PDA

View Full Version : new to this

goldfishpond
14-Jul-07, 23:46
I am just doing my first post so here goes.I am trying to locate my forebears John Meiklejohn came to Australia in the late 19th century I believe,so I am starting at this point does any one have any further ideas.I believe he ended up at a place called Canal Creek in Queensland.He came from Wick or Thurso.We passed through both places in 1987 had a great time lovely place for now I will await any response.Lyn

Lolabelle
15-Jul-07, 00:19
Lyn (Goldfishpond)
there is a geneology section on the org, and lots of people who are up on that stuff hang there, so it may be an idea to look there aswell. Best of Luck with it, and welcome aboard

Ricco
15-Jul-07, 08:15
I am just doing my first post so here goes.I am trying to locate my forebears John Meiklejohn came to Australia in the late 19th century I believe,so I am starting at this point does any one have any further ideas.I believe he ended up at a place called Canal Creek in Queensland.He came from Wick or Thurso.We passed through both places in 1987 had a great time lovely place for now I will await any response.Lyn

Meiklejohn is a name I remember from Thurso - there was even a Meiklejohn at school with me. So, you may be in the right geographical area.

Angela
15-Jul-07, 09:11
Hello, goldfishpond :)

Welcome to the Org!

I have a John Meiklejohn in my family tree born in Caithness about 1875. He would still have been in the county in 1898, but after that I have no info. (I will PM you what I know.)

It's going to be difficult to know where to start, if you don't have his parents' names or his date or place of birth, although you would be able to find Meiklejohn families on the FREECEN census site.

Lolabelle's suggestion is a good one -some of us do also post on the genealogy board -but some folk ONLY post there and don't look at the general one, so it would certainly be an idea to post there too.

I can post your query to the Caithness Family History Group forum as well, if you like?

There must be info available on shipping lists to Australia -just not something I've used so far...

Good luck! :)

DarkAngel
15-Jul-07, 10:32
Welcome to the Org Golfishpond..Enjoy posting!