PDA

View Full Version : Tesco's petrol

fuzz24
09-May-07, 13:12
Whats going on with Tesco's? They came up here with the promise of cheaper fuel and yet i see last night its up by two pence to 95.9 i am sorry but i think thats wrong i've seen Tesco's ,even as close as Inverness with cheaper i don't think it fair how they can increase it like that we all looked forward to them coming up with the petrol forcourt becuase it's genarally cheaper and open 24 hours which we needed up here but its expencive enough to run a car up here north with out them putting more burden on the car users. I'm a disabled driver who is on state benifets so like i said its hard anyway to budget for a car! Nevermind what the other stations are doing in town i think we (ALL THE ONES THAT REALLY NEED A CAR) should be able to rely on one place in town that makes our cars affordable, I'm i the only one!?!

jaykay
09-May-07, 13:25
Unfortunately unless Tesco get some serious competition up here they will be able to charge what they like for their fuel. Therefore the quicker we can get another major supermarket in Caithness the better as far as prices are concerned.

Rheghead
09-May-07, 13:26
Petrol is £1.05 in Reay, sounds like Tesco is keeping prices down to me.

emszxr
09-May-07, 13:27
it cant stay the same price continually. try paying 99.9p a litre.

Geo
09-May-07, 13:29
Petrol prices often vary from day to day. I think Tesco say they will be a cheaper than the current cheapest in the local area, I believe by 1p a litre. They do not have a national pricing policy. However I went to Elgin 10 days ago and just got enough petrol in Tesco to get me to Inverness, thinking I would fill up cheaper there. Guess what? Of the petrol stations I saw Tesco in Wick was cheaper than Inverness and Elgin. Grrrrrrrr :)

changilass
09-May-07, 13:39
Tesco DO have a national price policy. The policy is that they will not be beaten on price within a 3 mile radius, (not they they will be cheeper ), this has been their policy for donkeys years.

Having Asda in Thurso may make a difference in the short term but, both stores will end up with roughly the same price when they realise that folks up here are willing to travel a few extra miles if they can get their fuel cheaper.

brandy
09-May-07, 14:17
ummm.. tesco's is still the cheapest in wick.
theres a couple that is insane in their prices, and one in particular who is about 6p dearer than everyone else!

Geo
09-May-07, 14:42
Tesco DO have a national price policy. The policy is that they will not be beaten on price within a 3 mile radius, (not they they will be cheeper ), this has been their policy for donkeys years.

That's what I said/meant. What they don't have is a national pricing policy whereby their price is the same from one end of the country to the other.

rfr10
09-May-07, 16:48
You should see some of the prices they're charging in Thurso! Tell me.. right.. Tesco is cheapest, yea? so why do lots of people still go to the more expensive places. I notice that Dunnet's in Wick are usually about the same price as Tesco but most of the others charge a fortune but cars still go there which I find a bit strange.. Why?

On the topic of cars.. well.. petrol.. cars.. same thing.. :S.. Can I just say how extremely annoying it is to see the amount of cars that come from the North into Wick, ignoring the BRIGHT YELLOW diversion signs. Car after car go past. Also, there is a diversion sign near DE Shoe shop pointing to the LEFT. Noticed today, ordinary cars followed the signs to the left.. then guess what? a TAXI (surprise surprise) ignored the sign AND the fact that the traffic lights were stopping the cars from going in the direction it was going and.. off it went. Irrisponsible or blind? If you can't see the signs then people shouldn't be driving. I also noticed that cars actually come down Kirk Hill and turn left into the town centre, now surley if they were on the diversion route already, they could just follow it. It's ridiculous.

LENSMAN
09-May-07, 16:54
Can you imagine the price we would be paying if Tescos wasn't there?

Doolally
09-May-07, 17:41
Tesco was a penny a litre cheaper than Inverness last Sunday so I guess the prices are pretty good!

connieb19
09-May-07, 18:21
People seem to forget that before Tesco came here the fuel was over a £1.

rfr10
09-May-07, 18:34
People seem to forget that before Tesco came here the fuel was over a £1.

exactly.. now it's in its 90's, people are still not happy.
I never actually see a rush of cars up at Tesco buying petrol anyway. I always seem to see cars crowding in at the dearer pumps for some reason as I've said before. Maybe it's just the time of day.

moshmosh
09-May-07, 19:23
If Wick Tesco is 95.9 then they're only two pence more expensive than Morrisons here in Aberdeen who were 93.9 last night when I filled up, Asda and Sainsburys were 92.9 last time I checked.

