PDA

View Full Version : MAKE GELDOF HISTORY

frank ward
08-Jun-05, 20:25
MAKE POVERTY HISTORY - Buses to Edinburgh - MAKE POVERTY HISTORY

As the leaders of the world's richest countries gather in Scotland for the G8 Summit, join tens of thousands of others in Edinburgh on 2nd July demanding trade justice, debt cancellation, and more and better aid for the world's poorest countries.

See www.makepovertyhistory.org/edinburgh/ for more information

Justice Not War are organising buses to the demonstration, leaving Inverness on Saturday 2 July, 7.30am.
To book your place you need to phone Eleanor on 01463 242659
£12 waged, £6 unwaged - single or return.

For overnight accommodation in Inverness and transport from the North to the Inverness bus, and for those wishing to remain in Edinburgh for the G8 Alternatives on the Sunday Tel Eleanor 01463 242659 or Frank on 01862 811233.

please forward this to others who might be interested in joining us

doreenhedgehog
08-Jun-05, 20:46
Geldof is a scruffy attention seeking fool.

Let's sort out poverty and illness in this country first!

Riffman
08-Jun-05, 21:03
Right intentions, but irresponsible in implementing them.

golach
08-Jun-05, 21:12
I see the SSP are jumping on to someone else's band wagon

Drutt
08-Jun-05, 21:19
Oh yes! Let's make sure all our chavs can afford their designer trainers. We don't care about those Africans dying of starvation!

[/sarcasm] [disgust]

Drutt
08-Jun-05, 21:19
Right intentions, but irresponsible in implementing them.
How so?

scorrie
08-Jun-05, 22:54

Scruffy is irrelevant, looks mean nothing. It seems Jesus had a bit of a facial hair problem as well. At least Geldof is trying to help. I wonder what evidence you can produce of your own efforts to end world poverty and famine?

I do agree that the USA and the UK are great for trying to sort out the World's problems when their own countries have plenty to worry about but at least in the UK people can sign on and get some money. This option is not on for many starving people around the World.

Forget looks and attention seeking, there are many more prominent and much more shallow people in this World than Bob Geldof. "Geldof" his case and open your purse instead of your mouth!!

doreenhedgehog
09-Jun-05, 08:48
I'm not bothered about him being scruffy to be honest, but it was part of his description all the same. As for opening my purse, I will and regularly do. But not for him.

There are plenty people in this country in urgent need of my donations.

Whitewater
09-Jun-05, 09:15
The thought is great and I really hope that what Bob Geldof is doing will make a difference in some areas. My only fear is that there are so many corrupt regimes in Africa that I doubt very much if even 10% of the monies raised will reach the deprived areas.

I also feel that Bob is being a wee bit irresponsible by asking everybody to decend on Edinburgh, traffic and people control will cause immence logistical problems, lets hope the local authorities can get all the assistance they need and all the demonstrations go off peacefully, but I'm afraid the National Front might sieze upon this as an opporunity to bring attention to their racial policies and by doing so will create mayhem.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong

Drutt
09-Jun-05, 09:17
I'm not bothered about him being scruffy to be honest, but it was part of his description all the same. As for opening my purse, I will and regularly do. But not for him.

There are plenty people in this country in urgent need of my donations.

There's something you missed doreenhedgehog. He's not even asking for your money.

He's asking for people to go to Edinburgh and let the G8 summit know that we will not sit idly by while Africans die of starvation, merely because keeping 3rd world countries up to their eyeballs in debt suits developed countries.

Their debt is attached to conditions, like 'you must buy our weapons' and 'you must buy our products'. Meanwhile they pay far more on interest than they ever borrowed, and their farmers are expected to compete with the highly-subsidised farmers in the US and Europe. The policy of the developed countries is keeping Africa in poverty and ensuring people keep dying. Enough is enough.

You keep popping your change in the British charity collection tins, if it makes you feel satisfied. I'll be in Edinburgh.

Drutt
09-Jun-05, 09:21
The thought is great and I really hope that what Bob Geldof is doing will make a difference in some areas. My only fear is that there are so many corrupt regimes in Africa that I doubt very much if even 10% of the monies raised will reach the deprived areas.
What monies raised? Who asked for your money? This is not what the demos in Edinburgh are about.

