PDA

View Full Version : Politicians

Lolabelle
06-Jul-07, 10:54
It seems that one of the Australian Polies has decided to let the cat out of the bag.
Apparently they have been in Iraq because they need to keep the oil accessable. And that is why they went to war in the first place, not a war on terrorism.
Well I never, who would have guessed. [evil]

karia
06-Jul-07, 13:27
What!... a war in pursuit of profit, instead of pure, avuncular , humanitarianism? Surely not!;)

Karia

Angela
06-Jul-07, 14:03
Oh no, karia, that would be such a cynical view! ;) [lol]

fred
06-Jul-07, 14:15
It seems that one of the Australian Polies has decided to let the cat out of the bag.
Apparently they have been in Iraq because they need to keep the oil accessable. And that is why they went to war in the first place, not a war on terrorism.
Well I never, who would have guessed. [evil]

Hate to say I told you so...

Angela
06-Jul-07, 14:22

I never doubted it! :roll:

sorghaghtanibeki
06-Jul-07, 15:50
Brisbane times: Australia joined the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, which was said to be aimed at eliminating Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction, which were never found. Howard remains a very staunch supporter of Washington's military campaign in Iraq. Australia's deployment currently numbers about 1,575 soldiers. Nelson also said Australia's main reasons for remaining in Iraq were to prevent violence driven by Al-Qaeda between the Sunni and Shia populations and to help key ally the United States combat terrorism and stabilise the region.
But he contended that safeguarding oil supplies was an important part of bringing stability. "For all of those reasons, one of which is energy security, it's extremely important that Australia take the view that it's in our interests, our security interests, to make sure that we leave the Middle East, and leave Iraq in particular, in a position of sustainable security," he said.But Howard swung into damage limitation mode later in the day, strongly denying that either Nelson or he himself had said securing oil supply was a key factor behind his country's contentious involvement in the war in Iraq. "We're not there because of oil and we didn't go there because of oil, we don't remain there because of oil," he told commercial radio. "Oil is not the reason." Treasurer Peter Costello also joined in the denial that Australian troops were primarily in Iraq to secure oil supplies. "We're fighting for something much more important here than oil, this is about democracy and freedom in the Middle East," he told reporters.
Howard had earlier told a conference in Canberra that energy demand was a key reason for helping to develop a stable Middle East. But he later said it was "stretching it a bit" to conclude that Australia's involvement in Iraq was motivated by oil He told the conference Australia's presence in the Middle East was central to his government's defence strategy, arguing the country could not afford to wait for threats to reach its shores before taking action.
"Many of the key strategic trends I have mentioned -- including terrorism and extremism, challenging demographics, WMD (weapons of mass destruction) aspirations, energy demand and great-power competition -- converge in the Middle East," he said. "Our major ally and our most important economic partners have crucial interests there." The centre-left opposition Labor Party, which wants to withdraw Australia's troops from Iraq, accused the government of making contradictory statements on its reasons for being in Iraq. "This government simply makes it up as it goes along on Iraq," Labor leader Kevin Rudd told reporters. Howard also ended speculation sparked by a newspaper report that he could announce an Iraq troop withdrawal ahead of national elections due this year."Despite the dreadful continuing violence and our frustration at the rate of political progress, the government remains committed to staying in Iraq with our coalition partners until the Iraqi security forces no longer require our support," he said."The consequences of western failure and defeat in Iraq are too serious to allow our policy to be dictated by weariness, frustration or political convenience."

Seems fair enough; typicle politics of any country

helenwyler
06-Jul-07, 15:55

Perhaps Fred you didn't need to "hate to say I told you so" as Lolabelle's "Who would have guessed?" was an ironical comment;).

Lolabelle
06-Jul-07, 22:03
Brisbane times: Australia joined the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, which was said to be aimed at eliminating Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction, which were never found. Howard remains a very staunch supporter of Washington's military campaign in Iraq. Australia's deployment currently numbers about 1,575 soldiers. Nelson also said Australia's main reasons for remaining in Iraq were to prevent violence driven by Al-Qaeda between the Sunni and Shia populations and to help key ally the United States combat terrorism and stabilise the region.
But he contended that safeguarding oil supplies was an important part of bringing stability. "For all of those reasons, one of which is energy security, it's extremely important that Australia take the view that it's in our interests, our security interests, to make sure that we leave the Middle East, and leave Iraq in particular, in a position of sustainable security," he said.But Howard swung into damage limitation mode later in the day, strongly denying that either Nelson or he himself had said securing oil supply was a key factor behind his country's contentious involvement in the war in Iraq. "We're not there because of oil and we didn't go there because of oil, we don't remain there because of oil," he told commercial radio. "Oil is not the reason." Treasurer Peter Costello also joined in the denial that Australian troops were primarily in Iraq to secure oil supplies. "We're fighting for something much more important here than oil, this is about democracy and freedom in the Middle East," he told reporters.
Howard had earlier told a conference in Canberra that energy demand was a key reason for helping to develop a stable Middle East. But he later said it was "stretching it a bit" to conclude that Australia's involvement in Iraq was motivated by oil He told the conference Australia's presence in the Middle East was central to his government's defence strategy, arguing the country could not afford to wait for threats to reach its shores before taking action.
"Many of the key strategic trends I have mentioned -- including terrorism and extremism, challenging demographics, WMD (weapons of mass destruction) aspirations, energy demand and great-power competition -- converge in the Middle East," he said. "Our major ally and our most important economic partners have crucial interests there." The centre-left opposition Labor Party, which wants to withdraw Australia's troops from Iraq, accused the government of making contradictory statements on its reasons for being in Iraq. "This government simply makes it up as it goes along on Iraq," Labor leader Kevin Rudd told reporters. Howard also ended speculation sparked by a newspaper report that he could announce an Iraq troop withdrawal ahead of national elections due this year."Despite the dreadful continuing violence and our frustration at the rate of political progress, the government remains committed to staying in Iraq with our coalition partners until the Iraqi security forces no longer require our support," he said."The consequences of western failure and defeat in Iraq are too serious to allow our policy to be dictated by weariness, frustration or political convenience."

