PDA

View Full Version : scotlands first asian msp

dunderheed
07-May-07, 22:33
First Asian MSP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6622915.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6622915.stm)

Firstly- i'm not in any way, shape or form, racist. BUT, do you think that the main agenda of one of the SNP's MSP's should be to have a Muslim school in Scotland? Shouldn't he be concentrating on better things for our country?

IMO the SNP are about all things Scottish. Should our taxes be paying for a Muslim school? It's a difficult one because we obviously have a significant Muslim population now, but still..........i suppose im of the belief that if you move to this country, you should adopt our ways, as we would have to if we moved to a predominantly muslim country.

Jeemag_USA
07-May-07, 22:43
I don't think it said it would be a public school though, although thats probably what he meant. There are some schools in Indianapolis that are all Jewish that I know of and I dare say there may be an islamic one, there are also schools here that are also churches, they are called Christian Acadamey's you get faith and education at the same time and there are also Catholic schools. But the one thing in common for those types of schools in the USA is they are private schools, you have to pay for your kids to go there and they do not get public funding like public schools do, they have to raise their own.

To my mind making a public school for muslims only is a backward step, and I am most definately not racist.

If there are public schools in the UK that are all Catholic or all Christian then there isn't a whole lot to argue about, Islamic faith is available around the world for those who choose it or not. You can be from Scotland and all your grandfathers could be from scotland and you can still be a muslim if you want, it shouldn't be about where you came from.

My personal opinion is that Religion should be kept out of schools althogether, thats why we have Church and Sunday Schools and Christian Youth Groups and Bible Class during the week for parents who want their kids to take classes in religion.

PS there already was a thread on this but it seems to have vanished mysteriously ;)

dunderheed
07-May-07, 22:48
must have missed the other thread.
i agree with you in the respect that all denominational schools should not be funded by the taxpayer, although saying that if you apply to a catholic school in scotland they are legally bound to take your childrenif they fall within the catchment area, however i don't see a muslim school being so accomodating.

Jeemag_USA
07-May-07, 22:49
must have missed the other thread.
i agree with you in the respect that all denominational schools should not be funded by the taxpayer, although saying that if you apply to a catholic school in scotland they are legally bound to take your childrenif they fall within the catchment area, however i don't see a muslim school being so accomodating.

Same with Catholic Schools here, you don't have to be Catholic to be admitted, but when your in you have to do what your told ;) And likewise I think if anyone was to start a Islamic School they woudl have to be prepared to accept anyone. I think most organisations who elect to exclude anyone because of their religion or race can expect a backlash from their elected government. I don't know anything about Mr Ahmad but I am guilty here of making an assumption that his constituency has a large ethnic population? If it didn't and he used this as part of his campaign I doubt he would have got the same vote result?

North Rhins
07-May-07, 22:49
Nicely put Jeemag. The trouble is that in today’s political climate if you dare to level the slightest concern or criticism, then you are automatically labelled racist, when nothing could be further from the truth.

Angela
07-May-07, 23:02
I'm not in favour of "faith" schools at all. I don't see that they can be anything but divisive.

However, I think one of the reasons some parents like them is because they feel they provide a safer environment and possibly a better standard of education for their children than "non-faith" schools.

imo, it would be better to concentrate on ways of improving schools overall.

Oddquine
07-May-07, 23:02
Same with Catholic Schools here, you don't have to be Catholic to be admitted, but when your in you have to do what your told ;) And likewise I think if anyone was to start a Islamic School they woudl have to be prepared to accept anyone. I think most organisations who elect to exclude anyone because of their religion or race can expect a backlash from their elected government. I don't know anything about Mr Ahmad but I am guilty here of making an assumption that his constituency has a large ethnic population? If it didn't and he used this as part of his campaign I doubt he would have got the same vote result?

He doesn't actually have a constituency.............he's a Glasgow list MSP. I think he was giving personal goals as opposed to campaign promises.

Jeemag_USA
07-May-07, 23:05
He doesn't actually have a constituency.............he's a Glasgow list MSP. I think he was giving personal goals as opposed to campaign promises.

Yes I know he was stating personal goals, it says it in the story. I was merely wondering if this was something he talked about before being elected.

Rheghead
07-May-07, 23:12
I was merely wondering if this was something he talked about before being elected.