I also feel that Bob is being a wee bit irresponsible by asking everybody to decend on Edinburgh, traffic and people control will cause immence logistical problems, lets hope the local authorities can get all the assistance they need and all the demonstrations go off peacefully, but I'm afraid the National Front might sieze upon this as an opporunity to bring attention to their racial policies and by doing so will create mayhem.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong
If a million people turn up to make a peaceful point, who gives a penny farthing what the NF might try to do? Yes, the media may skew their reports to make it look chaotic, but the vast majority of people will be there as part of a peaceful protest against the maintenance of 3rd world debt.

If a million people really do turn up to Edinburgh, it'll be far harder to ignore the wishes of the demonstrators than if a million people protested in London. That's half the point.

squidge
09-Jun-05, 09:42
Its important doreenhedgeog to recognise we have a respoinsibility to the whole world not simply our little corner.

Drutt is right no one is asking for MONEY they are asking for your time to help send a message to a group of people who do have the power to influence and change things.

I wish i was going but im not in the UK then - im visiting my mom in france or i would have been there and i would have taken my kids too

golach
09-Jun-05, 10:00
If a million people really do turn up to Edinburgh, it'll be far harder to ignore the wishes of the demonstrators than if a million people protested in London. That's half the point.

Well done Drutt, I live in Edinburgh and I don't want a Million people demonstrating in my back yard.
The cost for the policing alone is horrendous,and has to be paid for by the good burgers o Edinburgh by way of our Council Tax,
The disruption will make life in my adopted home a misery for the general public, businesses and not to mention that HRH has had to re-schedule her Garden Party, ( No big deal ) I've been to one before.
So Im sorry go an demonstrate at Gleneagles and scare a few sheep an coo's but my attitude will be the NIMBY policy

katarina
09-Jun-05, 10:19
I applaud his sentiments but I do think it is a bit irisponsible to ask all these people to descend on Edinburgh. fine if he could guarantee a peaceful demonstration - but can anyone?

Solitude
09-Jun-05, 10:45
dorrenhedgehog!!

It seems to me that is people like you that give us Scots a bad name. Yes we have our own problems but people in this coutry arn't dying in their thousands. I happily hand over my money and time to this cause. I am entitled to my own opinion and so are you but i just think you are so wrong!!

Rheghead
09-Jun-05, 11:07
I actually applaud Bob Geldof's intentions, he has highligted a cause that all too often has been overlooked on the international political stage.

Where my admiration for him this time falls down at, is his failure to fully cooperate with the authorities in good time. Edinburgh is a nightmare to get accomodation in or to navigate at the best of times, let alone with an extra million souls wandering around the place. Even if this were possible to accomodate an extra million in Edinburgh, it would take a full year of preparation with the full cooperation of the council and other authorities. Too much too late.

Any blood spilt due to social unrest will be on Geldof's hands.

I won't be going, I will buy another thing from FairTrade instead.

Through
09-Jun-05, 11:46
Scruffy is irrelevant, looks mean nothing. It seems Jesus had a bit of a facial hair problem as well.

We have no idea what Jesus looked like.

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Jun-05, 11:52
I live on Murrayfield's doorstep. Can't say I'm looking forward to everybody stepping over it. Nevertheless, I'll be chillin' in the garden with a BBQ listening to my kind of music. And being the capitalist swine I am, will charge £40 for tye-die shirts with a £5 taz entry fee. Enjoy!

DrSzin
09-Jun-05, 12:30
The best of luck til ye Pepsi!

Edinburgh Council are setting up a temporary campsite in the playing fields at the Jack Kane Centre in Niddrie (http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4664180). Well, that'll be nice for Edinburgh's visitors: the Jack Kane Centre is a beautiful example of stylish 60s architecture, and Niddrie is a lovely touristy area, packed with classy shops, bars and restaurants. It's also a pleasant 5-minute stroll along quiet uncongested Niddrie Mains Road to the Meadows, Princes Street and Murrayfield. Yeah, right! :confused

BTW I thought "Make Geldof History" was a death threat -- as in "You're history, pal!" :lol:

mike.mckenzie
09-Jun-05, 13:33
Aye go but just leave my work's Edinburgh building alone, it'll mean a lot of work for me if you all break it!

