PDA

View Full Version : Freecycle!

Drutt
04-Jul-05, 21:42
Would anyone be interested in setting up a Freecycle group for Caithness? I would, but I don't live there anymore, you know how it is. :D

Freecycle is about giving away things that other people might find useful rather than bin them. Since charity shops can also bin donations that haven't sold, it's a good way of ensuring your ex-possessions have gone to a good home. I've been having a great clearout of redundant stuff and people have come to collect it, which saves me trips to the charity shops.

It's set up initially via the parent group freecycle.org (http://www.freecycle.org/). Though that appears to be a very North American-oriented site, don't be put off, because individual freecycle groups are managed through a Yahoo group.

The Glasgow freecycle group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/glasgow-freecycle/) was set up 7 months ago and already has nearly 1500 members, while the new Inverness group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/inverness_freecycle/) was set up less than 6 weeks ago and already has 69 members.

You can also post to ask for things you're looking for, so long as they're not ridiculous requests (like "I'd like a free DVD recorder please").

Any volunteers? You know you want to. :)

Geo
24-Feb-06, 16:20
I was going to post about Freecycle but found your post Drutt. It's a great idea and seems to work well. I joined the Inverness one. Recently there have been such diverse items as an 80' x 25' shed, coalbunker, carpets, printer, photocopier etc. Well worth a look.

wickerinca
24-Feb-06, 19:42
That is a great idea! Sometimes you have things that you can't be bothered to sell as they wouldn't make much ....but you don't want to throw them away as they are still good!

Must check for one here.......maybe could swap a few thing!:)

unicorn
24-Feb-06, 22:13
well this is the perfect place to have it maybe we just need a free section...pleassssse :)

nicnak
24-Feb-06, 22:23
I have to agree come on Niall is there anything you can do?

ice box
24-Feb-06, 22:32
I think that would be a cracking idea yeh come on niall is there ?

angela5
24-Feb-06, 22:57
Brilliant idea..i've loads of stuff in the spare room that is in good condition, i just have'nt had the time to get rid of it all..now if someone was coming to collect it hmmm! great..

knightofeth
25-Feb-06, 00:24
I would defo join it.. I'm a member of the glasgow one already. I have a few things up here that it would be good to get rid of.

krieve
25-Feb-06, 00:26
This is a great idea have lots of stuff i need to get rid of .

Niall Fernie
26-Feb-06, 10:57
Thanks to my Mum for pointing out this thread to me, I missed it during my 2 days of no-net-access.

Give me yer ideas for a name and I'll get it set up.

golach
26-Feb-06, 10:58
Thanks to my Mum for pointing out this thread to me, I missed it during my 2 days of no-net-access.

Give me yer ideas for a name and I'll get it set up.
how about "Swapshop" Niall

unicorn
26-Feb-06, 11:20
orgers freebies

cuddlepop
26-Feb-06, 11:25
Good idea,must admit when i first read the caption i thought it was for a cycle group doooooh.[lol]

angela5
26-Feb-06, 13:35
free from the orgers..

the word free will catch attention..:)

unicorn
26-Feb-06, 14:48
This place is brilliant I needed to get rid of a pc desk advertised it last nite and it was gone from my house 45 minutes later!! is this a record :)

angela5
26-Feb-06, 15:49
This place is brilliant I needed to get rid of a pc desk advertised it last nite and it was gone from my house 45 minutes later!! is this a record :)

That's fantastic unicorn..i'd say that's a record indeed..

Saveman
26-Feb-06, 16:31
"Free Stuff" The free stuff section.....get your free stuff here!

katarina
26-Feb-06, 18:45
I'm up for it! Where can we list the stuff we don't want?

Ann
26-Feb-06, 19:27
Well said Saveman; "Free Stuff"; says it all.......

Niall Fernie
26-Feb-06, 20:59
"Free Stuff" forum has now been added to the classifieds, will come up with a suitable description later (suggestions welcome)