PDA

View Full Version : Another scam

Bogbrush
03-Mar-21, 14:14
I'e just had a lovely phone call relaying a recorded message which informed me that the national crime intelligence agency is planning on suspending my NI number for suspicious activity. This is one I haven't had before, so I was squirming with anticipation. But I hung up when it invited me to press 1 to speak to an officer. The tone was great, the voice ponderous and laced with threat, the pace was quick, the diction fine, well done scammers.

Anyone know what would happen if I pressed 1?

Oh yes, it came from 07765 303549.

pat
03-Mar-21, 17:40
initially you would have been charged about a £300 a minute and probably kept on the phone as long as you could bear, racking up the telephone bill as fast as setting fuel on fire.

Bill Fernie
06-Mar-21, 22:04
Had my third similar call this week. Only difference the voice said they would shortly take £79 from my account for my Amazon Prime subscriptions. If I did not wish this I should press one. - It is an ever varied scam with same outcome.

Alrock
06-Mar-21, 22:13
Had my third similar call this week. Only difference the voice said they would shortly take £79 from my account for my Amazon Prime subscriptions. If I did not wish this I should press one. - It is an ever varied scam with same outcome.

Had exactly the same one, just hung up.

poppett
07-Mar-21, 15:10
Amazon are amazing, they can call me on a number they have never been given.

BT are mind readers.....But I haven`t been with them for 14 years.

Openreach.....watch out for that one, especially if you have a fault on your phoneline. Always ask them to tell you who your telecom provider is. Nine times out of ten they can`t do it.

dx100uk
08-Mar-21, 21:30
and always from fake mobile numbers...now who is going to do that...a scammer from outside the UK.

Tom Bowler
10-May-21, 19:31
Beware.
Had a strange call supposedly from BT today.

The automated voice went something like this, "This is BT we have been trying to contact you as we are going to disconnect your phone line as there has been malicious activity on it. To resolve this issue please speak to our executive.......". At this point I cancelled the call.

They never give up do they.

poppett
11-May-21, 06:41
Also watch out if you have the old fashioned call blocker where you end the call, then dial a 5 digit number and are talked through the call barring process.....the first number of the code is always 1......be careful the line has cleared from previous call or you will connect to their megabucks scam without noticing. It was 20 minutes before line cleared last time, I now have Home Safe where unless there is a human voice the call does not get through.

Scams to mobiles on the rise too, have had three messages this week to late husband`s mobile which were obviously scams.

dx100uk
12-May-21, 00:07
get truecall box.

end of problems 100%

dx100uk
12-May-21, 00:11
initially you would have been charged about a £300 a minute and probably kept on the phone as long as you could bear, racking up the telephone bill as fast as setting fuel on fire.

by the way this is wrong, it doesn't cost you anything to wind them up the call is obviously already connected and you do not redial...sadly another part of the anti-scam fake news.

dx100uk
12-May-21, 00:13
Also watch out if you have the old fashioned call blocker where you end the call, then dial a 5 digit number and are talked through the call barring process.....the first number of the code is always 1......be careful the line has cleared from previous call or you will connect to their megabucks scam without noticing. It was 20 minutes before line cleared last time, .

this again is not true as if the line is not dropped and still connected you are not redialling anything.

poppett
12-May-21, 06:14
.....my telephone company refunded the extra charge to my bill from this scam, the pressing of the 1 key put the call to their premium priced con centre. They seemed to know what they were talking about.

dx100uk
13-May-21, 01:39
i would suspect this is because you had 'the old fashioned call blocker', without knowing what this exactly is, it's difficult to understand how you became billed if the line was not dropped.

poppett
13-May-21, 06:00
Agree it was old fashioned, after a call you want to block you dialled a code. Within the automated call was the instruction to press 1 to speak to a team member, therefore if call was not terminated and line cleared when the code was dialled (it started with 1 ) it went on to be connected to the premium rate scam. Just reporting back the explaination from Talk Talk team, who have reimbursed the charges shown on my bill.

richardj
18-May-21, 22:12
Why does the Government not take action against these criminals? Nobody at BT or elsewhere offers any solution or willingness to tackle these scams - many are UK based and could easily be tracked down by the Police. The telecoms companies do not appear to be interested in stopping unwanted and scam calls.