PDA

View Full Version : Public Toilets

Ash
11-Jul-07, 18:07
was on holiday last week in embo and i know its a holiday park but the womens toilets were absolutely disgusting! i used the mens toilets and they were spotless! i couldnt believe it, also we went into dunrobin castle i took my 3year old to the public toilets and they were vile! what on earth is going on......... it was that bad she refused to use the toilet and i didnt blame her [evil]

corgiman
11-Jul-07, 18:10
public toilets are to be avoided at all costs yuck!!!!! I must say though the best toilets are the public ones I have used in Turkey, there is someone at the door and you pay on the way out (about 10p) and they even give you lemon handwash as you leave.

Ash
11-Jul-07, 18:22
the ones at the inverness train station that u pay 20p for used to be lovely now they are vile....... but for some reason womens toilets are worse, doesnt say much for us women!

brew
11-Jul-07, 18:24
was on holiday last week in embo and i know its a holiday park but the womens toilets were absolutely disgusting! i used the mens toilets and they were spotless! i couldnt believe it, also we went into dunrobin castle i took my 3year old to the public toilets and they were vile! what on earth is going on......... it was that bad she refused to use the toilet and i didnt blame her [evil]

And where you doing in the mens toilets?

Ash
11-Jul-07, 18:26
they were cleaner and closer to my tent! lol

brew
11-Jul-07, 18:27
Shocking.....

emszxr
11-Jul-07, 18:29
thats why sometimes i use a lay by rather than a public toilet. some of them are disgusting.

changilass
11-Jul-07, 18:30
Toilets are only a mess cos of the folks that use them, I can never work out what is so hard about flushing a toilet or picking up tissue if you drop it on the floor, folks wouldn't do it at home so why do it in public toilets, its disgusting[disgust]

paris
11-Jul-07, 18:37
Since our local pub has gone no smoking last week , we've noticed the awful smell from the ladies loos, It must of been really smelly with all the smoking but now you can smell toilets instead !:eek: jan x

DarkAngel
11-Jul-07, 20:27
I cant stand public Toilets either...They are disgusting..And Yes i have to admit to ripping the toilet paper off and setting it on the toilet seat...:( Sometime have to hover above the seat as there is no way on earth id sit my bum on that... Yes ive noticed that ladies toilets are much more disgusting and dirtier than the mens!! :confused

Ash
11-Jul-07, 20:30
only word i can use to describe this is rank!
i was shocked at dunrobin castle i mean the place is amazing but the toilets are shocking!!!

DarkAngel
11-Jul-07, 20:33
Yes Dunrobin castle is gorgeous..Shame the toilets aint either!!
Most public places have rank toilets..The only place that has really clean toilets are Wetherspoons in Wick...The toilets are lovely... The toilets in Zeros are rank aswell..With the seats missing on most of the toilets.. :roll:

Rheghead
11-Jul-07, 20:35
The worse toilets must be the Helmsdale toilets by the riverside. They are minging enough for a bloke but mrs has described a real nightmare in her bit, it wasn't good for a woman in her condition[evil]

crashbandicoot1979
11-Jul-07, 20:38
Public toilets are gross. I was speaking to a woman once who used to clean toilets and she said that women's toilets are always much more disgusting than mens. And a bouncer who used to work in Skinandis told me pretty much the same thing about the toilets in there at the end of the night.

We women must have some pretty rank toilet habits.

DarkAngel
11-Jul-07, 20:40
Hmmm ....Its not putting out a good rep for us girls huh!!!!:(

horseman
11-Jul-07, 20:57
Hmmm ....Its not putting out a good rep for us girls huh!!!!:(

The quotes on the subject I find really hard to understand.That is to believe,specially the castle ones!:(

johno
11-Jul-07, 21:32
public toilets are to be avoided at all costs yuck!!!!! I must say though the best toilets are the public ones I have used in Turkey, there is someone at the door and you pay on the way out (about 10p) and they even give you lemon handwash as you leave.

a couple of loo,s i seen in turkey were just holes in the floor that you had to squat on. [primitive] most bog,s in turkey have a bin besides it that you have to dump the paper in after youv,e used it as the waste pipe isn,t big enough to to flush. [primitive] [disgust]

