PDA

View Full Version : Burial places

helenwyler
06-Jul-07, 17:09
I'm off up to Caithness next week and wondered if anyone can suggest/confirm likely churches for my ggggrandparents (died between 1865 and 1892). Their SDs do not give information on burials. Of course they may have no headstone but...

Died in Hamer (Thurso) buried in ?

Died in Freswick (Canisbay), buried in Canisbay church?

Thanks in anticipation!

Rosemary Skea
08-Jul-07, 02:50
Morning Helen,

If you give me the names of your people, I can look in the MI books to see if their burial is recorded there.

Rosemary

bluelady
08-Jul-07, 12:59
aye it would be better to try and find out where if recorded as their are lots of small cemetaries dotted around outside the villages and towns

helenwyler
09-Jul-07, 07:36
Thanks Rosemary!

The names are:

Elizabeth Gray/Robertson died 1867 Freswick

Margaret Gunn/McDonald died 1885 Hamer, Thurso

Hugh McDonald died 1892 Hamer, Thurso

Rosemary Skea
10-Jul-07, 05:29
Afternoon Helen, no luck I am afraid in the MI books - but these books are not the complete records. In the Canisbay cemetery there are many burials from the Freswick area. The cemetery is on the A836 3 miles west of John O'Groats.

Re the McDonalds from Haimer, there is a burial ground at St Peter's Church in the old part of Thurso. Another burial ground is south west of Thurso near Bardnaclavan. Also there are extensions and new grounds at Thurso which are not recorded in the MI book. You would need to find out where these are.

I envy you heading north - wish I could come with you ! I am a bit far away in Queensland ! My forebearers came from Dunnet - Budge by name - headed to Orkney and then to SHetland where I was born and raised.

Hope the weather is kind to you and happy hunting.

Rosemary.

helenwyler
10-Jul-07, 07:31
Thankyou so much for suggesting those places Rosemary - will definitely look them up. We have two days in Orkney and two in Caithness. Such a short time and so much to do!! Will post photos in the photography section if they turn out OK!

Thanks again

Helen

Rosemary Skea
11-Jul-07, 08:49
My husband is an Orcadian so I know that part of the country well. Have had many crossings of the Pentland Firth from Scrabster. Hope the weather is good and ENJOY !

Rosemary