PDA

View Full Version : any mechanical geniuses on here

NickInTheNorth
10-May-07, 08:26
diesel engine problem, ford 2.5L non-turbo

Well here is what's happening.

Friday we get into our ten year old ford transit mini-bus, start up no problem drive about half a mile, changing up from 2nd to 3rd gear loud rattle from somewhere towards the front of the vehicle. Lasts maybe a second. Then a huge cloud of black smoke, that lasted about 2 to 3 seconds, and then we pumped out white smoke for the next 30 seconds or so until we stopped. Stopped got out, nothing obviously amiss that I could see, no bits in the road, no obvious leeks anywhere. Start up again, engine sounds sweet as ever, no knocks or rattles anywhere.

So I decided we would carry on.

We travelled about a 1000 miles over the weekend with no further problems at all.

Arrived home Monday evening, the bus then sat until wednesday at about 3.00pm, when Jill went out and had an exact repeat of Friday. She came back in all of a panic to say what had happened so I went out with her and we drove 20 miles down the road. There was occassionaly a slight trace of white smoke, usually when changing down a gear going up hill.

Over to you guys, any thoughts? (Either possible solutions or good websites to ask the question on?)

gleeber
10-May-07, 08:43
I'm not a mechanical genuis but I had a similar problem with a van only last week.
Theres a valve attached to the throttle directly connected to the air box. In my case the valve was coming off and as well as the clouds of smoke I lost power.
Could it be that your valve (diaphram thingy)is sticking?

NickInTheNorth
10-May-07, 08:49
it's certainly a possibility. I shall take a look see. Many thanks.

Any other input gratefully received.

cuddlepop
10-May-07, 09:41
Mr Cp suggests it could be head gasket failure,white smoke could actually be steam.

thinking early stage of head gasket failure.

Is temp guage ok? Watch it like a hawk,
Has oil level risen/dropped?
Has water level risen/dropped?
Is there a smell of exhaust fumes from the radiator (make sure its cold when you take cap off)?

Had a Volvo with similar symptoms.

This can manifest itself in so many ways, not always the traditional oil/water mixing.

Hope I'm wrong but a pressure test at the local garage should confirm. Could be other silly things, such as hoses leaking, dirty filters etc but I have a feeling...

NickInTheNorth
10-May-07, 09:47
Thanks Cuddlepop and Mr cp

temp is fine, and oil is fine too. I'll check the water levels, and the radiator.

I would not be too surprised at head gasket failure :(

Fairly certain it isn't steam, quite a diesel whiff in the smoke?

I'll be taking a good look at everything this afternoon after my child minding duties are over for the day...

DRM
10-May-07, 16:54
Try changing the fuel filter sounds like its dirty and got water in it

EDDIE
10-May-07, 17:24
diesel engine problem, ford 2.5L non-turbo

Well here is what's happening.

Friday we get into our ten year old ford transit mini-bus, start up no problem drive about half a mile, changing up from 2nd to 3rd gear loud rattle from somewhere towards the front of the vehicle. Lasts maybe a second. Then a huge cloud of black smoke, that lasted about 2 to 3 seconds, and then we pumped out white smoke for the next 30 seconds or so until we stopped. Stopped got out, nothing obviously amiss that I could see, no bits in the road, no obvious leeks anywhere. Start up again, engine sounds sweet as ever, no knocks or rattles anywhere.

So I decided we would carry on.

We travelled about a 1000 miles over the weekend with no further problems at all.

Arrived home Monday evening, the bus then sat until wednesday at about 3.00pm, when Jill went out and had an exact repeat of Friday. She came back in all of a panic to say what had happened so I went out with her and we drove 20 miles down the road. There was occassionaly a slight trace of white smoke, usually when changing down a gear going up hill.

Over to you guys, any thoughts? (Either possible solutions or good websites to ask the question on?)

