PDA

View Full Version : Alexander McLeod

mary helen
17-Jun-07, 23:45
Would love to hear from family members who can tell me about my
GreatGrandfather Alexander McLeod (tailor) born1864 Stornoway son of Kenneth McLeod and Isabella Sutherland who married in Wick 1858.
I found an entry on the 1861 census for a brother Adam born 1860 and Kenneth born 1858. Adam must have died as there is another Adam born to Kenneth and Isabella in 1866

Already searched scotlandspeople and Census records.

Also seeking BMD info on their children Henry Clyne McLeod b. 1890 Forfar, Alice b 1893 Glasgow who married John Kennedy and Isabella b 1896 Wick.
Would like to find out if they married and had children and when they died. Am I the only family member?
Thanks Mary Helen

trinkie
18-Jun-07, 07:38
Hello Mary Helen,

Have you tried www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk) for BDM ?

That would give you an accurate record of your family.
There is a small charge - £6 for 30 credits, but one certificate is about 6 credits - so it is not expensive.
On a death cert. for example, you will get the details of the person you are searching plus his parents and spouse etc.
On a marr cert you will get both names and both sets of parents
Also occupation and address.

For Census records try FREECEN that service is free and again you would get the names of all of the family in the house on the night of the census. There also, approx ages which will be a guide to date of birth.

At the beginning of this Genealogy thread, there is a list of many sites to help you with your search. But always come back here and we will try to fill in gaps - or point you in the right direction.

Good luck and Happy Hunting
Trinkie
PS regarding Mary Ann Davidson in Grant Street - was she a shop keeper ?

mary helen
18-Jun-07, 08:46
Hi Trinkie
I have done all you suggest and spent 2 years and a small fortune going through records. Like most people I am using this site as a last resort.

Scotlandspeople only goes up to a certain date and does not help with the present day.Census records are only up to 1901.

I want to find out if I have family members out there so I can share info with them.

Grant Street was where they lived as recorded on the marriage certificate of M.A.Davidson 1914 and I do not think it was a shop.

Thanks for your reply
Mary Helen

trinkie
18-Jun-07, 15:34
Poor you - up against the old Brick Wall, it's awful when you can get no further. Believe me I know, I have been stuck for a couple of years too.

However another thought - have you checked Passenger Lists ( they had a habit of escaping ) I went to National Archives at Kew and had some success. Now a lot of it is on line..... Findmyancestors I think... give it a try.

Good luck,
Trinkie

mary helen
07-Jul-07, 18:11
Will do. Thanks another avenue opened !

Tackity Boo
08-Jul-07, 22:41
Hi there Mary Helen

I have sent you a pm.

Carole