-07, 13:26
Haha [lol] the cycling kind i take it?

Solus
20-Jul-07, 13:35
cycling, last time i was on a pushbike was 10 years struggling over Spainish mountains, swore never again !!

MadPict
20-Jul-07, 14:24
While I abhor yet more money being added to the cost of a gallon of fuel I have always thought that if the Vehicle Excise License was scrapped and the price of fuel increased accordingly then EVERYONE who uses the roads would be paying the tax.
Tax dodgers would not be able to dodge anymore and would only get away with paying the tax if they actually stole the fuel.
Also heavy users of the roads would pay more tax than say a pensioner only using their car a coupleof times a week.
It would seem to be a far fairer method of taxation than the current system.

Solus
20-Jul-07, 14:35
While i agree a better form of road fund is needed, I think adding it on to the price of fuel would not be acceptable. Think of all the things that use petrol but dont use the road, mowers, quad bikes at off road centres, scramblers, generators, water pumps etc etc. So they will be funding the road tax but not be using the roads !

horseman
20-Jul-07, 20:24
:Razz
infureating, there is a guy in my road he has a big black rover with an 05 tax disc! This means no speeding fines no parking fines and you can bet no insurance nor probably driving licence! I 'm tempted to shop him?:mad:

fred
20-Jul-07, 20:27
So road tax dodgers are costing the tax payer millions of pounds. Apparently one in every twenty cars is being run without road tax.
I thought that the government spent millions on a new computer system linked to the police data base to prevent this from happening. so this is another complete waste of money. what hapenned to all the cameras that can take pic of the no plates & check the vehicle detais in seconds.
surely in this day & age the boffins can come up with something that,ll work
the worry ing thing about this is that if a vehicle is on the public road with no tax then it a good chance there,s no mot & worse still no insurance.[disgust] [mad]

Perhaps if the road tax went directly to the Ministry of Transport to be used for building and maintaining roads and was priced accordingly people wouldn't be so reluctant to pay.

As it is the money goes to the Exchequer to be spent on Trident submarines and things while the government talks about building toll roads.

NickInTheNorth
20-Jul-07, 20:29
Do!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_4022073

It's easy to do, and saves all of us supporting these thieving parasites.

golach
20-Jul-07, 20:31
Do!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_4022073

It's easy to do, and saves all of us supporting these thieving parasites.

Ty for that Nickinthenorth, I will be making use of that :cool:

NickInTheNorth
20-Jul-07, 20:33
I live to serve :)

Ricco
20-Jul-07, 20:43
Ahh, but the police are no longer interested in chasing tax dodgers. You have to report it to the DVLA instead - if you can get through, that is. Then, after days of beaurocracy it gets dealt with by someone in Swansea who......

.... telephones your local police! What a cop-out![disgust]

golach
20-Jul-07, 20:55
Another couple of good web sites

To report druggies, Vat fraudsters, etc
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageContactUs_CustomsConfidential

To report the shirkers
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/campaigns/benefit-thieves/

johno
20-Jul-07, 21:10
Perhaps if the road tax went directly to the Ministry of Transport to be used for building and maintaining roads and was priced accordingly people wouldn't be so reluctant to pay.

As it is the money goes to the Exchequer to be spent on Trident submarines and things while the government talks about building toll roads.
Fred thats as maybe but i dont think the folks that dodge the tax are all that politically minded. i think they are just screwing the system for what its worth.
but, i do agree with you that the revinue from the road tax goes elsewhere other than where it aught to go, on maintaining the roads.

engiebenjy
21-Jul-07, 01:01

Hear hear! somebody talking sense!

Lolabelle
21-Jul-07, 05:31
I wasn't sure what road tax was, so I googled and saw it was on top of your vehicle registration. Why don't they just combine it with road registration, that's how it is in Australia. We have to have road safety checks yearly and then pay rego and have a greenslip, which is an insurance for passengers. You can then pay comprehensive or third party insurance if you like. Easy??? :confused

Ricco
21-Jul-07, 09:08
I wasn't sure what road tax was, so I googled and saw it was on top of your vehicle registration. Why don't they just combine it with road registration, that's how it is in Australia. We have to have road safety checks yearly and then pay rego and have a greenslip, which is an insurance for passengers. You can then pay comprehensive or third party insurance if you like. Easy??? :confused

Ah, Lolabelle. That is much too obvious and straightforward for the UK Gov't. They wouldn't be able to form one of their time wasting quangos and pay themselves loads of extra dosh.:confused

johno
21-Jul-07, 10:51
thats all very well, something like our m.o.t. by the sound of things. but most of the road tax dodgers likely dodge that also. reckon firmer laws like having your vehicle confiscated for auction. that way some of the costs can be clawed back. if the vehicle is nt worth much then there is the scrap value

NickInTheNorth
21-Jul-07, 11:18
The law allows for the confiscation and scrapping of any vehicle failing to display a valid tax disc.

I know a scrappies that gets some of them to scrap, and it is a crying shame to see some of the stuff that's broken there. Seen a 6 month old SLK through there once, immaculate! And they are all broken for parts.

Can pick up some very good quality bits there sometimes!!

Doolally
21-Jul-07, 18:07
What really annoys me with regards to Road Tax is that you now have to pay £18 a year extra if you split it into two six-monthly installments.

If you can't afford to pay the full year all at once, you're penalised for it. Another sign of the Government taking more from those who can least afford it.

stratman
21-Jul-07, 18:48
Well said Doolally!!