Seems fair enough; typicle politics of any country

Haa!!!!!!!!

karia
06-Jul-07, 22:23
Hi Lolabelle,

A few of us org. 'girlies' are planning a political comeback!

The guys seem to have forgotten the merits of argument,..example below.

1) I think this.

2) I think that, but am open to discussion....

3) Do you know, I hadn't taken that into account, and having done so am prepared to,..alter my view!;) ...radical, but can happen!

4) Having admitted that my first opinion was rubbish, I crave your indulgence to listen to my new & well considered opinion....a rare creature!:roll:. Has a functioning brain & everything,...let us know if you spot one!

Love Karia X

Lolabelle
06-Jul-07, 22:33
Hi Lolabelle,

A few of us org. 'girlies' are planning a political comeback!

The guys seem to have forgotten the merits of argument,..example below.

1) I think this.

2) I think that, but am open to discussion....

3) Do you know, I hadn't taken that into account, and having done so am prepared to,..alter my view!;) ...radical, but can happen!

4) Having admitted that my first opinion was rubbish, I crave your indulgence to listen to my new & well considered opinion....a rare creature!:roll:. Has a functioning brain & everything,...let us know if you spot one!

Love Karia X

I will be on the look out Karia, thanks for keeping me in the loop. ;-)

sorghaghtanibeki
06-Jul-07, 22:41
only me and fred among the girls!?

karia
06-Jul-07, 22:45
I am quite weak with laughter!:lol:

Karia

Lolabelle
06-Jul-07, 22:51

Quick, run while you still can boys, finally the girls are on the move...[para]

Angela
06-Jul-07, 22:57

You've lost me there - I thought you said you were a girl? :confused while fred, from his photo, is most certainly not!

fred
06-Jul-07, 23:24
You've lost me there - I thought you said you were a girl? :confused while fred, from his photo, is most certainly not!

sorghaghtanibeki is a girls name and I seem to remember claims from this poster to be female myself.

karia
06-Jul-07, 23:34
Wow! How can you tell?

Is there a special ending like,..eki, to indicate girls!;)

I always reckon that it doesn't matter what the gender of the poster is, it's what they say that counts.

You're all neutered to me!:)

Karia

fred
07-Jul-07, 00:07
Wow! How can you tell?

Is there a special ending like,..eki, to indicate girls!;)

No, she was Chinggis Khan's daughter in law so I assumed she was female.

anneoctober
07-Jul-07, 00:18
No, she was Chinggis Khan's daughter in law so I assumed she was female.
That was your first mistake, Fred - NEVER "assume" with a female [lol]

fred
07-Jul-07, 13:13
That was your first mistake, Fred - NEVER "assume" with a female [lol]

I was making assumptions about Chinggis Khan's son.

horseman
07-Jul-07, 21:14
So one of the polies decided to grab them selves some air space!
What if they had come across with -a cozying up with the goverment line?
There is allways a maverick in every gang.Has this poly' any backing for this governmantle stab in the back!
Not that we will ever know I suppose,nor even matter for that matter.I only comment to raise the negative side.

karia
07-Jul-07, 23:08
Hi Horseman,

you have a very valid point!

What we see here is a politician actually telling the truth.

I, personally have no idea how one deals with such a rarity, but surely it is to be encouraged.

Karia

Lolabelle
08-Jul-07, 01:48
So one of the polies decided to grab them selves some air space!
What if they had come across with -a cozying up with the goverment line?
There is allways a maverick in every gang.Has this poly' any backing for this governmantle stab in the back!
Not that we will ever know I suppose,nor even matter for that matter.I only comment to raise the negative side.

The PM has very quickly gone into damage control and said "that wasn't what he meant" He ummed and haaa'd for ages before saying "Yes oil was a factor, but really mostly the war on terrorism and weapons of mass destruction."
Election coming up, so I would say panic stations all round for the goverment and cheering for opposition. [disgust]

Tristan
08-Jul-07, 06:55
I seem to remeber that when they invaded Baghdad they let people loot hopitals, the Ministry of Education , the Baghdad Archaeological Museum and other important buildings but made sure the Ministry of Oil was well protected.

horseman
08-Jul-07, 07:09
I seem to remeber that when they invaded Baghdad they let people loot hopitals, the Ministry of Education , the Baghdad Archaeological Museum and other important buildings but made sure the Ministry of Oil was well protected.

Tristan, I dare anyone to cross swords with you on that one!;)
Smashing signature to.:)