PDA

View Full Version : Waste of resources.

2little2late
26-Jul-17, 22:05
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Fire-crew-rescue-gull-stranded-in-derelict-building-26072017.htm

What an absolute waste of money and resources. Personally I would have let nature take it course and left it die.

rogermellie
26-Jul-17, 22:46
Looks like a useful training excercise

The real story here should be the state of that building

Kevin Milkins
26-Jul-17, 23:21
I have to agree with Mr Mellie on both counts, it would be a useful training exercise for the fire service, but how are owners of properties like this allowed to let them get into such an eyesore and dangerous condition?

The Horseman
27-Jul-17, 04:23
I recently read that nearly half of Commercial properties in Wick were derelect. V sad.

mi16
27-Jul-17, 12:40
Rescuing stranded animals costs the fire service £6m in past 3 years.
a massive waste indeed, if an owner wants tiddles rescued then foot the bill if not then tough

bonami
27-Jul-17, 20:33
A good few of the derelict buildings in Wick belong to the same family. Dominoes Old Sloans shop. Macarthur St buildings. Houses in Grant St and more. Been like this for years and nothing is ever done about it.

2little2late
28-Jul-17, 17:34
Going off topic now, but I can't see why 'E Cooncil (as everyone calls it up North) can't put in a compulsory purchase order for these buildings. Or better still a demolition order. Wicks landscape would look slightly better if these derelict buildings were either renovated or demolished, or will they just wait until the buildings are accidentally on purpose set alight?

theone
29-Jul-17, 21:47
Going off topic now, but I can't see why 'E Cooncil (as everyone calls it up North) can't put in a compulsory purchase order for these buildings.

Because they've got no money?

2little2late
30-Jul-17, 21:13
'e cooncil seems to have enough money to waste on building the new high school and Noss primary, so why not buy theses derelict buildings?

theone
30-Jul-17, 21:34
'e cooncil seems to have enough money to waste on building the new high school and Noss primary, so why not buy theses derelict buildings?

I would say building new schools to educate the future generation is not a waste of money.

I would say giving money to owners of buildings who are unwilling to look after them is a waste of money.

Remember the house in princes street in Thurso that got a compulsory purchase order? The owners left it derelict for years, effectively won the jackpot when theygot a sum of public money to 'buy' it off them. Then the council spent 3/4 of a million pounds converting it into 3 flats. £750,000 for 3 flats.

If there is a need/market to renovate these buildings then the owner, or somebody else, will do it. At the moment, there isn't.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're an eyesore and would like to see them demolished or renovate.

I just think there's better, or more important things to spend my taxes on.

2little2late
01-Aug-17, 23:55
I would say building new schools to educate the future generation is not a waste of money.

I would say giving money to owners of buildings who are unwilling to look after them is a waste of money.

Remember the house in princes street in Thurso that got a compulsory purchase order? The owners left it derelict for years, effectively won the jackpot when theygot a sum of public money to 'buy' it off them. Then the council spent 3/4 of a million pounds converting it into 3 flats. £750,000 for 3 flats.

If there is a need/market to renovate these buildings then the owner, or somebody else, will do it. At the moment, there isn't.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're an eyesore and would like to see them demolished or renovate.

I just think there's better, or more important things to spend my taxes on.

Building the new schools was a waste of money when the Wick High and North Schools could have been renovated. As for wasting money on 'e cooncil orifice in the town, well that's another debate. But then 'e cooncil is good at wasting public money eh?