PDA

View Full Version : Patagonia Farming

tenabowla
12-May-07, 07:16
I am looking into the death of a great uncle who originated from Durness but it seems died at the age of 25 in 1904 in Durness as a result of a horse riding accident shepherding in Patagonia. Was there a trend for farmers in the 1890s to go to work in south america? Was there money to be made?

It was common enough to see people emigrating to Australia,Canada and north America but I was not previously aware of Patagonia. (its roughly on the same latitude as the Falkland islands, maybe there is a connection there)

Torvaig
12-May-07, 08:41
There was a trend for farmers/shepherds to emigrate to Patagonia and the Falklands. The terrain is similar to the North of Scotland and the Hebrides and although some only worked for others, there were a few who went on to acquire their own farms or smallholdings.

Try this link for more information.
http://www.electricscotland.com/history/argentina/patchap1.htm
There are lists of names involved in the emigrations and may help you to trace your relative's travels.

I had a great uncle who emigrated with his wife to the Falklands. He was a shepherd and we have photos of Great Auntie Ittie on horseback wrapped in furs to keep her warm! I only wish I had talked to them about their adventures before they died but I was young and not very interested in details at the time although fascinated by the photographs.

In fact, someone involved in making a programme for the BBC relating to this subject borrowed some of our photos; I must check that we got them back; thanks for reminding me!

Rosemary Skea
13-May-07, 01:30
There was also a migration of people from Wales to Patagonia in the mid 1800's. If you "Google" Scots in PAtagonia you will find quite a lot of info.

Rosemary

tenabowla
15-May-07, 17:11
Thanks Torvaig and Rosemary, I will get in and have a search it is quite amazing that people actually travelled so far for a new life all of those years ago. I suspect there were probably quite a few victims similar to my relative during those times, health and safety were hardly a consideration in those days, but I suppose the way that the farmers were being treated in Scotland it must have seemed quite appealing to try a new life so far away.

Thanks again.