PDA

View Full Version : Graham Begg's advert

dragonfly
13-Jun-07, 08:09
:mad: is it just me or does Graham Begg's advert on the front of the Courier and Groat infuriate anyone else??

"Begg for a Bargain"!!!

I know it means go to Beggs for a bargain but everytime I see it I read it as if you want a bargain, you'll have to beg for it :confused

maybe I'm just over sensitive and have little else to spout about??

Victoria
13-Jun-07, 09:47
similar kind of thing....

I hate that advert on the TV where the guy has phoned his answerphone at home to leave himself a message then insults the in-laws by calling them the old duffers. It then cuts to the wife and the inlaws sitting there listening to the message all along.

WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST ANSWER THE PHONE WHEN IT WAS RINGING!!!!!!!!!!!![evil][lol]

Spirit
13-Jun-07, 09:59
:mad: is it just me or does Graham Begg's advert on the front of the Courier and Groat infuriate anyone else??

"Begg for a Bargain"!!!

I know it means go to Beggs for a bargain but everytime I see it I read it as if you want a bargain, you'll have to beg for it :confused

maybe I'm just over sensitive and have little else to spout about??

I mention this to my husband last week. I'm the same everytime I read it I feel like they are asking us to beg. Ridiculous that they expect us to grovel for so called bargins when they should be begging us to come in an buy.

Murdina Bug
13-Jun-07, 10:21
maybe I'm just over sensitive??

Yes, I think you are!:eek:

henry20
13-Jun-07, 11:32
Its one of lifes little niggles I guess. The Buttresses advert used to annoy me when they had their sale in the smaller shop - they advertised 'Krazy price Kuts'. I don't claim to be perfect (honest) but deliberate spelling mistakes really annoy me.

Saying that, I just got back from holiday and the gangway that connects the plane to the terminal building wasn't working, so we had to wait for the stairs so that we could disembark the 'old fashioned' way. There was this gent (!? he was anything but a gent!) that started to get really annoyed and cursing and swearing because we had to wait for the stairs to come before we got off plane. I reasoned that he must have a great life if his biggest complaint was that he had to wait 5 minutes to get off the plane - funnily enough we were at luggage reclaim before our luggage, so we technically weren't delayed at all. I had to smile though that during landing, his son who was asleep wet himself and saturated his father. :lol:

Bit off topic I know, but I guess the point that I'm making is, if we put more thought into things that annoy or infuriate us, we'd realise just how trivial they are.

Back onto the Beggs advert - whether intentional or not, they have achieved their aim - to spread word about the business. How many people may have read this thread and wondered what bargains there are? Adverts that invoke a reaction - good or bad will be more talked about than a plain advert which gets little response.

theone
13-Jun-07, 13:15
Bargain?

I went into beggs a few months ago for a HDMI cable.

At the time the salesman was boasting to a customer about their price cuts. They had just reduced a tv by £400 to £1400.

I had bought the same tv from empire direct for £990 the week before......

sandyr
13-Jun-07, 16:40
For what it's worth,
Graham Begg and all other smaller businesses, are obviously having a bit of a tough time just now competing with the Big Box Stores, e.g. Tesco's, and all those in Inverness.
So,would it not be better to support him, and keep the local businesses alive, and with people who are available to talk with, rather than give the business to those 'other people'/ and he is employing local people!
I think that it is rather innovative to post 'Begg for a Bargain'. I certainly don't take it in any other way than Graham Begg has some deals!
Now I have to admit that I havn't seen the advert, but lets not hang him for trying to stay in business.

mccaugm
13-Jun-07, 16:43
For what it's worth,
Graham Begg and all other smaller businesses, are obviously having a bit of a tough time just now competing with the Big Box Stores, e.g. Tesco's, and all those in Inverness.
So,would it not be better to support him, and keep the local businesses alive, and with people who are available to talk with, rather than give the business to those 'other people'/ and he is employing local people!
I think that it is rather innovative to post 'Begg for a Bargain'. I certainly don't take it in any other way than Graham Begg has some deals!
Now I have to admit that I havn't seen the advert, but lets not hang him for trying to stay in business.

Also his advertising campaign is now more successful as you have given him additional advertising...it might be irritating but it is effective as you have proven.

johno
13-Jun-07, 17:56
For what it's worth,
certainly not where it would cost me the tune of £410 according to the previous post. if they want to survive then they aught to compete with the opposition

dragonfly
13-Jun-07, 19:11
but lets not hang him for trying to stay in business.

Certainly wasn't my intention, I do buy from there on a more than occasional basis and always find the staff helpful and cheery, but this ad has just bugged me :roll:

wi46
13-Jun-07, 21:08
I agree poor advert for a poor company, you certainly have to beg to get your equipment back if you put it in for repair? it takes months. please sir can I have my DVD player back

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Jun-07, 21:30
I've not been in Graham Beggs since they used to rent out Betamax videos.

Murdina Bug
14-Jun-07, 09:52
Well, I'm sticking up for them! We bought a frost-free fridge freezer for less than Argos had it, the delivery was cheaper and much faster! They even unwrapped it and took the packaging away! And there was no begging involved...

henry20
15-Jun-07, 17:33
if they want to survive then they aught to compete with the opposition

Thats easier said than done. I'm sure if they could buy things for the same price as Argos/Tesco's, then they would be able to be more competitive.

Having said that, I bought a hoover from Argos thinking it would be a great deal and found that I could've ordered it locally for a lot less - and it only cost £145 in Argos. Just goes to show that you shouldn't assume Argos or Tesco's will be cheaper.

