PDA

View Full Version : William Campbell

mary
15-Jun-07, 20:33
William Campbell was my 2xggrandfather he died in Wick in 1857 on his death certificate it states he was buried in the Church Yard Wick. Can anyone tell where about in Wick this could be?
William was a widower when he died, his wife was Catherine Smith, Catherine is listed on the 1851 census age 62 yrs. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice where I could find out if she is buried in the same grave as William as I would like if possible to get the date of her death.

Thank you

Mary Clark.

trinkie
16-Jun-07, 10:27
Hello Mary,

If William Campbell lived in Wick at the time of his death, He would most likely have been buried in the Old Cemetery, near the Wick Parish Church.
The same applies to his wife.

Good luck
Trinkie

mary
16-Jun-07, 15:21
Hello trinkie,
Thanks for replying.
I guess that will be the Churchyard as on his death cert. address is given as Old Wick. Is there anyone I could contact to find out who else is buried in the grave?
Is Wick Parish Church in Pultneytown?

Mary.

trinkie
16-Jun-07, 16:01
Hello Mary,

I think you should contact the Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages at Wick to find out who is buried - and where exactly
Wick and Pultney were separate little towns until 1902 ( please correct me if I'm wrong, someone )
Old Wick therefore, is not part of Pultney..... but Wick.

Do you have their 'usual address' on the Death certificate? that would help.

Sometimes folk were taken back to their place of birth for burial , that's worth remembering in your search. Also if an old person was ill, they often went to live with a daughter and would have been buried in that area.

I think you will get the address of BD&Ms on this site.
Good Luck
Trinkie

mary
16-Jun-07, 17:02
Hello Trinkie,
Thank you for the quick reply.
With regards to William's death cert. address is just given as Old Wick his son-in-law Donald Gray (present) was the informant and his address is given as Janetstown, Parish of Wick. Where buried is Churchyard of Wick as certified by John Flett Joiner.

I will have a look around the site and see if I can find the address for BMD in Wick.
I just thought I'd include the death certificate.
Thanks again for your help.

Mary.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q152/Scottishlassie_album/1857-DeathExtractWilliamCampbellcop.jpg