PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter

porshiepoo
12-Jul-07, 23:50
So who went to see it??????????
Have to say my friend and I were first in the seats :lol:, at the first showing and nope, we didn't take kids!

Absolutely loved it!
Can't wait for the book next week - have that ordered too.

Lolabelle
13-Jul-07, 01:24
Which one is the latest movie?? I have read all of the series and ordered the new book. But I cant remember where the movies are up to. :roll:

porshiepoo
13-Jul-07, 08:32
This one was Harry Potter and the order of the Phoenix.
I actually didn't enjoy the book too much but the film was great.:)

Jill
13-Jul-07, 10:08
I have just re-read the whole series in preparation for reading the latest one and I have to say that the Order of the Phoenix is certainly the most depressing one to my mind! But I would love to see the film, just to see how Loony Lovegood comes across - she is such a hilarious character :-D

paris
13-Jul-07, 11:17
Oh Poo TUT TUT ! jan x:lol:

corgiman
13-Jul-07, 11:18
My daughter and her friends went to the 1st showing yesterday for her birthday treat and loved it, she said the only downside was that every time they laughed a woman in front told them off so I hope they were not being brats :eek: it would be unusual for them but I know kids are not always angels.

ruby
13-Jul-07, 12:38
I have read all the series of boofs and ordered the new book but I have not seen order of the phoenix yet.

kas
13-Jul-07, 12:49
Loved it too.

I was like of some of you and thought that it was the poorest of the books, but the film was fantastic. The films have grown up just like the characters, I took my son when he was four to watch the first one, whereas I dont think this one wouldnt be suitable for a four year old.

I wonder what people who have not read the book beforehand think of the film?

I have been watching all the films again and read the sixth book again in preparation for next week.
Roll on next Saturday I am dying to read the final installment.

I also pray the press do not reveal what happens.

Mr_Me19
13-Jul-07, 14:39
I wonder what people who have not read the book beforehand think of the film?~Kas

That was exactly my thought. I thought the film was the worst out the lot. But I would love to have seen it if I had never read the books. Although they left so much unexplained and they left so much more out completely.
Anyone else thinking about the scene where Umbridge tries to get Hagrid during the astronomy exam? Poor Prof. McGonagall in St.Mungos?

If you never knew about those things then I'm sure it would be great and very gripping. But as an avid fan of the books I have to say I was not impressed at all. Sorry porshiepoo....

Serenity
13-Jul-07, 14:50
I went to see the film last night, it was the best yet :)

Does anyone know the earliest place in Caithness to get the book next Saturday? Preferably Thurso but I might go through to Wick if it is considerably earlier!

Mr_Me19
13-Jul-07, 15:05
I know that Jim Bews is open at midnight (you should wear a costume....:)). But if you don't want to be up then, then I would try there first thing in the morning and if not then Tescos.

Serenity
13-Jul-07, 15:09
I know that Jim Bews is open at midnight (you should wear a costume....:)). But if you don't want to be up then, then I would try there first thing in the morning and if not then Tescos.

Oh I didn't know it was open at midnight!! Thank you :) Sadly I don't have a costume though.

Mr_Me19
13-Jul-07, 15:13
Well I am 99% sure it is seeing as I was invited in by a neighbour.... Lol!

Serenity
13-Jul-07, 15:20
Well I am 99% sure it is seeing as I was invited in by a neighbour.... Lol!
I'm sure you are right but I'll check when I am passing later!

Lassie
14-Jul-07, 19:09
I went to see the film last night without reading the book beforehand. i thought the film was absoloutely amazing and i really enjoyed it. Wasn't quite as happy when my friend decided she would scare the life out of my by grabbing my side and going boo at a gripping bit of the film. Overall very good i thought. x

kas
14-Jul-07, 21:37
I'm sure you are right but I'll check when I am passing later!

Poster advertising a midnight opening in the front shop window.

johno
14-Jul-07, 21:49
Well im sorry but i think that its all crap, not my kind of thing.
But live & let live i spose.Different strokes for different folk,s,?

:roll: :eyes

porshiepoo
14-Jul-07, 21:53
I wonder what people who have not read the book beforehand think of the film?~Kas

That was exactly my thought. I thought the film was the worst out the lot. But I would love to have seen it if I had never read the books. Although they left so much unexplained and they left so much more out completely.
Anyone else thinking about the scene where Umbridge tries to get Hagrid during the astronomy exam? Poor Prof. McGonagall in St.Mungos?

If you never knew about those things then I'm sure it would be great and very gripping. But as an avid fan of the books I have to say I was not impressed at all. Sorry porshiepoo....

I completely agree.
I loved the film but there was certainly alot missing. They didn't really explain the 'prophecy' as they did in the book and as it was a major part of the storyline, it was a tad annoying. Also, at the end Harry is supposed to go on a 'Dumbledore' wrecking spree if my memory serves me right? That part of it was missed out.

Like I said before, I didn't really enjoy the book of this one so I thought the film was great all in all. In fact, sad as I am, I'm hoping to go back tommorrow - with a child of course!:)

Dave Taylor
15-Jul-07, 00:54
I saw the film on Friday, and I think they did a good job of squeezing 766 pages of the book into about two hours on the screen. Warner Bros seem to realise now, that most of the people who go to see the HP films have read the books, so there's no need to explain things that cropped up in the earlier books, or to cram in every last detail. The team were as good as usual, but I thought that Imelda Staunton was good as Dolores Umbridge, from the Ministry -- in the book, her "reforms" at Hogwarts were hair-tearingly frustrating, and that came over well in the film. Yes, the films are getting darker each time -- at this rate, HP7 will be pitch black! but at least we know what to expect now. The digital effects were good, and I specially liked the way the gang's patronuses (? patroni ?) swirled around the room like luminous smoke. The Ministry looked good too.
Now, the last book is only a few days away...What will we do when the books and the films are over? More to the point, what has JK got up her sleeve?

Max
16-Jul-07, 10:47
Yep I loved the film thought it was really well done. Harry was really angry and depressed in the book for a lot of the time and I think a lot of that was shortened/cut out in the film which worked well. I would go and see it again. I liked the bit about Hagrids half brother he was much nicer than I remembered from the book! Did a Centaur not go to teach at Hogwarts in the book? and the ghosts played a part in getting rid of Umbridge I'm sure! Can't wait to get stuck into the new book. How far the stories have come from the Philosphers stone!!

Mr_Me19
16-Jul-07, 13:00
Yeah definately loads missing from the book. I'm going to be reading the books in the next few days (to prepare my self for the final one) so i will make a note of the differences and post it here.

The scene that annoyed me the most however is Dumbledore's *uselessness* when fighting voldemort *gasp* at the end. He seems to be much worse. Not at all like the book where they are equally matched. Being perfectly honest I find it quite insulting to his character. And i'm sure that JKR does too.