Rheghead
09-Jun-05, 14:24
BTW I thought "Make Geldof History" was a death threat -- as in "You're history, pal!" :lol:

That was my initial thought as well.

gleeber
09-Jun-05, 14:53
Most of my sympathies lie with Doreenhedgehog on this one. Those of you who are spouting the loudest about her stance are probably the ones who can imagine and fantasize a world where everyone is fed and 700 million Africans compete with the rest of us for our daily bread. I dont have that optimism.
Its not about money as has been pointed out. Its about awareness of someone elses misery. How much I wonder are those of you who are going to Edinburgh prepared to change so as these starving millions will be able to compete with us for the comforts we now embrace? Not a lot I suspect. Im sure you will have a good day out though and be able to condemn Doreenhedgehog and people like masel for daring to have a different angle on a situation you blame on others.
After we dipped into our pockets for the victims of the tsunami how long did that awareness last? 1 week? 1 month? What did I permanently change about my lifestyle so as these poor people who had to live my worst nightmare could become unpoor? Zilsch.
Do you guys really think that this event will change anything that needs to be changed?
Lessons in awareness of poverty from Elton John and Madonna should give at least the less gullible of you an idea what this event is really about. Its about blaming someone else for something we are ultimately responsible for ourselves.
The only way these poor peoples lives will change will be if they change. Not if I descend on Edinburgh with a headful of sentimental claptrap pointing the finger at a bunch of self interested politicians who, whether you want to believe it or not reflect each and every one of us in whichever country they are the leader.
We get the leaders we deserve. The same applies to the Africans.
Until they become aware of all the stuff that is keeping them in harness and their leaders in luxury and pop stars in ego trips, sod all will change.
PS
I wouldnt mind a ticket to the berlin concert. ;)

DrSzin
09-Jun-05, 15:05
Gleeber! Have you no soul, man? :eek:

Seriously, I know a few people who've lived and worked in Africa, and they would probably agree with your comments about Africans and their leaders. In fact, they would likely make even stronger remarks.

However, cancelling (or at least alleviating) the debts of poor African nations will surely help them to compete economically on a level playing field (no Jack-Kane pun intended).

Come and join us, and enjoy a good day out! :D

golach
09-Jun-05, 16:20
Gleeber says
"Lessons in awareness of poverty from Elton John and Madonna should give at least the less gullible of you an idea what this event is really about"

Oh Gleeber oh Gleeber!!! ye have picked two stoaters to give us lessons in the awareness of poverty, the pair of them have combined bank accounts that many a poor country would love to have.
Get you tackety boots into Messrs Blair & Bush, and get them to do something, dinna come and disturb my tranquil retirement while I'm sitting sipping my Pimms in my backgreen.

an DrSzin, what have the misunderstood and much maligned Niddrieites done to deserve the tongue in cheek accolade you have given, many a good Hibby comes from Niddrie [mad]

DrSzin
09-Jun-05, 16:58
Yer dead right Golach, there is indeed nowt wrong wi' the good people o' Niddrie -- I have known a good few native Niddrie-ites, but I suspect none of 'em would claim that the place itself is the most pleasant or bohemian part of the city. One of my best mates comes fae there, but he escaped many, many years ago. I guess the Jack Kane campsite has one advantage for supermarket-starved Caithnessians -- it's no far fae the Porty ASDA. :D

Maybe we Caithness.Orgers could meet for a drink or ten in an Edinburgh public house in the evening? Rheghead could organise it. How about it Rheggers? How about 'e Diggers? :cool:

Enjoy yer Pimms, Golach -- canna stand 'e stuff masel'. [disgust]

Sandra
09-Jun-05, 18:57
I'd love to go to the march, but I'm away then. But I'll be near London so fingers crossed that I might win some Live 8 tickets, and can show my support that way.

scorrie
09-Jun-05, 19:25
Scruffy is irrelevant, looks mean nothing. It seems Jesus had a bit of a facial hair problem as well.

We have no idea what Jesus looked like.