DarkAngel
11-Jul-07, 21:41
a couple of loo,s i seen in turkey were just holes in the floor that you had to squat on. [primitive] most bog,s in turkey have a bin besides it that you have to dump the paper in after youv,e used it as the waste pipe isn,t big enough to to flush. [primitive] [disgust]

Gosh..Didnt know that one...Imagine the stench coming from the Bin...Yuck!!!:eek:

karia
11-Jul-07, 21:47
The worse toilets must be the Helmsdale toilets by the riverside. They are minging enough for a bloke but mrs has described a real nightmare in her bit, it wasn't good for a woman in her condition

Hi Rheghead,

They are truly awful!

For such a nice place, yukky loo's!.. Not good enough![evil][evil]

Wishing you all the best !

Karia

Ash
11-Jul-07, 21:50
The quotes on the subject I find really hard to understand.That is to believe,specially the castle ones!:(

sad but true... its truly vile!
My mum used to clean the toilets in the high school, heard some god awful stories about the girls toilets! to disgusting for here

golach
11-Jul-07, 22:13
In the 60's I was a Baths & Wines Steward on a passenger liner the Orontes traveling to Australia and back, I had a 10 stall mens toilet to look after and a 1 stall ladies, and I have to say the ladies were not the cleanest of passengers.
But I used to have the last laugh, when serving the ladies their wines at Lunch and Dinner, thinking "Well Madam, this hand was stuck down your loo, unblocking it an hour ago" [lol]

Victoria
11-Jul-07, 22:45
the ones at the inverness train station that u pay 20p for used to be lovely now they are vile....... but for some reason womens toilets are worse, doesnt say much for us women!

I'll agree with you there Ash. I've seen some truely vile things in womens toilets over the years.

I always go in the blokes if i can get away with it! hahah

They're cleaner because they don't use the cubicles as often just the urinals

Victoria
11-Jul-07, 22:47
In the 60's I was a Baths & Wines Steward on a passenger liner the Orontes traveling to Australia and back, I had a 10 stall mens toilet to look after and a 1 stall ladies, and I have to say the ladies were not the cleanest of passengers.
But I used to have the last laugh, when serving the ladies their wines at Lunch and Dinner, thinking "Well Madam, this hand was stuck down your loo, unblocking it an hour ago" [lol]

euughhh Golach!! In the words of my neice - THATS MINGING!

Andrew
11-Jul-07, 22:50
see you wimmen shouldnt curse us blokes when we leave the seat up now, cos it proves wimmen are more mingin than men !!!!!

Victoria
11-Jul-07, 22:53
I just can't help wondering what these people are like that leave them in that state.

Why aren't you embarrassed people!

WeeBurd
11-Jul-07, 22:53
I once worked in a local office where the ladies toilets were so disgusting at one point, a notice was placed inside each cubicle asking women to be a little more considerate. Shocking that this was necessarry, but it didn't half give you the baulk going into them sometimes [disgust].

Incidentally, the toilets in Izmir(?) airport in Turkey, are the usually Turkish hole in the ground. That's fine and dandy, but the floor is highly polished stone, and the doors have quite a gap at the bottom - the view whilst waiting in the queue to use them, was enough to put me right off until I got to the privacy of our own hotel room :eek:.

Julia
11-Jul-07, 23:27
Not only do I avoid public toilets but I don't think I'd fancy visiting Turkey soon either :lol:

The council or whoever provides public facilities should provide that alcohol spray stuff as standard, it's a contraption on the wall which squirts a well-aimed spray of product all over the toilet seat etc.. leaving it germ-free, a quick wipe with some toilet roll and you are good to go - literally!

Fran
12-Jul-07, 01:51
We were in Helmsdale the other day and the public toilets there are the worst I have seen anywhere. the best ones are in majorca.

bky
12-Jul-07, 07:50
for boggin bogs the ones in Golspie take some beating - best ones are at the rose garden in Tain

the nomad
12-Jul-07, 08:44
I regularly visit Embo and have to confess standards are slipping, I hope you created a stink, excuse the pun, with the Management. You pay for the toilets in your pitching fee so demand a refund.

squidge
12-Jul-07, 09:31
I was in the public toilets ats Invermoriston the other day and they were FANTASTIC. I always found the Dornoch ones very pleasant too although its been a while.

