PDA

View Full Version : London 2012

scotsboy
06-Jul-05, 13:19
Great news or not bothered? I think it is great news.

Drutt
06-Jul-05, 13:26
I think it'll irritate the socks off a lot of Londoners.

Firstly, because London barely moves in rush hour and tourists on the tube are already a pain, so locals might want to just get out of London during the Olympics.

Secondly, because London will have to pay for a lot of it and many Londoners don't think they'll see enough benefits for it to be worth their while paying for it.

I'm sort of not bothered. I think it's an expensive way of promoting the UK (can you tell I'm not sporty?) and I'm not convinced that the UK will make more money from the Olympics than it will have to shell out on it.

laguna2
06-Jul-05, 14:18
Can't work up any enthusiasm about it to be honest :roll:

As far as I can see, Scotland will get none of the benefits but will have to pay our share of the costs to build the venues/host the games.

Sandra
06-Jul-05, 15:50
I think it's great news, if only because it will inpsire athletes/would be athletes, Scots included. Surely that is a good thing!

squidge
06-Jul-05, 20:41
I think its great news - i was hugely impressed with the changes that the Commonwealth games encouraged Manchester to make. I thought the games them selves were fabulous, the sense of pride and encouragement to people who lived there worked there and took inspiration from there can only be bettered with the olympics. I for one will be going gor sure - what a great way to show ourselves on the world stage - fabulous!

hereboy
06-Jul-05, 20:47
Ok, riddle me this....

1996 Atlanta - cost ~ 2.5 Bn$
2000 Sydney - cost~ 3.0 Bn$
2004 Athens - cost~ 12.0 Bn$
2008 Beijing - budget ~ 23.0 Bn$
2012 London - budget ~ 5.0 Bn$

Ah, the numbers add up perfectly...!

Rheghead
06-Jul-05, 20:49
Ok, riddle me this....

1996 Atlanta - cost ~ 2.5 Bn$
2000 Sydney - cost~ 3.0Bn$
2004 Athens - cost~ 12.0 Bn$
2008 Beijing - budget ~ 23.0 Bn$
2102 London - budget ~ 5.0Bn$

Ah, the numbers add up perfectly...!

Well your dates certainly don't! :lol:

hereboy
06-Jul-05, 20:50
I think you will find they do... ;)

Rheghead
06-Jul-05, 20:51
2102? An archetect was quoted as saying the cost will be £4 billion, if we re-employ the monkeys that did the Scottish Parliament then be ready for a real shocker!!

hereboy
06-Jul-05, 20:54
Its a fair cop... ;)

I did write 2102, posted it, noticed my folly and edited it, unbeknownst to me you had nipped in and captured the evidence, but my edited post still went in before yours so I thought I had gotten away with it!!

weeboyagee
07-Jul-05, 12:02
I was pleased (choke, chough... ;) ) that they got it too. I think it will be a good thing. I agree that the Olympics in the UK will inspire more people (especially younger folk) to take up sport, be good at sport or better themselves at sport. Of course I include myself in that bracket! I think the Olympics are a great spectacle and was glued to it every day last year! Such a pity I also believe that Scotland will not receive a big benefit from the revenue (if there will be any) generated at the end of the day - but who knows! Off to the pool now to do a few lengths, need to get practicing!........ :D

Mad Martigan
07-Jul-05, 13:15
I think it's a great. Anything that will encourage today's youth to get outside and enjoy sport rather than wasting their time on ps2's etc is a good thing.