PDA

View Full Version : School Fees

Ash
16-May-07, 16:45
hello everyone....my little girl is 3, she is in playschool but its costing me a fortune, does anyone else feel that the cost of nusery/playschool is sky high

changilass
16-May-07, 16:56
I put my wee boy to playgroup and they gave me a form to fill in, as I was informed kids get government funded placements. So all I pay is a small amout per day for his snack.

I think it might be worth checking with your group about funded places.

Ash
16-May-07, 17:08
she gets funded in august

brandy
16-May-07, 17:12
then she should only pay about 2 pound a week then , thats how much we pay for sam.

Ash
16-May-07, 17:14
just now its £3.50 a day and £3.00 for optional day care on top of that, which is only an hour and u have to bring a packed lunch

she loves it tho

marlyn
16-May-07, 22:52
Hi Ash

I know that it is expensive, but when you think of their over heads etc then it really is quite good value for money, I know when my daughter was in nursery before she was funded I just tried to think of it as 'cheap' childminding, and for the pleasure and enjoyment that she got it was worth it - she loved it too (so did I though!!).

bobsgirl
17-May-07, 18:27
Hi Ash,
Not sure where your little one goes but when our daughter went to Barrock Street Nursery it was £2.50 for the session then £2.50 for the lunch break. It all depends on when they turned 3 whether they are funded or not. Usually it goes from term to term.
We found that it was well worth the money though!! The staff are great with the kids.

Bill Fernie
17-May-07, 19:53
Child Benefit was increased some years ago precisely to help with the cost of childcare. Currently Child Benefit is at the rate of £18.10 per week See http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/cb-key.htm.

The working Families Tax Credit was introduced in 1998 to help families cover just such problems - See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/events/budget_98/budget_news/66583.stm

Whilst costs are always changing in the past it was worse.

Of course everyone uses money in different ways but the Child Benefit does already contain an elemnt to assit with child care. I am assuming that you (Ash) are in receipt of child benefit.

Are you entitled to Working Tax Credits that comes under Surestart?
See http://www.surestart.gov.uk/surestartservices/support/helpwithchildcarecosts/childtaxcredit/

It is always worth checking to see that you have not missed out on any allowances that might help with childcare etc.

Ash
17-May-07, 19:55
hey, she goes to barrock street, i like the school although sometimes she comes home in abit of a mess:confused

engiebenjy
17-May-07, 21:38
My wee one goes to Barrock St too. Before she qualified for a funded place we had to pay. £2.50 per session, but I know they've put it up this year. I had to limit the number of days we put her in. I think we stuck to Mon, Wed and Friday. And the mess. I remember the day they gave the youngest class tomato soup Lol!! Last week they were planting runner beans. I think they were using my daughter to dig the holes!! They are all really good though, staff are lovely, and none of the cliquiness (sp) that there is at some of the other nurseries.

sharon
17-May-07, 22:08
before my daughter was funded i was paying £65 per month for playgroup fees, as she goes 5 days, she also goes to barrock street and loves it! :lol:

Ash
18-May-07, 09:34
hey.... i love the school and so does she... i paid £65 the other day and she hadnt been everyday, then i got a £12.50 bill for the next snack fee:roll:

SEB
19-May-07, 00:39
hey, she goes to barrock street, i like the school although sometimes she comes home in abit of a mess:confused

You do have the option of waiting until your child qualifies for a funded place, ie this starts the term after their third birthday, so it's really a parent's personal choice if they choose to put their child earlier than this and pay the fees.
As for "coming home in a bit of a mess" - that's what pre-school is all about - giving children the opportunity to play and experiment freely, so would recommend not sending them in their "sunday best"!!!

Ash
19-May-07, 10:07
i know its my choice... i would hate not to put her... i was just saying!!! goodness sake this site is full of people looking for arguments... and as for being in a mess there is a different in a wee bit of paint to being absoultely covered in it!

Spirit
21-May-07, 20:31
My daughter started nursery for a few hours a week recently and I made enquiries with the tax credit folk. I wasn't eligible but they advised that they would pay 80% of childcare cost (nursery or childminder, as long as registered) if working 16 hours or more per week. If making a joint claim both partners should be working 16 hours or more and I understood that they would backdate to when they started nursery.
My daughter only goes to nursery for 3 hours per week which cost £7 but I think it is well worth the money

Cattach
22-May-07, 15:31
hello everyone....my little girl is 3, she is in playschool but its costing me a fortune, does anyone else feel that the cost of nusery/playschool is sky high

No!!! It costs a lot to look after other peoples kids.

Ash
05-Jun-07, 13:47
just found out i was infact bein over charged she wasnt going full 5 days but i was paying for the snacks for the full 5 days!! this months bill was alot less!!!:D