Toilets are always a worry wherever we go with the group that im in. Often they are portaloos and i cant do them just now. The worst situation was in Caerlaverock Castle last summer when the visitors centre toilets were out of use as they had a burst pipe. They only had the temporary ones and they werent great - i got into the habit of watching for the girls going in to clean them and going immediately afterwards. Worked ok mostly.

bluelady
12-Jul-07, 09:45
Men mostly use the urinals and therefore dont use toilet paper, they dont always wash their hands either -( hence why snacks and ice cubes are not on bars anymore),so not many hand towels. Maybe why womans toilets are more messy with paper etc. I have been in a loo behind someone ? a hoverer or Squatter has peed over the seat or floor. If I have to use them i wipe the seat first or yes hover and aim straight :lol: I think our Wick and Thurso loos are a credit, ive been told its a nightmare to clean them at times, especially xmas, new year and gala, hats off to the attendants

DarkAngel
12-Jul-07, 14:11
Men mostly use the urinals and therefore dont use toilet paper, they dont always wash their hands either -( hence why snacks and ice cubes are not on bars anymore),so not many hand towels. Maybe why womans toilets are more messy with paper etc. I have been in a loo behind someone ? a hoverer or Squatter has peed over the seat or floor. If I have to use them i wipe the seat first or yes hover and aim straight :lol: I think our Wick and Thurso loos are a credit, ive been told its a nightmare to clean them at times, especially xmas, new year and gala, hats off to the attendants

I agree with you there the toilets in wick aint all that bad really.. The ones in golspie are manking and there is never a light on either...

Jill
13-Jul-07, 10:20
Being very pregnant at the moment I spend a lot of time running off to the loo ... :D ... and I have to say the ones in Thurso have never let me down - maybe a bit shabby but always spotless. As bluelady says, all credit to the attendants - they obviously care about doing their job well and it is hugely appreciated by people like me who gotta go when they've gotta go ... !

DarkAngel
13-Jul-07, 11:09
Being very pregnant at the moment I spend a lot of time running off to the loo ... :D ... and I have to say the ones in Thurso have never let me down - maybe a bit shabby but always spotless. As bluelady says, all credit to the attendants - they obviously care about doing their job well and it is hugely appreciated by people like me who gotta go when they've gotta go ... !

Gosh i remember that running to the loo very often when i was pregnant....Thankfully i wont be getting in that state again lol :lol:

NLP
13-Jul-07, 11:27
You have to ask yourself why the cleaners don't have longer hours as they are really needed, they could be going in mid day .

nicnak
13-Jul-07, 12:21
Johno its not just in Turkey, the majority of public loos in France are stand and squat as my sister in law calls them with a bin as the sewerage system in alot of europe is still outdated,three years ago we went to a fantastic campsite in spain it had proper loos but you still had to put the paper in a bin next to the toilet, these didnt smell as the toilets were cleaned very regularly and people didnt abuse them. If you want a proper loo you have to go to one inside a service station and in all the years I have been travelling I would say that the continental toilets are always kept better than the ones in the UK!

johno
13-Jul-07, 14:06
[quote=nicnak;241173]Johno its not just in Turkey, the majority of public loos in France are stand and squat as my sister in law calls them with a bin as the sewerage system in alot of europe is still outdated,three years ago we went to a fantastic campsite in spain it had proper loos but you still had to put the paper in a bin next to the toilet, these didnt smell as the toilets were cleaned very regularly and people didnt abuse them. If you want a proper loo you have to go to one inside a service station and in all the years I have been travelling I would say that the continental toilets are always kept better than the ones in the UK![/quote
Not so for the loo in bourgas airport,, it was absolutely minging, what i needed did,nt involve sitting but i still preferred to wait the hour till i got onto the plane [disgust]

