PDA

View Full Version : McPherson research

pamela fayle
04-Jun-07, 07:09
Have now got a long way with researching my McPherson ancestors (originating in Golspie and then Lybster - where no descendants remain). If anyone is interested in William McPherson and Janet Ross of Golspie, their three children (that I know of) Elizabeth (who married Donald Cormack and lived at Maevsy Clyth), John (who married Jane/Jean Bain and lived at Occumster, Clyth then Lybster; second wife Helen Taylor) and David (who married Isabella Grant then Elizabeth Paterson and lived at mid-Clyth) - then please let me know and I can email you the story so far. I have not followed Elizabeth or David beyond their children to the next generation but have followed John McPherson for a number of generations. Two of his children (George and Donald) went to Australia. James stayed and married Margaret Budge and lived at Clashbuoy/Clashbuithe Lybster and Janet/Jessie married Donald McIntosh and moved to Dunbeath (one of her daughters, Ann McIntosh, returned to the Lybster area and married Duncan Cormack). Look forward to hearing from anyone with an interest in these families of the Lybster, Dunbeath and Golspie areas - McPherson, McIntosh, Cormack, Budge, Grant, Paterson, Taylor.

pamela fayle
17-Jun-07, 02:44
I have, since posting the last message, located two more children of William and Janet McPherson: son Donald (b.early 1790s) who married Mary Henderson and had eight children in Tongue parish, Sutherland. His widow and all but two daughters migrated to Australia in the 1850s; and a daughter, Helen McPherson (b.1806) who married a John Graham (mason and crofter) and lived at Newlands near Clyth, north of Lybster. They had 7 children whom I have not tracked past their births. Having found only one William McPherson in Golspie parish in the 1811 census with this many children, I think I have now located all of his and Janet Ross's surviving children - ie five McPhersons (Donald (married Mary Henderson), Elizabeth (married Donald Cormack),John (married Jane/Jean Bain and then Helen Taylor), David (married Isabella Grant and then Elizabeth Paterson) and Helen (married John Graham). Interested in anyone connected to these families who mostly lived near Lybster and if they migrated, came to Australia.

williamthompson1958
29-Jun-07, 14:11
Hi Pamela, I have posted my first message on the forum re William MacPherson. I was wondering if this gentleman was related to you in any way. sorry, I don't have much too go on other than that I posted. Any info on the MacPherson clan would be much appreciated.
Best wishes,
Willie Thompson.

pamela fayle
02-Jul-07, 01:10
It is possible as William is a family name. I will keep an eye out as I move to the 1900s in my research but have no connection to offer at this point. You should try to find a death certificate as that will tell you lots.

williamthompson1958
04-Jul-07, 09:28
many thanks. I'm going to try and get to Glasgow registry office. been told that's a good place for info.
Best wishes,Williw Thompson.:D

caroline
04-Jul-07, 16:41
Hi William

You will be able to access the same records at the Park Circus Registry Office as Edinburgh records. Only snag is there is a six week waiting list but you can phone every day to find out if there is a cancellation for the next day. The staff are all very helpful. If you need the phone number p. m. me

1chirton
26-Oct-07, 15:12
Hi William

You will be able to access the same records at the Park Circus Registry Office as Edinburgh records. Only snag is there is a six week waiting list but you can phone every day to find out if there is a cancellation for the next day. The staff are all very helpful. If you need the phone number p. m. me
can anyone tell me how to access the scotish cencus records for 1901 I am looking for robertina sutherland daughter of isabella? adamson who lived in mid clyth, was robertina still in scotland at this date,I would be most grateful

Oddquine
26-Oct-07, 15:21
can anyone tell me how to access the scotish cencus records for 1901 I am looking for robertina sutherland daughter of isabella? adamson who lived in mid clyth, was robertina still in scotland at this date,I would be most grateful

I think you'd have to go to Scotland's People for them at the moment. I haven't found them anywhere else yet.
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php)

It will cost you though...........unless anyone has spare credits and is prepared to look the name up for you.

Just noticed, it is on Ancestry.com now...............maybe you could do the free trial!