Err, it seems pretty certain that Gillette did not have a shop in Nazareth some two thousand years ago. Some people think Jesus was black, who know's but the bookies say it is odds on that he had bum fluff on his chin. Give us this day our daily beard!! Amen

gleeber
10-Jun-05, 08:16
Gleeber! Have you no soul, man? :eek:
Come and join us, and enjoy a good day out! :D

Im working on my soul Doc
but
theres got to be
a
better way
than
poetry

I must admit the thought about going to Edinburgh with another 4 million beatniks and having a good time on the heads of millions of starving people never occured to me. Im not so sure now though. Maybe its ok.
I'll see! :)

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Jun-05, 18:20
Pintage sounds good, Dr Szin. :)

I might be working on the same day, but it won't stop me having a few beers, if you know what I mean.

frank ward
10-Jun-05, 20:03
Brown's much-heralded 'increase in aid' is in fact a grubby little ploy to pool all existing aid donations and have it loaned out through scum like the IMF and World Bank, resulting in what appears to be a short-term increase in available aid - but rapidly turning into another debt mountain.
This 'aid' will be burdened with monopoly interest charges and further conditions like privatisation of essential services ( opening them up to western 'entrepreneurs' as Brown likes to call them) and an end to local defensive import tariffs and subsidies of staple goods.

Golach chucks in his usual irrelevant tuppence worth - "I see the SSP are jumping on to someone else's band wagon" he says.
The marches against the G8 gangsters were organised LONG before Bob Geldof made his pitch. The SSP is a leading and founder member of the Justice Not War coalition. Bob Geldof has also decided to have his pop concerts at the same time as the Saturday march, thus reducing the potential attendance. So, golach, there is no 'bandwagon'. Some may salve their consciencesand have big fun pop concerts, and I welcome the increased interest this causes. Other are making a serious attempt to galvanise people into activity and expose the absolute fraud that Gordon Brown and Blair are perpetrating on us all.

theone
11-Jun-05, 05:32
Geldof shut you're mouth. All you're doing by enticing rallies and public demonstations near the G8 summit is placing more demands on the police and security services who are there to protect what is potentially a terrorists goldmine and therefore opening up Scotland for a terrorist attack.

Agree or disagree with the principles or practices of the G8 nations what Geldof has provoked is disgustingly irresponsible. 1000 bobbies watching demonstrators march is 1000 less bobbies protecting Scotland from terrorist attack.

Well done mate, you did a fine job with Band Aid and Live Aid and raised a lot of money, saved a lot of lives. But, enoughs enough.

I watched the famine in 1985, I sent my money and prayed for those suffering. I had nothing but sympathy for those affected. But now my symapthy has died. Remember those faces of toddlers with their ribs sticking out and the flies?

Geldof and Co raised awareness of these problems and got us to help. Well done. But, Why 20 years on am I being asked to pay for the same problem? Too many people, not enough food! That skinny 5 year old you sent your money to in '85 is now 25 and has 6 bairns. If your land cant feed you and your 2 sisters how in gods name do you expect it to feed you, your wife and six bairns 20 years later????

Christian Aid, one of the biggest charities to Africa has the slogan "We don't want help, we want to help ourselves"

The world community is happy to send money to people who they think are in need. People who are in a time of trouble and just need some aid to get them out of it. Look at the Tsunami disaster. Tsunami charity figures are nearly 10 times that donated during the '84,'85 famines in Africa.

I'm sorry to the people suffering, I really am. But as long as Bob Geldof keeps shouting for people to throw good money after bad as irresponsibly as he does I'll continue to think he's an idiot.

By the way, "pop star" Geldof hat hit singles with "I don't like mondays" and of course "Do they know its christmas?" Anyone else know any of the chartbreakers that made him a "star"?

Rheghead
11-Jun-05, 12:04
The comment about they don't want money has been made somewhere already. This concert is only highlighting a cause. OK, but ultimately it comes down to money whether it is cancelling world debt or raising money.

Mark Chapman had a point when he shot John Lennon, he did have 2 standards, he had all that cash but he portrayed this man of peace persona but he never did much to promote peace, he just wrote a couple of songs safely in his NY apartment. Another Beatle is Paul McCartney, he said "Money can't buy you Love' well he didn't waste much time after Linda's death to find love again, can you tell me catching a former model so soon in bereavement had nothing to do with all those millions that he has?

