PDA

View Full Version : New BT Master socket

Alrock
19-Mar-24, 02:22
Hi...
Need advice on getting a new BT Master socket installed in a new location.

Currently my phone line comes out of a gray box on the wall outside of my living room. The line then runs out of this box, up the side of the house & through the wall into a bedroom at the far end of the house into a socket (installed I believe when the bedroom was being used as an office with a fax machine connected). It then runs through another cable (spliced back together after accidentally getting cut) that snakes it way through the house to another socket in the living room (via a socked on the stairs where the original phone was) which my phone & router are plugged in to.

My question is how would I go about getting a new master socket installed in the living room connected directly to the gray box outside through the wall so that I can rip out the maze of wiring that seems to run everywhere (There is also another old line coming into the house in the downstairs toilet (the original phone line I believe), the one I assumed was the one connected into the living room socket (quite logically since there was also an extention plugged into the stairs socket running to the bedroom) hence the accidental cutting of the other cable)?

More importantly would it be a worthwhile exercise?
Would it improve my internet speed?
What if I upgraded ny internet to FTTC would that make any difference?

Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to provide.

dx100uk
20-Mar-24, 02:39
contact your current internet/landline provider and tell them you are getting intermittent internet loss/poor speeds and lots of random crackling during some phone calls, you've checked things over and believe its your very old socket thats not a master socket (very old installation) and you wish it looked at/changed.
they will schedule openreach to come around and fit a new one for free.

if you are clever when the guy arrives, just explain where you want it and he'll do it and disconnect any old wiring.

once thats sorted then run a few speed tests and see what you are getting then pop up on one of the many sites that advise you what kind of connections like FTTC in your area and what prices/speeds you should get.

dx

i

Alrock
20-Mar-24, 13:42
Thanks for the advice, will try that, just one more question...

Which one?
I have different providers for my landline & internet.

Shell energy (now part of Octopuss I believe, though was the Post Office when I joined) for the landline.
AAISP for the internet.

OR

Should I maybe forget the landline altogether & go with this Acorn Broadband?
Though I just checked their coverage map & fall about 100m outside their coverage area but just how accurate is their map?

dx100uk
22-Mar-24, 23:14
shell energy

100mts could be all the diff
what speeds are you getting now?

Alrock
23-Mar-24, 01:04
I did contact Acorn & they told me I'd be good to go, their map needs updating.

I just ran a speed test & am currently getting...

Used to get at least 8Mbps often as much as 10Mbps. So would be nice to get back to that but really do need to go FTTC (would be my prefered choice), just feel that I wouldn't see the full benefit of that with the dodgy wiring I have.

If I do go FTTC I am considering Pulse8, I have no desire to go with any of the big players, have had nothing but bother with them in the past.

dx100uk
30-Mar-24, 03:36
for FTTC you need to see if it's available to you (or When) by using one of the many postcode sites.

you need to get your master socket sorted and other wiring checked before you dump your current LL internet feed . whilst you are with a landline internet provider openreach visit/sort will typically be free. you dump LL BB. to get it back and sorted for FTTC will then cost you.