PDA

View Full Version : Typhoid Outbreak in Wick?

pamela fayle
20-Jun-07, 23:38
Doing some research on the Ross family I came across a death in Wick (Wickburgh actually) in 1865 with the cause of death being Typhus fever. As this often runs as an epidemic, I was wondering if anyone has any info on an outbreak in the Wick area at that time??.

mary helen
21-Jun-07, 08:28
Hi,
I too found a typhoid death of a Clyne in 1894 in Pultneytown.
I think typhoid was fairly common in times gone by.
Mary Helen

Donald Harper
19-Jun-08, 22:13
My gt gt grandmother Helen Harper died in 1867 of this fever in Wick
There were several outbreaks of this and chlora in the 1800`s in Caithness

domino
19-Jun-08, 23:19
I too have I think two cases in my family history but will have to check. I am interested in the Clyne that died. Would appreciate any info regardind that one

domino
19-Jun-08, 23:22
If anyone has watched the Silver Darlings they may remember that Typhoid was mentioned . I do not think that was just drama but may have been based on fact

susan.leith
20-Jun-08, 14:54
Death certificate confirms the "fever" below was in fact typhus....

THE SCOTSMAN 17 APRIL 1894 p4
Dr Alexander, Wick, died on Sunday from fever contracted in the discharge of his professional duties. The sad event has caused deep regret in the town and throughout the county where Dr Alexander had an extensive practice, and was greatly respected. The deceased gentleman was forty five years of age and leaves a widow and three young children. At a special meeting last night of the Wick Town Council and the Pulteneytown Commissioners, resolutions were adopted expressing sorrow at Dr Alexander’s death, and both public bodies agreed to attend the funeral in their official capacity.

Bonnie Parker-Duke
22-Jun-08, 01:39
I believe that typhus and typhoid are two different diseases. Typhus is a louse-borne fever and typhoid is an acute generalized infection caused by Salmonella typhi usually carried by contaminated milk or water. I had family in Wick at the time of which you write; I'd be interested in knowing which it was.

Bonnie Parker-Duke

Tricia
22-Jun-08, 13:40
Death certificate confirms the "fever" below was in fact typhus....

THE SCOTSMAN 17 APRIL 1894 p4
Dr Alexander, Wick, died on Sunday from fever contracted in the discharge of his professional duties. The sad event has caused deep regret in the town and throughout the county where Dr Alexander had an extensive practice, and was greatly respected. The deceased gentleman was forty five years of age and leaves a widow and three young children. At a special meeting last night of the Wick Town Council and the Pulteneytown Commissioners, resolutions were adopted expressing sorrow at Dr Alexander’s death, and both public bodies agreed to attend the funeral in their official capacity.

This could be John Alexander
1. JOHN ALEXANDER Christening: 27 FEB 1839 Watten, Caithness, Scotland
BORN WATTEN parents William Alexander and Henrietta Craig.
Siblings:
2. DONALD ALEXANDER Christening: 08 APR 1835 Watten, Caithness, Scotland
3. MARGARET BAIN ALEXANDER - Christening: 26 MAY 1847 Watten, Caithness, Scotland
4. ALEXANDER ALEXANDER - Christening: MAY 1849 Watten, Caithness, Scotland
5. HENRIETTA WYMSS INNES ALEXANDER - Christening: 01 JUN 1843 Watten, Caithness, Scotland
6. WILLIAM ALEXANDER - Christening: 12 APR 1841 Watten, Caithness, Scotland

John in 1881 is in High Street, Wick with Wife Georgiana and his brother Alexander - both are Physician & Surgeon,
1891 same address - no children noted on census. ??? death syas 3 young children??
1871 single in High St with sister Henrietta Sutherland(Alexander)

susan.leith
23-Jun-08, 20:46
The death notice from the Scotsman refers not to John, but to his brother Alexander - yes, Dr Alexander Alexander! Alexander's widow and 3 children later moved to Edinburgh. Dr John Alexander (married but no family that I'm aware of) died in 1901, and there is a statue of him close to the railway station in Wick. I have full details of both families if anyone is interested.

mary helen
25-Jun-08, 08:18
Domino,
The Clyne who died of Typhoid was Henry Clyne in 1894.
M.H

Tricia
25-Jun-08, 19:07
The death notice from the Scotsman refers not to John, but to his brother Alexander - yes, Dr Alexander Alexander! Alexander's widow and 3 children later moved to Edinburgh. Dr John Alexander (married but no family that I'm aware of) died in 1901, and there is a statue of him close to the railway station in Wick. I have full details of both families if anyone is interested.

Thanks Susan.
Do you relate to Dr Alex Alexander.
Trying to sort out the Alexanders I have.
Tricia

mary helen
30-Jun-08, 08:36
Domino,
Henry Clyne, son of Henry Clyne and Barbara Ireland died of typhoid 1/1/1894 age 9 years
MH

mary helen
14-Jul-08, 09:04
Domino,
Just wondering if you ever got the info you requested in my post and PM of 30 June?
Always nice to know site is working.
MH

mary helen
05-Aug-08, 11:15
I guess it is not. A pity.

Saveman
05-Aug-08, 13:43
Typhus reports in the John O'Groat Journal in the 1800s

http://www.ambaile.org/en/newspapers/search_results.jsp?newspaper=5&PrimarySubject=0&startyear=*&endyear=*&keywords=typhus&StartRow=0&MaxRows=25

Hope this helps. :)