PDA

View Full Version : wicks got talent

exweeker
23-Jun-07, 09:27
on visiting the harbourfest last night the youth band with the girl lead singer was absuletly magnificent they held the crowds for a very long time the best caithness group ive heard in ages they will go a long way keep it up

trinkie
23-Jun-07, 10:21
Great to hear that compliment -
Can anyone name the band and the young singer ?
They obviously deserve this wonderful praise !

Many thanks to Ould Weeker.

_awayoflife_
23-Jun-07, 17:47
the band are called eyes of the north i think they really are amazing!

Douglas Cowie
24-Jun-07, 11:24
Eyes of the North got together at the Wick Youth Club Music Link Media project which is held at the club on a Thursday night. Their line up is Briony Clelland on vocals, Calvin Wilson, guitar and vocals, Martin Hill on bass, Johnnie "G " Georgeson, guitar and harmonica and Davie Calder on drums.
They went down a storm at the recent country music festival.

All of the bands appearing on Friday night are linked to Wick Youth Club who organised the music for Friday night. For more info on Eyes of the North or any of the other bands feel free to contact myself on 01955604192

Douglas Cowie
Music Leader
Wick Youth Club Music Link Media Project.

rob murray
24-Jun-07, 16:18
Douglas, you seem to be involved in some every positive music projects, well done keep up the good work.

anneoctober
24-Jun-07, 16:58
Where can we hear the band next, and what are their ages? :Razz

horseman
24-Jun-07, 19:08
For all the zillions of us who diden't have the chance to get there,I hope the peeps in 'c' have captured it on video.:D

Geo
24-Jun-07, 20:54
Do they have a website with mp3s?

Smithy
25-Jun-07, 12:17
I have to totally agree the band was fantastic and it was nice to see such a young group with the music they played. Congratulations to all the bands, to Wick Youth Club and the people who work with them. It was great to see and hear young talented people from caithness. They do our county proud.

Douglas Cowie
25-Jun-07, 17:40
Douglas, you seem to be involved in some every positive music projects, well done keep up the good work.

Thanks for that Robin it's good to give the kids a chance to get together and play as you know yourself from years gone by it's not easy getting a place to practice and access to a PA system.

In reply to the other posts about the band they range in age from 15 to 17.

No website yet but they have only been playing together for around 3 months. They have been doing some recording at MLM with David Shearer our media leader so hopefully we will have a download on our web site soon.
This is the link for the site.

www.wycmusiclinkmedia.co.uk

I think their next gig is this Friday at the Legion in Thurso but I will confirm that with them and post the details on the Org.

trix
01-Sep-08, 19:32
best caithness group ive heard in ages

ye should hear eclipse :Razz

sweetpea
01-Sep-08, 20:48
Totally agree they are great. Saw them at Northern Nashville last year. There's a lot of young music talent in Wick and I agree the MLM club is is a great place for them to develop their talent.
A weekend rock school would be a good thing, along the lines of stage school or something.

Douglas Cowie
01-Sep-08, 21:01
We had a Rock School last month at Wick Youth Club/MLM during the school holidays it was organised via Careers Scotland and was led by ex Ozzy Osbourne keyboard player John Sinclair and singer songwriter Jim Hunter. It was a resounding success with a final night concert that included musicians that had only played together for the first time that week playing songs they had written themselves. They also used the new MLM studio to record some of the musicians. The young adults who attended were from both Caithness and Sutherland.

TBH
01-Sep-08, 21:04
Eclipse, good musicians but not my cup of tea. I did like remix, are they still on the go?
Great to hear that youngsters are getting the chance to showcase there talents and maybe get a chance at making a decent living doing something they enjoy.

The Pepsi Challenge
01-Sep-08, 21:04
All the best with it, Douglas, and everyone else involved.

The Pepsi Challenge
01-Sep-08, 21:06
Eclipse, good musicians but not my cup of tea. I did like remix, are they still on the go?
Great to hear that youngsters are getting the chance to showcase there talents and maybe get a chance at making a decent living doing something they enjoy.

Very little chance of anyone making a decent living in music, sadly, TBH. That's unless you're a record company executive or a mainstream radio controller. Sounds like a great venture, though, I hope it goes well for all concerned.

TBH
01-Sep-08, 21:17
Very little chance of anyone making a decent living in music, sadly, TBH. That's unless you're a record company executive or a mainstream radio controller. Sounds like a great venture, though, I hope it goes well for all concerned.That's a shame but I suppose record companies are just concerned with the one hit wonders of this world that they manufacture through programs such as the X-factor and pop idol, i,e, making as much money as they can from these kids in a short period of time then ditching them as soon as they can.

DeHaviLand
01-Sep-08, 21:20
ye should hear eclipse :Razz

Do I detect some bias here?

sweetpea
01-Sep-08, 22:15
Very little chance of anyone making a decent living in music, sadly, TBH. That's unless you're a record company executive or a mainstream radio controller. Sounds like a great venture, though, I hope it goes well for all concerned.

I reckon the only way to make money from it these days is from playing live or writing songs but there is so much more to be gained from being involved in music not just money.

sweetpea
01-Sep-08, 22:19
We had a Rock School last month at Wick Youth Club/MLM during the school holidays it was organised via Careers Scotland and was led by ex Ozzy Osbourne keyboard player John Sinclair and singer songwriter Jim Hunter. It was a resounding success with a final night concert that included musicians that had only played together for the first time that week playing songs they had written themselves. They also used the new MLM studio to record some of the musicians. The young adults who attended were from both Caithness and Sutherland.

Yeah I knew about that, pity it couldn't be replicated;)

The Pepsi Challenge
02-Sep-08, 02:02
I reckon the only way to make money from it these days is from playing live or writing songs but there is so much more to be gained from being involved in music not just money.

I'd agree with that, sweetpea, definitely. I've a lot of friends who make their living from music, and it's an on-going slog with few rewards. Not to depress you further, but here's a good quote from Hunter Thomson:

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

Douglas Cowie
02-Sep-08, 18:51
Yeah I knew about that, pity it couldn't be replicated;)

That was the second Rock School event; we held one in 2007 and plan to do another next year.
Funding is always an issue plus availability of personnel and venues.
At the moment we are planning it as an annual event but it will be reviewed throughout the year.
We are hoping to hold a drumming workshop before the end of the year and we are doing a traditional music concert as part of the Blas Festival, so there is plenty going on.

AfternoonDelight
03-Sep-08, 13:41

I think so!! ;):)

trix
03-Sep-08, 16:51

aye alrite....

a wee bit maybe :lol: