PDA

View Full Version : Gallstone treatment

wickchick
08-Jul-07, 21:28
I have this awful pain, has anyone else had this and what did they find useful. I know its gallstones, and going to the doctor tomorrow, just need relief tonight.

Thanks

binbob
08-Jul-07, 22:39
hi..i know how bad that is.u need to see dr. asap..u shoud be given morphine injection.it is so bad.......
call dr. tonight,it is well justified/
i had the op. no problems since.they can do keyhole surgery.
hope u feel better soon.
binbob

luskentyre
09-Jul-07, 00:10
I had gallstones as well and I sympathise with you - the pain was incredible. I would agree with binbob that morphine is the only thing that will help. I was admitted 4 times whilst I was waiting to have the operation and each time I was given pethadine, which just doesn't cut it.

Are you on a low-fat diet? If not, it might prevent the likelihood of another attack.

brandy
09-Jul-07, 09:26
*laughs* yup here as well.. except in mine i had gallstones and pancreitis at 24 weeks preg!
and i thought it was trapped wind!
but to help stop the pain.. dont drink or eat anything fatty... avoid milk like the plauge. fatty things really set it off like mad.

las123
09-Jul-07, 22:03
i had this 5 years ago, it is so sore, this is how i fell preg with my son due to the sickness. you need to go straight to the hospital and get the injection, taking tablets just made me sick. i had the key hole surgery, which i didnt find sore, not compared to the pain i did have before. not a thing since. the most important thing i got from it was my gorgeous son. :D

squidge
10-Jul-07, 09:47
I had acute pancreatitis in 2000. It can be VERY serious - in fact it can be fatal. My husband took me to The hospital at about 2am on the Monday morning and about five hours later I had to be airlifted to Raigmore and was very seriously ill for some time. I have never had pain like it in my entire life and nothing touched it - and listening to two doctors discuss whether i was likely to have heart failure or not whilst in High Dependency was THE most frightening moment of my entire life.

I had my gall bladder out and i havent been troubled since. I dont avoid fatty food particularly and i can still take a drink - although not to excess. I am still fat but im fit and healthy.

brandy
10-Jul-07, 12:34
the advoiding fatty food is mainly while you have gall stones.
yup know the seriousness of it!
when i told the surgeon i didnt want to do anythng to risk the baby. he told me that it could be more dangerous to leave it. that pancritis could be so sever and sudden it can kill you instantly .. and is often misdiagnosed as a heart attack. so i ended up being sent to raigmore to have surgery at 24 weeks preg. *laughs* i remember them panicing after surgery.. because the young man giving me morphine kept on asking me about pain.. and as i was still not with it.. i kept saying my back my back.. when he asked where it hurt.. he said wheat about your wounds .. i was screw myw ounds my back hurts! and i heard him (still couldnt see) say to the dr. sir she is complaining about back pain.. and i dont know how much morphine i should give her!
the dr. very dead pan said.. shes heavily preg. has been on her back for several hours.. of course it hurts.. give her 10 mg every 5-10 min until it eases!

newlabeluk
11-Jul-07, 21:19
Hey Ashleigh, hope you managed to get some relief like everyone been there done that. I even had an attack whilst up on holiday the Christmas before my op Wick Hospital was fantastic at 2am and got me back on my feet in time to travel home:(. Hope you get keyhole but either way once it's out it's fantastic still have to watch the diet though.
My consultant gave me a "Rugby Player's Tip" for keeping the fats low in the Shopping that helped a lot once i got the quick conversion down pat.....'If it's more than 5% put it back'.

The tablet i used to while i was waiting were Buscapan, Omerzerole.

Good Luck:D