PDA

View Full Version : Go Explore

SOAC
18-Jul-07, 18:53
Just a thought for the better :confused summer weather.

Has anyone set themselves a target for what to explore out and about in the County?

I have ticked off sandy beaches this year with Reiss/Keiss, Freswick, Sandy Geo, Peedie sands, Thurso, Scrabster, Sandside, Dunbeath and Sannick - but have I missed any?

The next challenge is abandoned fishing stations/bays with Sarclet, Whaligoe (and the two other flights of steps not far away), Occumster, Clyth, Berriedale visited thus far...

All in all a bit of a doorstep challenge that is making me realise increasingly what is near at hand rather than travelling outwith the County for 'days out'

George Brims
18-Jul-07, 19:55
Where are the other flights of steps? My great grandfather fished out of Whaligoe but I didn't know it was not unique.

Phoebus_Apollo
18-Jul-07, 20:23
I`ve enjoyed finding "secret" sites in Caithness..http://www.caithness.org/links/rocposts/index.htm shows a list of the ROC stations - Duncansby Head was the most accessable if somewhat disgusting once inside.

karia
18-Jul-07, 20:35
All in all a bit of a doorstep challenge that is making me realise increasingly what is near at hand rather than travelling outwith the County for 'days out'[/quote]

I agree! We do not rate that which is under our noses and that we reckon there will always be time to see,..later!

Add Strathy point and the wonderful cliffs that surround to your itinerary and I'll add the falkirk wheel to mine!;)

karia

SOAC
19-Jul-07, 12:17
In answer to George Brims, have a look along the coastline by the Old kirk at Bruan (OK so not immediately close to Whaligoe). Both sets are very dangerous so I wouldn't actually advise going down them. One is at the head of a Geo and the other drops down the cliff to the remains of a building with a stack to the front.

Both are in very poor states of repair and not to be tackled so a major health warning over that type of exploration - however there shouldn't be anything to stop you exploring to find the top end of them - apart from crossing the A9 and negotiating a couple of fences.

peter macdonald
19-Jul-07, 13:52
SOAC Power to your elbow !!!!! Regarding the abandoned fishing stations Here are some more for you !!! In 1838.... Forse 32 boats Clyth 53 boats East Clyth 18 boats Swiney 10 boats Latheron wheel 35 boats plus over a hundred at Lybster all in the parish of Latheron There was the curing station of Achastle If you feel really adventurous boats also fished from Iresgoe At Broadhaven there was a fishing presence ..indeed also a bit of a riot over a dispute about the building of a pier and around 1855 Greengoe Ullergoe and Elzie all had boats belonging them There is also Staxigoe and Freswick to be considered

Aye a heck of a lot of history especially around Clyth Latheron Wheel Sarclet and Whaligoe just a pity the council cant be bothered to put up boards to tell folks about it
All best and keep telling us about your "in county travels "
PM
ps a good one would be all the castles in Caithness but that would take a fair while to complete I think it could be as many as 48

the charlatans
19-Jul-07, 15:00
Funny that Soac, we're having a holiday at home too and are doing all the 'touristy' things in Caithness that we always want to do but never get round to.

We were going to Ullapool for a couple of nights but were quoted £63 a night each bed and breakfast and lost enthusiasm then.

So far we've been to the visitors centre at Pulteney Distillery, Mr C loved that and the staff are awfy friendly. Went to Duncansby Head to look at the puffins and for a cup of tea at Groats. Went for a good forage in the library and into the old Local Section which was well interesting. Been to the swimming pool. And tomorrow we're going on a day trip to Stromness (which i suppose isn't in Caithness but well its close enough not to bother with normally). And of course on Saturday is the County Show.
Plenty to do here really.

SOAC
19-Jul-07, 18:01
I have always thought that the coast in its entirety should be studied and promoted. The fishing stations make for a good human element on which to hang any number of other interests and issues from.

Most folk on seeing the Haven at sarclet are just as impressed if not more so than a visit to Whaligoe - although for different reasons I suppose in that Whaligoe gives an impression of human struggle at an individual level whilst the Haven leaves the impression of the destruction of what is thought of as a 'proper' harbour. The stones of the old breakwater still clinging to the cliff to one side and the mass of obviously worked stones in the Haven along with Windlass?, track and buildings are really quite thought provoking.

The community spirit and interest that seems to be there with the success of endevours such as the recent events in Wick would suggest considerable interest in a part of the past that is more tangible than the more ancient archaeology in the County.

Thanks for the facts and figures peter macdonald. It is interesting that such a long list exists for the East Coast - which I daresay will be similar in the North having recently explored around Brims and Crosskirk.

Kenn
19-Jul-07, 21:03
Don't forget to take in some seal watching, there are sveral view points where you can get great views without having to get too close.
Gills Bay, Brough Harbour and Ham Bay.
We usually take binoculars with us to that we can keep our distance and not disturb then when they are hauled out.
Worth panning the bins at Gills in the next few weeks as the bay porpoises should be there too.

helenwyler
19-Jul-07, 21:53
Can I cash in on some local expertise on fishing harbours here please?

This photo was taken 14th July. I think it's Freswick harbour, but we seemed to have gone a little way past the 'Freswick' boundry sign when we found our way down to the harbour. (Please excuse MrW getting in the way of a reasonable photo[lol]!)

If it is Freswick, does anyone know when it closed?

There are three 'monuments' along the shore. The one we saw close up has FESTINA LENTE (Hasten Slowly, I think). Can anyone tell me more about these? My gggrandad was a farmer/fisherman here, but seems to have died before 1841.

Thanks!

Helen

peter macdonald
19-Jul-07, 23:04
Helen this pic is at Nybster pier ..the best place for information is in the Canisbay book which contains some information supplied by the late Don Robertson of Auckingill What I can tell you (from memory!) is that fishing was for a time successfully undertaken from here It was perhaps more famous as base for the Pentland Firth pilots who used their skill to guide sailing ships through the firth It was because of this some of the pilots acquired nick names such as Montreal and Bergen The little Monument to the North side of the harbour is in fact a lighthouse built by the sculptor and archeologist John Nicholson (also an amazing painter) which was used in line with a light in a house up on the brae as running lights to allow vessels to access the pier The lights ceased to be used around the mid 1930s although I believe there is an elderly lady still alive (as until recently) who helped place the lantern in the structure in her youth when the light was still active
Hope this helps but the arcticle by Don Robertson described above is very informative

helenwyler
19-Jul-07, 23:31
Thankyou so much Peter, I find all this so interesting!

Do you or anybody else know where I can get hold of a copy of the Canisbay Book by any chance?

Thanks again:)

peter macdonald
20-Jul-07, 07:54
Your local library should be able to get a copy for you I would think

Lest We Forget the Parish of Canisbay by Anne L. Houston (Paperback - Nov 1996)

Helen this of my memory so I would ask a wee bit more if there are other better sources of info
All best
PM