WЄЄKЄŔ
09-May-07, 19:33
Well i've seen alot worse.:)

Tony
09-May-07, 23:16
[QUOTE][Can you imagine the price we would be paying if Tescos wasn't there?/QUOTE]

Station : Tesco Wick Airport, A99, Wick
Brand : Tesco
Distance: 0.61 miles
Price : 93.9p
Updated : 08-05-2007
---------------------------
Station : Dunnets Wick, Francis Street, Wick
Brand : Shell
Distance: 0.31 miles
Price : 94p
Updated : 05-05-2007
Station : Elm Tree Filling Station, George Street, Wick
Brand : Gleaner
Distance: 0.45 miles
Price : 96.9p
Updated : 07-05-2007
Station : Richards Garage, Francis Street, Wick
Brand : Scottish Fuels
Distance: 0.41 miles
Price : 97.9p
Updated : 08-05-2007

---------------------------------------------
Station : Richards, Ormlie Road, Thurso
Brand : Scottish Fuels
Distance: 0.5 miles
Price : 99.9p
Updated : 03-05-2007
Station : Pennyland Service Station, Scrabster Road, Thurso
Brand : Esso
Distance: 1 miles
Updated : 06-05-2007
Station : Bridgend Filling Station, Bridgend, Thurso
Brand : Unbranded
Distance: 1.86 miles
Updated : 06-05-2007
I seem to recall (before the threat and eventual arrival of Tesco) that when the subject of fuel pricing was mentioned for the Highlands the excuses were that distribution/transportation costs were the reason for such high pricing.
If this was the case then fuel companies/garages can't now use this excuse due to the short distance between Thurso and Wick including other village forecourts with such variations in price. Although prices may have changed since above you will notice Thurso garages are all the same high price.
It's time our new MSP's challenged fuel companies to bring fairer fuel prices to the Highlands.
Incidentally the above data was supplied by www.petrolprices.com (http://www.petrolprices.com) and by registering you can check prices anywhere and can obtain regular updates if desired. It is all free.

Tristan
09-May-07, 23:57
which seems to be inline with Inverness and the average (not the lowest) price in Edinburgh.

Geo
10-May-07, 11:43
Don't forget to use your clubcard when filling up.

Btw always check the Tesco magazine for clubcard offers as you get 4 times their value with the offers, compared to using them for shopping.

veekay
24-May-07, 18:38
Is anyone out there able to tell me why the price of petrol has suddenly shot up again. It went from 95.9 to 99.9 and is now 102.9.

concerned resident
24-May-07, 20:18
It appears to be mostly the Thurso end, can only sugest they are trying to rip off the people on holiday, going to Orkney. You may have also noticed that all the petrol Stations in Thurso do not have there prices advertised on the road side boards now, you have to drive in before you know what the price is. New legislation, they do not have to show prices, except at the pumps. I will continue to fill my tank in Wick every time i go there.

horseman
24-May-07, 20:52
Is anyone out there able to tell me why the price of petrol has suddenly shot up again. It went from 95.9 to 99.9 and is now 102.9.

That's a bit bad that. Sounds like sheer profiteering, course we should know the world runs on that! But glad it 'aint that bad down here.

Solus
24-May-07, 21:09
creeping up down here in Aberdeen also, 97.9 now at BP, :confused

rfr10
24-May-07, 21:42
Wick is better than Thursoooo :P

Don't buy petrol in Thurso, come to Wick. It will save you a lot of money even with the distance traveled.

wings
24-May-07, 21:48
dunnets in wick is 97.9 2day.

rockchick
24-May-07, 23:19
Bank holiday weekend? Possible connection???? (surely not...)

Jeemag_USA
24-May-07, 23:25
Gas prices are up all over the USA too, in fact its the highest ever in recorded history, $3.59 a gallon I saw it today, not sure of its like this in the UK but whenever there is a holiday or a large event here they hike the prices up and blame it on something silly but they are really just cashing in on an influx of people to the city. I have never been anywhere else in the world where prices can drop $0.10 one day and rise $0.30 the next?? Bizarre. There is always some bogus excuse about having to pay more for the barrel yet at the end of the year the oil companies like BP, Shell, Texaco, Marathon, etc are always boasting of record profits, I always thought that if we pay more in relation to you paying more then the profits shoudl be consistent, not so it seems [lol] They are all a bunch of crooks and the governments behind them.

gollach
25-May-07, 00:29
Don't buy petrol in Thurso, come to Wick. It will save you a lot of money even with the distance traveled.

Robin,

are you going to show your working for that calculation?