If there is a rattle at a certain speed underneath its a fair chance it might be your propshaft out of balance thats a common problem with propshafts when they get older if thats its nothing worth worrying about more annoying thats all but if i was u i would check the wheel nuts make sure there tight and also check to make sure wheel bearings to make sure they havent got a lot of play or noisy and check all the pulleys on the engine for play or even maybey the exhaust rubbers are worn

stratman
10-May-07, 20:15
Sounds like the cold start linkage on the side of the injector pump is kaput

NickInTheNorth
10-May-07, 20:19
well still not had chance to get out and look dearest wife has been busy all day. So tomorrow afternoon I'll be doing some investigating - haynes in hand :)

Many thanks for all the suggestions, feel free to post if there are any more.

mums angels
10-May-07, 21:22
hubby (mechanic) says start with the cheapest and easiest option and replace oil and filters including air filter. Check engine breather for oil or stem coming out of it.

barring that he agrees might be head gaskett ...then sell motor :D

is smoke from exaust or under belly of car ...??
Do you have climate control , if you do it could be diesel heater !!

johno
10-May-07, 21:57
get a mechanic to actually check it out. there are to many possibillity,s.& symptoms that closely match to be making assumptions

NickInTheNorth
12-May-07, 11:14
pressure testing was good :)

Going to drain fuel filter, air filter is fine. Need to change oil filter and oil.

Then see what happens next time we start her up.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

stratman
12-May-07, 22:20
Keep us posted Nanook.

NickInTheNorth
12-May-07, 22:26
lol, will do

Maybe I should explain the name - it has been with me now since 1994, back when the internet in the UK at least was very much a novelty. I had been using developing internet and web applications for a couple of years in London when I moved back to Leeds. At that time that to most of my friends seemed to be very far north. The name stuck.

It is therefore a very good feeling to be moving at last to a very much northern part of the UK

stratman
26-May-07, 20:24
Did you ever resolve the problem? Thanks for the name info by the way.

NickInTheNorth
26-May-07, 20:30
I haven't managed a definitive answer. The pressure test was ok. When I drive it there is no problem. When my wife drives it happens sometimes.

Given the problems we have getting to a decent garage I am operating on the principle of hoping for the best :)

I've done all the routine service items, filters, fluids etc, so on Friday we'll be heading north with our fingers crossed. And our AA membership card to hand.

Once we get up to Thurso safely I'll be looking for a good friendly local garage/mechanic to take a look. Any recommendations?

Carol Robinson
26-May-07, 21:09
Hi... just a thought.. my hubby wonders if you have an injector locking ie. not giving the right spray pattern when it's supposed to! If you've had a new fuel filter you could try this product... www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/diesel-fuel-treatment.php as it really cleans you fuel system and boosts cetane and improves mpg. By the way....This is not a sales pitch, we have used this product for around 15 years and are happy to recommend it! If you still have problems with an injector, it's best left to an expert to test injectors for you. Good luck!!

j4bberw0ck
26-May-07, 23:26
Based on my several years experience with a 2.5 TD Land Rover, including rebuilding the engine a couple of times and getting it rebored, I'd suggest these things:

1. Replace the injectors and glowplugs with reconditioned ones
2. Replace the fuel filter
3. Take the fuel tank off and tip it out to get rid of water condensed in the base and potentially building up to the point where it can get into the fuel pickup pipe (but DO run it down to empty-ish first :lol: )
4. Check (or get someone to check) the fuel pump and injector timing.

Apart from those things, all there really is in a diesel engine is the block, the head, and the bits attached to the pistons. If it was any of those things going wrong you'd expect black sooty smoke.

stratman
27-May-07, 00:06
jabberwock if it is the landrover 2.5 turbo the only option is replace the engine

j4bberw0ck
27-May-07, 08:41
:lol::lol: Yes, it was indeed the pre 200TD "Look we bored it out from a 1500cc petrol engine and stuck a big turbo on it" engine. Eventually I got fed up of chasing it with spanners in one hand and cash in the other and got rid of the vehicle. Still have a lingering fondness for them, though......

Must pull myself together.

saxovtr
27-May-07, 14:04
sounds like a hydraulic lifter/prop shaft/valve would need to take a look to be sure