PDA

View Full Version : William MacPherson c1920

williamthompson1958
29-Jun-07, 12:42
Hi there, this is my first post, so please excuse any errors or mistakes I may make.
I'm searching for a William MacPherson, c1920.
All I have to go on at the moment is that he worked on the construction of the RAF base on Saxaford in the Shetlands, (possibly as a clerk of works), in the mid/late 50's and then, (possibly), at Hunterston power station, Ayrshire, in the late 50's.
Any info on the above named or any other family history would be gratefully appreciated.
Many thanks,
Willie Thompson,
Saltcoats, Ayrshire.

trinkie
30-Jun-07, 10:03
Hello Willie,
Welcome.
Have you anything more on Wm MacPherson? That is not a common name in Caithness.
Do you have his parents name or where he might have been born.
Have you searched on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk) .
I wonder if there is an RAF club or Society in Shetland or Ayrshire with old records, or even a photograph.
During the War and just after, because of the lack of accommodation for the Servicemen, it was necessary for householders to give them board and lodgings.
It could be that a family might remember your Wm.MacP....

You havn't given us much to go on here, is there a Caithness connection?
See if you can get a bit more info and we'll be happy to help.

In the meantime I'll ask around.
Best wishes and happy hunting ,
Trinkie.

williamthompson1958
30-Jun-07, 21:21
sorry, that's all I really have to go on him. I was adopted when I was 9 months old. I did trace my birth mother, but we weren't really close. I do have a natural sister to the same father, who she was told was William MacPherson. Since my natural mother died in March, I have become really interested in geneology and have traced my links in the Shetlands back quite a bit. I'm just curious of the history on my natural fathers side.
Have noticed that site you refer to and I will give it a try when I can find the time.
Thanks for taking the time to reply,
best wishes,
Willie Thompson.

trinkie
01-Jul-07, 12:12
Hello again Willie,

There's a strong possibility that you were adopted through the Church of Scotland Adoption Society - and I am sure they will have good records .
Their Headquarters used to be in Edinburgh - check that out.

If you google ask.com+adoption +scotland that will come up with several sites which could lead to something.

If you are complete stuck why not ask the Salvation Army for their help. They will point you in the right direction and are wonderful folk to work with.

Many of the girls went to a Church of Scotland Home in Aberdeen to have their babies - perhaps someone has the name - but the Salvation Army will know. Did your mother give you a birth name which was changed after your adoption ?
If you remember the town your adoptive parents first lived in with you - that would be a good starting point. If you were Baptised in a church there, they may have something on record to help ... each tiny bit of info helps.

Best of luck
Trinkie

Rosemary Skea
04-Jul-07, 23:27
William, Have you thought about writing a letter to the local press in Shetland ? The Shetland Times and Shetland News are the werekly papers and you can find the web sites through Google.

I am a Shetlander born and bred but from the other end of the islands. The building of the RAF station was a big event in the small community in the north of Unst and I am sure that there is someone out there who would remember your father. It is worth a try.

Rosemary