Perhaps his personal goal was part of a closed door arrangement with the SNP to make the SNP look more NEW than New Labour?;)

Jeemag_USA
07-May-07, 23:15
I read this on another news website, I don't know nothing about the guy so was trying to find out about him, whats does it mean he tried to have a Catholic School "Switch Faiths" I don't understand that part, is it misinterpreted?

Ahmad has vowed to establish Muslim schools in Scotland and has already led a protest at a Catholic school in a bid to have it switch faiths. He said he was very proud' to be elected as a Glasgow MSP at the third attempt.

He said after election results were announced: 'I am over the moon. It has been a great night for the SNP.' Ahmad follows in the footsteps of Labour party's Mohammed Sarwar, who became Britain's first Muslim MP when he won Glasgow Govan in 1997.

Ahmad and Sarwar have already clashed after Ahmad led a walk-out by Muslim pupils at St Albert's Roman Catholic Primary in Pollokshields, Glasgow.

The protest was labelled 'extremist' by Father John Gannon, whose mass was disrupted when a dozen children left. Sarwar rejected claims that Muslim children had been forced to attend mass.

zenmaster
08-May-07, 23:43
An interesting Panorama investigation of the growing segregation between Muslim Asians and whites in UK towns and cities, focussing on Blackburn.....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/default.stm
It was reported that as Asians move into an area then the whites move out - "white fright". The schools aren't segregated but some become dominated by whichever racial community dominates the area, and so are identified as largely white or Asian.

Oddquine
09-May-07, 22:13
I read this on another news website, I don't know nothing about the guy so was trying to find out about him, whats does it mean he tried to have a Catholic School "Switch Faiths" I don't understand that part, is it misinterpreted?

St Albert's Primary school, built from concrete and glass, sits rather uncomfortably amid the elegant sandstone villas of a wide, leafy street in the south Glasgow suburb of Pollokshields. It is not only the school's architecture that is incongruous. St Albert's is Roman Catholic. It has a Catholic headteacher, Catholic teachers, Catholic prayers to start the day and, once a month, holds a celebration of Catholic mass. Yet the majority of its pupils, certainly more than 75%, are Muslim.

Maybe that's why.

I think there should be faith schools for all faiths that want them..........................but, as far as I'm concerned, preferably no faith schools at all.

But in this day and age, you can't restrict government funded faith schools to only Christian ones.............it should be all or none, imo.

Rheghead..........Perhaps his personal goal was part of a closed door arrangement with the SNP to make the SNP look more NEW than New Labour.
I really don't think so. :roll:

He was the founder of Scots Asians for Independence in 1995 and was on Glasgow City Council from 2003. He hasn't just arrived to make the SNP look good.........he has been on the list from the first election to the Scottish Parliament.

Victoria
10-May-07, 11:06
I'm not in favour of "faith" schools at all. I don't see that they can be anything but divisive.

However, I think one of the reasons some parents like them is because they feel they provide a safer environment and possibly a better standard of education for their children than "non-faith" schools.

imo, it would be better to concentrate on ways of improving schools overall.

me neither - surely the point of a school is to get a balanced education.

Religion should be taught and practiced outside of school if you want your child to learn about a specific faith.

scotsboy
10-May-07, 11:12
I am totally against single faith schools of any sort, all state funded schools should be non-denominational.

Rheghead
10-May-07, 13:25
I went to a single Faith School, a CoE school. But it seemed every other child there was either RC, protestant or jewish(an israeli submarine was being built nearby). I just don't think that English protestants feel all that 'sectarian'. Good thing too.

oldmarine
11-May-07, 00:42
First Asian MSP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6622915.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6622915.stm)

Firstly- i'm not in any way, shape or form, racist. BUT, do you think that the main agenda of one of the SNP's MSP's should be to have a Muslim school in Scotland? Shouldn't he be concentrating on better things for our country?

IMO the SNP are about all things Scottish. Should our taxes be paying for a Muslim school? It's a difficult one because we obviously have a significant Muslim population now, but still..........i suppose im of the belief that if you move to this country, you should adopt our ways, as we would have to if we moved to a predominantly muslim country.

Your taxes should not be paying for a Muslim school. If the school is privately paid for, it would be a different matter. Here in Tucson, Arizona we do have Muslim schools privately paid for and little can be done about it.

You are correct when you state the difference if we should move to a predominantly muslim country.