PDA

View Full Version : Media Madness

NickInTheNorth
17-May-07, 11:26
Just listening to BBC News 24, and the stupid woman that is the main face down in Portugal has just admitted that some of what they are reporting may just be "rumour and conjecture picked up in the local towns and villages"

scotsboy
17-May-07, 12:27
At least they qualified the fact! Which is not always the case. There is a lot of "interesting" stuff on some crime blogs relating to this case - interesting that the search of the chief suspects mothers house was reported on one blog a good 10 hours before the media became aware of it - also some interesting speculation about those who have so far been questioned.......but it is just speculation, and some of it is so debase that I would not even bother to repeat it on such an erudite forum (I would probably get banned if i did anyway).

NickInTheNorth
17-May-07, 12:38
Certainly they qualified the fact, after having reported much of it without such a declaration for 2 weeks :)

changilass
17-May-07, 12:50
How many folk believe all that is reported anyway, there are always 2 sides to every story, its the ones that get paid for giving their side without considering others that get on my nerves.

scotsboy
17-May-07, 13:02
How many folk believe all that is reported anyway, there are always 2 sides to every story, its the ones that get paid for giving their side without considering others that get on my nerves.

......and sometime more than 2;)

scorrie
17-May-07, 13:26
How many folk believe all that is reported anyway,

Rather worryingly, quite a few!!

Remember the Charles de Menezez Killing? Plenty of people on this forum were defending his killing after lapping up all the Police bullplop about him wearing a heavy winter coat and leaping ticket barriers. As we now know, he wore a light denim jacket and calmly walked through the barriers.

In my experience, people are quick enough to run with the first thing reported as being gospel!!

scotsboy
17-May-07, 13:30
Rather worryingly, quite a few!!

Remember the Charles de Menezez Killing? Plenty of people on this forum were defending his killing after lapping up all the Police bullplop about him wearing a heavy winter coat and leaping ticket barriers. As we now know, he wore a light denim jacket and calmly walked through the barriers.

In my experience, people are quick enough to run with the first thing reported as being gospel!!

Regarding the Menezez case, have the Police ever come out and said it was a case of mistaken identity? I recall at the time there was a striking resemblence of Menezez to one of the bomb suspects.

scorrie
17-May-07, 15:51
Regarding the Menezez case, have the Police ever come out and said it was a case of mistaken identity? I recall at the time there was a striking resemblence of Menezez to one of the bomb suspects.

Striking resemblence?

Check this out:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/uk/05/london_blasts/tube_shooting/img/menezes_osman_203.jpg

Two peas in a pod eh?

j4bberw0ck
17-May-07, 16:19

If you mean that there should be some giving of the benefit of the doubt while all the facts are established, then there are many good examples of this not happening in a couple of current threads. Judges, jury and executioners, all as clueless as one another. :lol:

BTW, Menezes was reported as being in a Puffa jacket, wasn't he? Or was it a Buddhist monk's robe? Or head-to-toe Burberry?

Rheghead
17-May-07, 17:01
I'm afraid that 'rumour and conjecture' is a consequence of 24 news coverage. Anything less would be even more boring and repetitive to watch.

It must be a real shock for the UK's news media to deal with Portugal's police force. A lesson for our own police, I think.

golach
17-May-07, 19:42
I see no mention in CCWS message boards of BBC reporter Alan Johnston, missing since 12 March. He is Scottish too, just doing a job, but the Media have the instant attention getter a 4 year old lassie, lets have some sympathy for him and his family.

Ash
17-May-07, 20:00
i dont get how everyone is slating the fact that this little girl is receiving loads of media attention, her family are making sure its stays in the media.... they have every right to! look at all other missing kids, sara payne, soham, milly, these were all publicised, no one complained then.....i feel for people who's children are abducted,if you want it to stay top news you need to do the work yourself, like maddies family are! she isnt all the news are talking about!

Angela
17-May-07, 20:04
I see no mention in CCWS message boards of BBC reporter Alan Johnston, missing since 12 March. He is Scottish too, just doing a job, but the Media have the instant attention getter a 4 year old lassie, lets have some sympathy for him and his family.

I do so agree golach, there was a piece on the news about Alan Johnston earlier this evening. His father was speaking, as it's Alans 45th birthday, which the family are trying to "celebrate" in his absence, in the hope that he's still alive.

I do think about Alan Johnston quite a lot in fact!

scotsboy
17-May-07, 20:09
Striking resemblence?

Check this out:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/uk/05/london_blasts/tube_shooting/img/menezes_osman_203.jpg

Two peas in a pod eh?

Certainly don't appear to look alike there - I do recall at the time seeing pictures which did give a resemblence..........just as well I never had the gun in my hand!!!

scorrie
17-May-07, 20:32
Certainly don't appear to look alike there - I do recall at the time seeing pictures which did give a resemblence..........just as well I never had the gun in my hand!!!

If Menezes had been British and White it would have caused a much greater uproar. Foreigners all look the same to us Brits!!

scotsboy
17-May-07, 20:41
If Menezes had been British and White it would have caused a much greater uproar. Foreigners all look the same to us Brits!!

So true.........big problem for me out here as well:)