Any way back on track, I read somewhere that 90% of this countries wealth is owned by 10% of the population. So surely it is not the proles that should be shelling out to give aid but the rich and priveliged?
Since the rich in this country are able to largely avoid taxation by clever legals means (accounts in Swizerland, legal loopholes etc) it is up to the working class like me to bail them out.

I am sure Geldof isn't short of a bob or two. :eyes

Drutt
11-Jun-05, 13:43
Well done mate, you did a fine job with Band Aid and Live Aid and raised a lot of money, saved a lot of lives. But, enoughs enough.
You suggest in your subject heading, theone, that you believe you'll be attacked for your post. I won't attack you, but I do think your post betrays a level of confusion, or ignorance, or both. I'd implore you to read more about world poverty and how it's maintained.

I watched the famine in 1985, I sent my money and prayed for those suffering. I had nothing but sympathy for those affected. But now my symapthy has died. Remember those faces of toddlers with their ribs sticking out and the flies?
Your sympathy has died? Good grief.

Geldof and Co raised awareness of these problems and got us to help. Well done. But, Why 20 years on am I being asked to pay for the same problem? Too many people, not enough food!
As I've said previously, and Rheghead has also pointed out, you're not being asked for money. Most of us are more politically sophisticated than we were 20 years ago. Though a large amount of aid during their famine addressed the short-term issue of millions dying, we now know that merely throwing money at the problem won't fix it.

Can't you see that this is precisely why people are demonstrating? The governments of the world's richest and most powerful countries are able to do far more to reduce poverty in Africa than we are by putting money in a collection tin. The demonstrations have been arranged so that people can call for the G8 to do something which is well within their power – to drop the debilitating debt that is keeping Africa in shackles and to trade fairly.

Governments in the developed world have conspired to produce policies that keep the third world in poverty. Farmers in the EU and US are paid massive subsidies to grow crops that can be grown far more cheaply in Africa. The subsidies then mean that EU and US farmers can sell their produce more cheaply than African farmers. In our drive for the best bargains at the supermarket, we buy the cheapest goods, though we pay for EU products twice – once in the supermarket and once through the subsidies paid to the farmers.

The world doesn't have a food shortage. It has a food distribution problem. We have food mountains and food dumping to maintain the value of EU and US crops.

The truth about the power of supermarkets is even more horrific. If you read Not On The Label (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0141015667/qid=1118492660/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-2888837-3947866) by Felicity Lawrence, you'll discover that green beans grown in Kenya must meet the exacting standards of British supermarkets, because British customers expect their vegetables to be just perfect. Kenyan green beans must be 9.5cm in length and between 5 and 7.5cm in diameter. 35% of green beans don't meet that requirement. Instead of being returned to the farmer who could sell them to less demanding customers, they're dumped by the agents for our supermarkets. This in a country where people go hungry. It disgusts me. Are you happy to tolerate it?

That skinny 5 year old you sent your money to in '85 is now 25 and has 6 bairns. If your land cant feed you and your 2 sisters how in gods name do you expect it to feed you, your wife and six bairns 20 years later????
An attitude that is, and I hope you'll forgive me for pointing this out, reprehensible. That skinny 5 year old you sent your money to in '85 probably died. Even if he didn't, you're talking about a family who live off the land. They need enough hands to work the land. It's been shown that where the mortality rate is high, people have more babies. If they think their children will die, they'll have more children, for they need more hands to work the land. That, and contraception is either unavailable or the use of it is condemned (eg by the Catholic Church).

As I've already said, there isn't a food shortage. Governments conspire to dump food to keep prices acceptable.

I'm sorry to the people suffering, I really am. But as long as Bob Geldof keeps shouting for people to throw good money after bad as irresponsibly as he does I'll continue to think he's an idiot.
Perhaps you could find out more about what he's calling for before condemning him as an idiot? This isn't a call for money. Learn something about how rich countries' governments keep people starving and maybe you won't condemn the demonstrators either.

luskentyre
14-Jun-05, 01:05

Oh yes, lets look after our own and hang the rest eh? Where does it stop Doreen? Do we look after our street, or do we extend that to our town? Just because we're an island do our responsibilities end there?

At least Bob Geldof seeks attention for larger issues than himself.

