PDA

View Full Version : Book Recommendations

sassylass
01-Jul-07, 17:06
Can anyone recommend some good reading? I've just read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, a fascinating book about the importance of women's friendships in 19th century China.

moureen
01-Jul-07, 23:44
There are so many book's I could recommend to you any thing by Edna O'Brian,Property by Valerie Martin,The vanishing act of Esme Lennox,by Maggie O'Farrell,Marbel Heart by Gretta Mulroonry,Yesterday I Cried by Iyanla Vanyant,Chicken Soup for The Unsinkable Soul,The Secret Life Of Bee's{sorry can't remember the author}I hope you enjoy some of these book's oh and if you want an easy read any thing by Isla Dewar.Happy reading!!

Angela
02-Jul-07, 08:42
Oh yes moureen - The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox is a wonderful, thought-provoking book. I like all Maggie O'Farrell's books - thought this one might be a little slight....but not at all.
I've just finished The Island by Victoria Hislop - like Esme Lennox, it's set both in the present and the past -mostly the Greek island of Spinalonga, the former leper colony off Crete. I'd heard both that it was "amazing" and "very disappointing", so started it with only moderate expectations, but must say I did like it -partly because I know Crete I think.
Also recently read Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier, set in the London of William Blake -had reserved it from the library and was really looking forward to it, but didn't enjoy it at all -however, other people I know have liked it a lot!
It's not easy to recommend books to anyone - we all have different tastes -but I do think Esme Lennox is a special one.

Lolabelle
02-Jul-07, 12:10
I recommend anything by Kerry Greenwood, but in particular the Phryne Fisher mysteries. They are set in Australia in 1928 and are a wonderful portriat of life in Australia in the early part of the last century. And she is a really nice person. I have written to her several times and she has graciously helped me with many of my writing questions.

moureen
02-Jul-07, 22:21
Hello Angela,
I have picked up The Island many times and put it back maybe now I will give it a go,I have just bought The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho I have ment to read it a while ago and now as I feel I have to follow my dreams maybe it will tell how to!!!! Also Jodi Picoult is good I recommend The Pact.So many books so little time to read!!!

Angela
03-Jul-07, 09:33
moureen, yes, I'm always delighted to find new titles I want to read...but sometimes I feel overwhelmed by how many there are! People will keep writing new ones! [lol]
I've heard good things of Jodi Picoult, especially My Sister's Keeper (I think?) but haven't tried her yet....I will, I will...
I'm addicted to crime fiction, which really doesn't leave me a lot of time for other books, but I try to read the odd "proper" novel in between ....although a good genre novel is just a good novel, or that's what I tell myself...:confused
Kate Atkinson's last two, Case Histories (Cambridge setting), and One Good Turn (Edinburgh setting) certainly did that for me - great page-turners, but her writing is so good you do savour it as well.

moureen
03-Jul-07, 17:00
Greetings Angela,I have Case Histories bought it ages ago but never red it I have so many books I keep buying them I love my books and a good read.One that I will recommend to you is Perfume by Patrick Suskind They have made it into a film but I have the characters in my head and I think it would spoil the book for me they would not be the same to me !!!! silly I know.Please read Marbel Heart BRILLIANT!!! By the way do you look like the angel on your mail?!!!! just wondering.Are you interested in Spiritual books life after death etc.Regards Moureen.

Saveman
03-Jul-07, 17:04
"The Stonor Eagles" by William Horwood

Angela
03-Jul-07, 17:53
Greetings Angela,I have Case Histories bought it ages ago but never red it I have so many books I keep buying them I love my books and a good read.One that I will recommend to you is Perfume by Patrick Suskind They have made it into a film but I have the characters in my head and I think it would spoil the book for me they would not be the same to me !!!! silly I know.Please read Marbel Heart BRILLIANT!!! By the way do you look like the angel on your mail?!!!! just wondering.Are you interested in Spiritual books life after death etc.Regards Moureen.

I tried Perfume more than once, but just couldn't get into it at all! Two other books I couldn't make any headway with were Midnight's Children and Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Maybe we need a new thread on these Must-Read books that some/most readers just can't make any headway with?

I do agree with you that seeing the film of a book you've enjoyed can ruin it forever. Unless it's a book I've read long, long ago, I try to avoid seeing the film -same when books are turned into TV series....but sometimes seeing a film will make me read the book for the first time.

I'm not entirely like my avatar -no wings! ;) I do believe in angels, however.:)

moureen
03-Jul-07, 21:21
The Stonor Eagles? I have not heard of the title or the Author but next time I am in the book shop will ask about it.Angela if you want to discuss books {or any thing else!!!!} please mail any time.By the way I too believe in Angels.

sassylass
03-Jul-07, 22:28
Hello Angela,
snip I have just bought The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho I have ment to read it a while ago snip

ooo thoroughly good read, hope you enjoy it as much as I did....