I also priced goods in shops south while I was away and found them cheaper locally. :)

Jeemag_USA
15-Jun-07, 19:17
Can't see what the fuss is about, you'd have to be pretty highly strung to be ruffled by something like that no ;)

As for Krazy Price Kuts, you can thank rock group Slade and Noddy holder for that, they started it all back in the early seventies much to the dismay of school teachers who tried to have their music banned for stuff like "Cum on feel the Noize" and Ma Ma we're all krazee now! [lol]

Les McBeath
15-Jun-07, 22:01
Well, I'm sticking up for them! We bought a frost-free fridge freezer for less than Argos had it, the delivery was cheaper and much faster! They even unwrapped it and took the packaging away! And there was no begging involved...

I am supporting them on this as well, I recently bought a tumble drier from them after seeing it advertised in the "Groat". There was stores on the internet whose prices were similar for the same item but then were going to add a fortune on for delivery! plus we would have to wait for weeks before there was transport coming "way up here"!

johno
15-Jun-07, 23:08
[quote=henry20;233066]Thats easier said than done. I'm sure if they could buy things for the same price as Argos/Tesco's, then they would be able to be more competitive.

Having said that, I bought a hoover from Argos thinking it would be a great deal and found that I could've ordered it locally for a lot less - and it only cost £145 in Argos. Just goes to show that you shouldn't assume Argos or Tesco's will be cheaper.

I also priced goods in shops south while I was away and found them cheaper locally. :)[/quote
According to Theon the difference on a telly from Begg,s & the same telly from the big stores is £410, now that,s not chicken feed in my book.
I know who is going to get my custom whether it,s local business or south, Money saved, is money in my account not in Beggs or anyone else,s & poor Graham can just put a little less fuel in his big 4x4.
I never once implied that all things were cheaper in the big stores than in the local businesses but if the likes of Begg,s want my custom they will just have to price match, I,like every body else will go to where one,s money gets the best value that it can

Tristan
15-Jun-07, 23:43
I seem to remember they used to advertise they belonged to one of, if not the, biggest buying group. If that is still the case they should easily be able to match or beat any price.

johno
16-Jun-07, 09:29
I seem to remember they used to advertise they belonged to one of, if not the, biggest buying group. If that is still the case they should easily be able to match or beat any price.
thats very true i remember that ad myself. ;)

WeeBurd
16-Jun-07, 22:51
I have to say, they're advertising can't be that good, as honestly, I've never actually noticed it. And I read the Courier/Groat every week!

Personally, I always take my business to alternative local suppliers where possible- Begg's staff were always chatting amongst themselves, and appeared too snotty to even acknowledge customers that they didn't know (maybe it was personal?!:lol:), which used to infuriate me. Left a lasting impression I'm afraid, so as an adult with disposable income, I never even consider them as an option, and would rather internet shop if I can't get what I want elsewhere in the town.

I will say though, this is only MY experience, and their sales team may have changed since I was last in there.

Appropriate customer care is cruical to every business, but nowhere is it more important, than the local high streets where businesses are having to compete with the large retail groups, and internet discount sites.:confused

northener
17-Jun-07, 18:49
Beggs - deliver when you want, dont have to wait in all day for a no-show from a hard pressed courier.

If there's a problem you can talk to someone who actually understands a bit about electrical goods - try that at Argos.

Prices are fairly competetive but, bearing in mind what I've just posted, cheapest deal is not always the best deal!

As for that comment about "putting a bit less fuel in his big 4x4", that just smacks of small minded jealousy.

johno
17-Jun-07, 19:56
Beggs - deliver when you want, dont have to wait in all day for a no-show from a hard pressed courier.

If there's a problem you can talk to someone who actually understands a bit about electrical goods - try that at Argos.

Prices are fairly competetive but, bearing in mind what I've just posted, cheapest deal is not always the best deal!

As for that comment about "putting a bit less fuel in his big 4x4", that just smacks of small minded jealousy.
get lost graham is a pal o mine [lol]

northener
18-Jun-07, 19:14
I'm pleased to hear it, and in that case, I withdraw my remark about being jealous!:D

Tony
18-Jun-07, 20:00
Also his advertising campaign is now more successful as you have given him additional advertising...it might be irritating but it is effective as you have proven.
I agree with this 100%. You often get some strange adverts so that you point out one in particular to a friend and then the friend will then read it and comment also. This proves that out of all the adverts the strange one got your attention. Graham Begg's have been around for many years and long may he continue to provide competition to the other electrical outlets. He was/is part of the Euronics buying network for independents to try and compete but thing must be more difficult with cheap imports, Supermarkets and Internet with no store overheads etc.
The thing is the supermarkets don't provide enough choice of electrical goods and the internet does not supply locally and both don't provide the personal touch by assistance and/or installation by a qualified person. The other thing is Internet shopping may supply older or end of line stock and sometimes B grade.

Buttercup
19-Jun-07, 19:08
I agree with this 100%. You often get some strange adverts so that you point out one in particular to a friend and then the friend will then read it and comment also. This proves that out of all the adverts the strange one got your attention. Graham Begg's have been around for many years and long may he continue to provide competition to the other electrical outlets. He was/is part of the Euronics buying network for independents to try and compete but thing must be more difficult with cheap imports, Supermarkets and Internet with no store overheads etc.
The thing is the supermarkets don't provide enough choice of electrical goods and the internet does not supply locally and both don't provide the personal touch by assistance and/or installation by a qualified person. The other thing is Internet shopping may supply older or end of line stock and sometimes B grade.

It may well get people talking about it (as you say that is being proven here) however will it really make anyone buy from them? - which is surely the main point in advertising. Personally speaking, ads that annoy me ie "confused.com" and "BARRY SCOTT'S CILLIT BANG" insure that I DON'T buy! :lol:

angela5
20-Jun-07, 11:56
Notice today the title has changed to Begg's Bargain Buys.:D