PDA

View Full Version : space kitchens - don't go there!!

ak1
24-Jun-07, 12:15
if u get a phone call offering you the chance to appear in a feature magazine and the chance of a free or discounted kitchen hang up!! seems all the more genuine because it is an inverness number and inverness people doing the sales but all a con and if u don't believe me do a google search! these guys have been investigated by watchdog and all sorts. I have just hung up from two abrupt phone calls so my advice don't let them near your house!!!!

Bobinovich
24-Jun-07, 12:39
Space Kitchens are renown for this tactic - as are their sister company Weatherseal. We've demanded on numerous occasions to be removed from their calling list but they still come back. We're also registered with TPS but it doesn't appear to stop them.

At one point we actually got Space Kitchens in as we were looking at redoing the place, but it was the usual story of a starting price of £14k soon being bought down to about £8k.

The rep. stayed for hours and it was quite difficult to get rid of him - he was determined to go away with an acceptance signature and deposit. Although we were not taking the bait he did give us a couple of good ideas for when we do get round to it!!!

Best staying well clear.

highlander
24-Jun-07, 12:55
When i got one of those phone calls i let them prattle on, after all they are paying for the call, said "oh yes im very interested" once they are finished, i say "oh but my husband is unemployed and would so love a new kitchen, can pay by £10 a week" suddenly they dont seem very interested and slam down the phone, but the thing was he was unemployed at the time LOL

changilass
24-Jun-07, 13:13
I normally tell them that I have just had new kitchen/bathroom/double glazing/whatever installed 6 months ago, they quickly go away:lol:

Having been constantly pestered by one particular compay, (about 15yrs ago) I had a bit of fun with one of them, they spent nearly an hour on the phone asking if I would like a new conservatory, so I said I would love one, at the end I inocently asked how they were going to manage the founds as I lived on the 11th floor of a block of flats. Needless to say they left me alone after that.

Mister Squiggle
24-Jun-07, 13:41
These people rang me a few times over a couple of weeks and didn't seem to get the hint that I wasn't interested in whatever barrow they had to push.
Finally, I told one of them we don't have a kitchen and that we do all our cooking around a fire out the back garden, having caught and killed our own puffins or peeled road kill off the A9.
Anyway, the fellow said his name was Jock McSporran. I ask you, what are the odds of that?

Dusty
24-Jun-07, 14:34
Finally, I told one of them we don't have a kitchen and that we do all our cooking around a fire out the back garden, having caught and killed our own puffins or peeled road kill off the A9.
What wine would you suggest with Hérisson aplati?[lol]

brew
24-Jun-07, 15:27
Say you live in a static caravan and do they do caravan kitchens!!!

I was at my in-laws ages ago and weatherseal phoned wanting to sell a conservatory. First few calls ( always at dinner time I will add ) the in-laws were saying thanks but no thanks. So this time when they called I happened to answer and played along. The sales adviser was nice and could here in her voice that she was onto a possible sale. She said that "she would like to take a few details and would get a local rep to come round and give an estimate". ( This is where I get my own back) I started my address as

"3rd floor flat" and got a response of "pardon!." I repeated " 3rd Floor flat" and she stopped me in my tracks by saying that they cant build an conservatory on the 3rd floor of a block of flats, I said that i thought that it was a bit strange them calling me and just guessed that it was some modern wonder of the 21st century.

She ended the call not sounding so happy and not had a call from they again.

By the way, the in-laws live in a 2 story bungalow.

bothyman
24-Jun-07, 16:06
Anyway, the fellow said his name was Jock McSporran. I ask you, what are the odds of that?

I have a Friend called Jock McSporran.????? so there is at least one.
And I don't think it was him.

When they ask you if you own your own house say "No" or tell them your mother/father isn't in.
If you just tell them whatever they are trying to sell you, that you are not the one to ask they usually give up.
It's when they get into their patter and won't stop that gets to me.