Angela
13-Jul-07, 14:22
But I used to have the last laugh, when serving the ladies their wines at Lunch and Dinner, thinking "Well Madam, this hand was stuck down your loo, unblocking it an hour ago"

Gee whizz, golach, I hope they gave you rubber gloves??? :eek: :roll:

horseman
13-Jul-07, 20:34
Most memorable one in my mind, is in germany , ladies and gents were linked together, you could look through from 1 to the other.You could be standing at the urinal and the female attendant would come up behind you and clip your heels with her bass broom, quite off putting :)

Next to that french bogs:)

golach
13-Jul-07, 20:36
Gee whizz, golach, I hope they gave you rubber gloves??? :eek: :roll:
Rubber gloves? what ever for, I would not be able to open the wine bottles with gloves on Angela

caroline
13-Jul-07, 23:15
One of the cleanest ladies public toilets I have been in is the ones in Haddington. Nice plants clean soap dispensers and spotless clean.

poppett
14-Jul-07, 11:19
Golspie ladies toilets do have a light but it`s on a timer and you have to bang the big white button on the right hand side of the door and be out within three minutes.

Cleanest loo I have seen is at Port Bannatyne on the Isle of Bute.

My gripe is the number of disabled loos, accessable by a radar key, which are behind locked grill gates out of hours.....What is the point of issuing keys if the toilets are unaccessable?

Helmsdale ones should have been condemned years ago, but where would we go then?

In Perthshire there are no longer signs to public toilets there are now boards listing publically accessable toilets, ie shops who will let you use the loo....it`s degrading to have to ask if you are not purchasing in the shop

bosco
14-Jul-07, 14:04
kyle-lochalsh is the cleanest toilets i have ever come across,that was couple of years agoi was their,i am sure they have won awards fortheit toilets

bosco
14-Jul-07, 14:10
please excuse the mistakes as i didnt get to bed till 7am, after doing 12hr nightshift just up for a browse on the pc at 2pm

karia
14-Jul-07, 14:11
Hi Folks,

This thread reminds me of my Grandma !

She was a walking guidebook to public loos and 'fish teas'.
You just had to mention anywhere in Scotland and she could give you a rating for both.

Wow, she knew how to enjoy a day out!;):roll:

Karia

bosco
14-Jul-07, 14:16
maybe you can tell us the best place for a fish- tea after we all come out the toilet, could be doing with something nice to eat:D

karia
14-Jul-07, 14:22
Hi Bosco,

I'm sure I could give it a shot,...DO remember and wash your hands!:lol:

Karia

lassieinfife
14-Jul-07, 14:53
a couple of loo,s i seen in turkey were just holes in the floor that you had to squat on. [primitive] most bog,s in turkey have a bin besides it that you have to dump the paper in after youv,e used it as the waste pipe USN,t big enough to to flush. [primitive] [disgust]

Have been to turkey a few times used the public loo's there often ........ never seen one with holes in floors .... and the bins emptied regularly and a darn sight cleaner that some of the Scottish loos I have used ...... Perth bus station must rank high on list of awful loos (unless they been upgraded in last year...god knows what visitors to our country think of them):roll:

Nice toilets at Glenrothes Bus Station ... spotless fresh and flowers everywhere..... well worth the 20p

bluelady
14-Jul-07, 15:30
You have to ask yourself why the cleaners don't have longer hours as they are really needed, they could be going in mid day .

Dont know about the ones in Thurso, but Wick attendants finish at 8pm.

cuddlepop
14-Jul-07, 16:00
There are some real awful ones out there.There's public toilets at Powfoot that only have natural light and no hot water.Its a funny shaped wooden hut with open windows on theside of the roof.Its a strange experience.:eek:
Public toilets at Fort William are excellent as are the ones at Kyle.

NickInTheNorth
14-Jul-07, 16:05
There are some real awful ones out there.There's public toilets at Powfoot that only have natural light and no hot water.Its a funny shaped wooden hut with open windows on theside of the roof.Its a strange experience.:eek:
Public toilets at Fort William are excellent as are the ones at Kyle.

I would add to that list:

Mallaig
Arisaig
Nether Lochaber

Allways clean, though a little scruffy.