PDA

View Full Version : Sutherlands

lindadorren
09-Jul-07, 22:36
I am looking for help tracing Sutherlands in my family tree - on both sides just to add to my confusion!

My great grandmother, on my grandfather's side was Mary Sutherland , born September 1870 in Bower and died Oct 1955 in Wick, daughter of James Sutherland and Margaret Laurie. James Sutherland's parents were Donald Sutherland and Isabella Budge. I haven't got any further back than that and before I start searching wondered if anyone had already followed that line back.

On my grandmother's side my great grandmother was Henrietta Sutherland, born 1873 in Wick and died 1940 in Edinburgh but buried in Wick. Her parents were John Sinclair Sutherland and Johana Johnston. Johana was the daughter of Henrietta Steven ad Peter Johnston. John Sutherland was the son of Robert Sutherland and Ann Sinclair and he was born in Latheron.

If anyone has any info then I'd be grateful. Any suggestions welcomed. I'm hoping to come to Caithness later in the holidays or in September and would like to be able to follow this up.

On another branch - does anyone know where Acharole, Bower is or was?
Also can anyone out names to the photo of Bower school in 1912? My grandad would have been 12 that year and as he lived in Bower than I think he might have been in the photo but as I only remember him as an older man I can't work out which one he might have bee.

Stil looking for info on the Campbell family who ran the Crown Hotel at the turn of the last century if anyone has anything to offer.

Thanks

Linda

Tricia
10-Jul-07, 11:18
Hi Linda
I have Peter Johnston(d1904) m1849 Henrietta Steven(d1873) family showing in my tree.
I have it that Peter married again 1875 Williamina Wares(my2C4R).(copy cert if you want)
Peter's parents being Peter Johnston & Helen Dunnet m 1824.
I have only the one child recorded for Peter & Henrietta - Your Johan.

I have some research on your Johnston side - trying to tie up Caithness Johnston families. Mine were in Wick from early 1800s but came from Argyll and East Lothian prior to that. Still think that they may have had Caithness/Orkney links and that took them back North.

I have many Sutherlands - Mainly Watten Latheron/Lybster early days.
My Campbell are Latheron/Lybster then Wick.

Tricia

lindadorren
11-Jul-07, 19:22
Tricia,

Thanks for the info - it is the same as mine so at least I've got that bit right!

It would appear that my Sutherlands came from Latheron - I've found David Sutherland married to Elizabeth Budge who had a son Alexander born in 1808. Alexander had a son John Sinclair Sutherland born in 1844 died 1926 who was the husband of Johana Johnston Do these fit in with any of yours?
(these are all on my grandmother's side)
On the other side I have Donald Sutherland married to Isabella Budge and they appear to have had 9 children. All the records I've traced for them place them a Stemster, Bower which is where my grandfather was born in 1900.

If any of this is familiar I'd be delighted to share info/compare notes/ correct my inaccuracies and errors!!

I've also got an Elizabeth Clark and some years ago I was told that all the Clarks in Caithness are related. Do you know anything about this?

Thanks for the help

Linda

magstar
11-Jul-07, 22:34
Hi I have an elizabeth budge in my family tree. i believe she was born about 1820 and married alex bruce. they had 3 children john jessie and diana. she died in 1855 and john has set up a memeorial in latheron grave yard. i believe alexander re married but i am trying to verify this. i realise that there are probably more than one elizabeth budge but there may be a connection.
best wishes magstar

caroline
12-Jul-07, 18:40
Hello Linda

I am interested in your family research have some of the info you have. Henrietta Steven who was married to Peter Johnston was my 2x g grandmother sister Margaret Steven. On the marriage cert for John Sutherland who married Henrietta and Peter daughter Johana, it states John Sutherland parents as Alexander Sutherland and Elizabeth Clark or Clerk. If you would like a copy of the marriage cert p .m. me. Happy to share information. Henrietta & Margaret Steven parents William Steven & Marjory Miller.

Caroline

lindadorren
12-Jul-07, 21:44
Thanks Caroline. I have the certificate (copy) but thanks for the offer. I didn't know Henrietta had a sister as I haven't done much research on that line. Do you have exact dates for Marjory Miller? I'd appreciate any info.

Linda