Capt_D_Bradstreet
24-Jun-05, 06:16
Geldof rightfully or wrongfully criticised Ebay for allowing people (who claimed they can't get the time off work) to auction off their Live8 tickets, even going so far as calling them 'digital pimps'. In the same week and almost unnoticed from the media glare was the auctioning off of a signed first edition copy of Hitler's Mein Kampf in the most prestigious of all auctions, Sotherby's.

Does anyone also agree that it seems to be rather odd that Sotherby's allowed Nazi propaganda to go for £25,000 when a lucky Joe public was merely trying to make a quick buck on Ebay and they got all the condemnation?

mareng
24-Jun-05, 08:56
Geldof rightfully or wrongfully criticised Ebay for allowing people (who claimed they can't get the time off work) to auction off their Live8 tickets, even going so far as calling them 'digital pimps'. In the same week and almost unnoticed from the media glare was the auctioning off of a signed first edition copy of Hitler's Mein Kampf in the most prestigious of all auctions, Sotherby's.

Does anyone also agree that it seems to be rather odd that Sotherby's allowed Nazi propaganda to go for £25,000 when a lucky Joe public was merely trying to make a quick buck on Ebay and they got all the condemnation?

Nothing wrong with either in my mind. Once something is bought or won - it is up to the individual what he or she does with it. Extremely arrogant of Mr Gledof to decide otherwise. His method of using public pressure to halt the auctions didn't allow for opposing opinion to counter it.

As far as the aucion of Mein Kampf goes - It's not like the proceeds of the auction are going to Adolf.

frank ward
27-Jun-05, 10:38
The buses from Inverness to Edinburgh this Saturday are full, though there may still be some private transport available.

There is also transport to the demo at Gleneagles on Wednesday 6th July. The police, acting on political instructions, are still seeking to disrupt and divert this demonstration but G8Alternatives (organisers) are equally determined to circumvent any attempts made by the authorities to stifle protests.

Phone 01862 811233 for transport to Gleneagles. You may have to walk a mile or two from the vehicle.

Rubha_an_Tuir
01-Jul-05, 14:29
Sure E-Bay can pull them or simple folk can hike up the price to £10,000,000 or whatever, but all the touts are doing is leaving e-mail addresses or mobile numbers to cut e-bay out of the sale anyway.
Now, who thinks there might be a spot of bother in Edinburgh tomorrow???

The Pepsi Challenge
01-Jul-05, 15:18
I'm hoping it's just hype. And the police have turned my area into a two-mile island. I'm not allowed to even ride a bike into town for work on Wednesday. Still, I should be walking and getting the exercise.

Yeah, though, Edinburgh's main business's on Princes Street have boarded up their premises. My good friends who own the Fudge House and Tavio's Ice Cream parlour on the Royal Mile have taken the advice of police and decided to shut their shop for a week, at considerable expense to their business.

We all hope it's for nothing. But a quick plug. Our alt-country band, Gnome And The Volcano are playing a G8 show at the Roxy Art House this Monday coming. We're onstage at 8pm. Any ex-pats feel free to come down... if you can that is.

caithnessgirl
02-Jul-05, 11:06
QUOTE doreenhedgehog"-

Couldn't agree more! if they want to sort something out try doing it in tis country, FOR this country! The NHS is one of the first that should be on the list! This country is needin just as much help, but apparently we dont matter so much!
Im sick of hearing about all this live8!!!! [mad]

Drutt
02-Jul-05, 20:58
This country is needin just as much help, but apparently we dont matter so much!
Oh? 30,000 children dying every day in the UK are there? Or Europe even? No? Thought not.

golach
03-Jul-05, 20:01
Well I have to say I was there!!!!......as a spectator in Princes Street, not a marcher, but the atmosphere was fantastic, Well done the Organisers,Well done the marchers, I am normally a bit of a cynic as far as these type of demonstrations are concerned...but I admit I was proud to have been there, as was my wife and all the spectators I spoke too.
Sorry we did not meet Gleeber....or DrSzin maybe another time soon.....never saw any of the SSP [lol]