The Angel Of Death
24-Jun-07, 16:28
Lol had the same problem with weatherseal a year or so ago boy came in giving an estimate etc then phoned the "big boss" who just wasnt for taking no eventually he was pushing me to take the doors and windows on tick paying it back £10 a week for 8k large

Minds me on what my dad would done he had a few arrange for a conservatory to be installed and then right at the end say will it make any difference if i live on the first floor or for the doors and windows and kitchen lot get right to the end and say he lives in a councill house it used to drive them mad !!!

obiron
24-Jun-07, 16:40
had another lot of calls from them the other day. did mention to them that there cheapest was about 10 grand out my price range and then told them that i wouldnt like them to call on me cos from what i hear you cant get rid of their salesmen. not a very happy lady on the other end of the phone.

anneoctober
24-Jun-07, 16:55
The truth often hurts..... ;)

zagor
24-Jun-07, 20:49
I had a company that kept calling me about new windows/conservatories and I always asked them to take me off their list which they always said they would.
next day the same company would call back and ask the same queston.am I the home owner ,will I be the home owner soon the answer was allways no.
So one night tv was rubbish and I was a little bored I kept them on the phone for nearly an hour planning my new conservatory.
I asked if I would need planning permission and the answer was no. When I asked how it would effect the downstairs neighbours I stay in the middle block of flats in Murkle Terrace and it would surely cut the light from their living room with my new conservatory built on stilts.
For some reason they just hung up.
Next night the same company called back enquiring if I ever thought of having a conservatory.
As I settled in for a nice long chat with the hepful salesman I just wondered how long they would keep calling back before taking the hint.

Ash
25-Jun-07, 09:11
:lol:they were calling me and once they realised that i didnt own my house they hung up! I was quite happy, but whenever companies call me and i have no interest in the call and they dont listen to me i hand the phone to my 3 year old! lol

BRIE
25-Jun-07, 09:21
I had one of the many phone calls from space kitchens last week when i told them i had a new kitchen they just put the phone down! no goodbye or anything!
at one point they rang me 4 times in one day!![evil]

Tony
25-Jun-07, 09:45
Reminds me of joke a friend sent me recently.:)

Who says blondes are dumb!!! (he he he)

Last year I replaced all the windows in my house with that expensive, double-pane energy-efficient kind.

Yesterday, I got a call from the contractor who installed them. He was complaining that the windows had been installed a whole year ago and I hadn't paid for them yet.

Hellloooo? Now just because I'm blonde doesn't mean that I am automatically stupid.

So I told him just exactly what his fast-talking sales guy had told me last year... namely, that in just ONE YEAR these windows would pay for themselves! Helllooo? (I told him) It's been a year."

There was only silence at the other end of the line, so I finally just hung up.... He hasn't called back, probably too embarrassed about forgetting the guarantee they made me.

Bet he won't underestimate a blonde anymore.

BRIE
25-Jun-07, 15:54
:lol:they were calling me and once they realised that i didnt own my house they hung up! I was quite happy, but whenever companies call me and i have no interest in the call and they dont listen to me i hand the phone to my 3 year old! lol

I had a company ring on friday trying to sell my 10 year old windows & doors!:lol:

honey
25-Jun-07, 16:04
we got a similar sales call on the day of an Old Firm Match.. we had a few people over to watch the match.. when they called, hubby set the phone in the middle of the floor and just left them listening to us lot shout and scream at the tv... they didnt call back after that...:lol:

Penelope Pitstop
25-Jun-07, 16:27
Reminds me of joke a friend sent me recently.:)

Who says blondes are dumb!!! (he he he)

Last year I replaced all the windows in my house with that expensive, double-pane energy-efficient kind.

Yesterday, I got a call from the contractor who installed them. He was complaining that the windows had been installed a whole year ago and I hadn't paid for them yet.

Hellloooo? Now just because I'm blonde doesn't mean that I am automatically stupid.

So I told him just exactly what his fast-talking sales guy had told me last year... namely, that in just ONE YEAR these windows would pay for themselves! Helllooo? (I told him) It's been a year."

There was only silence at the other end of the line, so I finally just hung up.... He hasn't called back, probably too embarrassed about forgetting the guarantee they made me.

Bet he won't underestimate a blonde anymore.

That is so good......I'm in tears reading this.:lol:

Deemac
25-Jun-07, 19:06
Tip number one: Register with the TPS (its free). This killed almost 95% of the spam calls I used to get (always while your having your dinner!!).

Two: Develop a ruthless attitude (it takes practice). I now also have the 2 second rule that works like this - If you don't speak to me within 2 seconds (and most call centres take this long to connect to you) I hang up.

Three: If the number comes up as unavailable on the phone LCD - I cut you off without even answering.

Four: If you manage to get through all this and you mis-pronounce my name (it's very Scottish) - guess what - I cut you off.

I learnt not to care about hurting their feelings and just cut them off in mid-flow. Ruthless but necessary (it does take practice as I said - I'm not inclined to deal with people with such brutality by nature).

Five: And if you get past all my previous points: "I've just moved into a brand new house only last month" tends to cut them short on the sales patter also.

Must be a dreadful way of making a living!!:confused