Skerries
25-May-07, 11:21
You may have also noticed that all the petrol Stations in Thurso do not have there prices advertised on the road side boards now, you have to drive in before you know what the price is.

You do have to drive in but I would drive right out again and go to Wick!

rfr10
25-May-07, 11:23
Robin,

Erm...:confused ... naaa :D

Spirit
25-May-07, 11:47
Several weeks ago I spoke to the owner in Richards Garage in Thurso and he was saying things from him has been getting really bad and was talking about shutting the wick pumps because he was not selling enough to even cover the wages of the pump attendants. Things are a little better for him in Thurso (less competition I expect). He had recently been to a meeting that had announced that petrol prices would reach over a pound by the end of the year (talking about an average through central scotland). At the time he had just put the price up to 97.9p. It seemed like the price increased by 1p each week for several weeks there and now has reached 102.9p. If central scotland's average is going to be over a pound by the end of the year, caithness (or more specifically, Thurso) will be paying more like £1.50. I was shocked yesterday when I pulled into the petrol station to see the price at the pump. It's also a disgrace that no one is displaying their prices.

Skerries
25-May-07, 12:14
Several weeks ago I spoke to the owner in Richards Garage in Thurso and he was saying things from him has been getting really bad and was talking about shutting the wick pumps because he was not selling enough to even cover the wages of the pump attendants.

I doubt that sacking the low paid pump attendants would help the 'poor' garage owners. They could always sell off a flash car or two, or some property to help provide their 'public service' of selling petrol to the masses at such a bargain price. ;)

rangers1873
25-May-07, 12:51
the reason for richards(wick) not selling there petrol is because they have always been 2-3p a litre dearer than tesco,mowats and dunnets garage, they have never tryed to match the other 3.where would you rather get yours from.

golach
25-May-07, 15:23
93.9 for both Unleaded and Diesel at Asda and Morrisons in Edinburgh today

dozy
25-May-07, 15:50
Pennyland filling Station today..super unleaded 105.9 ..Diesel 100.9....crazy or what.....

Fran
26-May-07, 01:09
At Asda in elgin this afternoon it was 95.9 but only 94.5 at Morrisons in Peterhead.

Cattach
26-May-07, 07:41
Robin,

No need to show the working. I have not bought petrol in Thurso for a year. The cost difference in filling a tank in Wick rather than Thurso is very significant but of course there is the principle involved too.

As for showing prices I never bought from Bamber becuase he did not show his prices except on the pumps. The cartel has clearly now decided this is a good new law where we will not show prices and have all together removed the price boards. It tells one a lot about the people who run those garages and their respect or lack of respect for their customers.

veekay
26-May-07, 11:27
. The cartel has clearly now decided this is a good new law where we will not show prices and have all together removed the price boards. It tells one a lot about the people who run those garages and their respect or lack of respect for their customers.

Really Cattach there is no cartel everyone who has ever looked into the pricing of petrol up here says that. Yeh right how come we all no about it but nobody who can do anything about it will admit that it exists.

theone
26-May-07, 12:58
93.9 for both Unleaded and Diesel at Asda and Morrisons in Edinburgh today

Edinburgh 93.9p. Caithness 102.9. Thats 9p a litre.

An articulated tanker can carry up to 43000 litres.

Drive 300 miles to Edinburgh, pop down to Morrisions and fill it up.

43000 litres = £40377

Come back to Caithness, sell the petrol.

43000 litres = 44247

Thats a £3087 markup. Anyone want to start a haulage business?

Mizpah
26-May-07, 14:19
Petrol at Tescos in Wick is 95.9 and Thurso has been quoted at 105.9 there is a big rip off somewhere, am sorry for the folks in Thurso.

veekay
26-May-07, 16:51
Took all the advise and went to Tesco today. The petrol cost me a fortune - well I had to shop as well didn't I!!

christina
26-May-07, 18:47
dry your eyes peeps if ur not happy walk or get a bus. people in thurso can always go to spital garage they are cheeper there!

Cattach
26-May-07, 20:59
Petrol at Tescos in Wick is 95.9 and Thurso has been quoted at 105.9 there is a big rip off somewhere, am sorry for the folks in Thurso.

Do not be sorry for us in Thurso. Quality of life is important too and this is the place to be!!!

percy toboggan
26-May-07, 22:04
Stornoway lasy week: £1.09 a litre standard unleaded.
I was glad I was on the bus.
Ullapool was just over a quid. Fuelled up in Pitlochry on the way down - BP Ultimate £1.05. It's worth the extra for optimax or ultimate I reckon.
1150 miles over the week. The auld Audi never missed a beat.