Drutt
03-Jul-05, 20:23
As a marcher, I guess I'd better keep my sentiments about the gawping shoppers on Princes Street to myself.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1788/weareopen6fb.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

golach
03-Jul-05, 23:37
Drutt,
as a Scrabster loon married till a Leither...we thought this is what ye Caithnessians thought a shopping street look like...so we showed ye!!!....I niver saw ye as weel

gleeber
04-Jul-05, 00:13
Well I have to say I was there!!!!......as a spectator in Princes Street, not a marcher, but the atmosphere was fantastic, Well done the Organisers,Well done the marchers, I am normally a bit of a cynic as far as these type of demonstrations are concerned...but I admit I was proud to have been there, as was my wife and all the spectators I spoke too.
Sorry we did not meet Gleeber....or DrSzin maybe another time soon.....never saw any of the SSP [lol]

Weel meet again ma man. Maybe Stroma :D
As for the SSP. They were out in force up at the meadows. There were socialists everywhere. They were the only ones I saw selling papers. Everyone else was giving them away. Im sure I saw Frank there with a bundle in his oxter. ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Jul-05, 14:15
Was there, too. And although I enjoyed it I'm almost deaf thanks to all the incessant whistling of whistles. Didn't meet Szin thanks to leaving my phone in the hoose - maybe there was some Freudian explanation.

This morning Edinburgh City Council informed me I'll have to carry proof of my address - and my identity - while the concert in Murrayfield stadium is on on Wedensday. Why? Because my road is within a "soft" ticket inspection area. I'm covering an event in the city centre that night, so just let them try and stop me getting home. What next? Will I have to ask their permission to put the kettle on?

hereboy
04-Jul-05, 18:15
Aha…so what is it all about - I have heard and read plenty about the three pronged attack of Make Poverty History.

Increase Aid
Cancel Debt
Fair Trade

Increase Aid, yeah OK but how is that aid being used? Even Geldof and Co talk about the need for a new transparency in African Governments which their people must demand. Is this not the same as imposing conditions to aid and loans which is the very thing that Geldof and Co are also decrying?

Cancel Debt, why bother, why not just ignore it like the US does, once it becomes big enough if you close your eyes it just becomes irrelevant.

Fair Trade, OK what to do? If you change one part of a system it affects all parts of a system and there has to be a shift to a new equilibrium. This new equilibrium will make the rich countries slightly less rich ( not poor) but, the people in some of those countries are already ethnocentric and live under the illusion that everyone else is trying to undermine their god given right to wealth and a continually increasing not declining standard of living. People like that are not going to be too enthusiastic about lowering their standard of living due to the removal of subsidies… regardless of the impact on anyone else around the world.

There are a few people on this forum who are taking the view that Fair Trade is the solution. But, and it’s a big but, the problem that these people have is defining exactly what Fair Trade is, how it would work and what the ultimate outcome would be for all parties. This is the challenge that the G8 folks have. To make it workable. Fair Trade is a nice soundbite, but what does it look like? No one here has offered a specific solution. And you know what they say about those who aren’t part of the solution.

However, there is a solution…. And it means taking a long look at the problem, not just jumping on what appear to be the immediate answers. Eisenhower said something along the lines of "if you can't find the solution to a problem, enlarge it".

Einstein said “No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it." So we need to change our thinking and go beyond debt and fair trade, we need new systems to address the problems of a global community…. This is the real challenge the G8 face. Plus its a bit arrogant to fix a continents problems without even having representives of those nations around the same table. That might be a little bit important....

Time for paradigm shift and some new thinking…. This takes imagination and not a reworking of problems framed by existing boundaries. People need to come up with some new ways of thinking that make the old ways of thinking obsolete. We need to use our imagination and ask some pretty challenging questions to arrive at better solutions.

As Mark Twain said "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."

Geldof and Co's imaginations need bifocals.

PS. Check this out.... from Yahoo news.

Fire up the grill, it's time to celebrate American independence. And like most celebrations, this one's going to cost. Between the sparklers, the picnic items and the patriotic garb, the wallets will likely take a hit this holiday weekend. In fact, barbecues and fireworks alone will set America back $2.3 billion this Independence Day.

Eighty-eight percent of consumers will celebrate the Fourth this year, up from 85% in 2004, according to the National Retail Federation. A full 78 million Americans are expected to watch a live fireworks demonstration this weekend, and 17 million patriotic citizens will attend a Fourth of July parade.