PDA

View Full Version : EON Solid Wall Insulation

Anfield
07-Aug-16, 17:38
Anybody had work this done by EON and are unhappy at the quality of work carried out by EON's contractors?

captain chaos
07-Aug-16, 22:00
Anybody had work this done by EON and are unhappy at the quality of work carried out by EON's contractors?

From what I remember we didn't sign to accept until happy and EON dont get payment from government till you sign so there should be no problems, as EON will hound sub contractor till its correct, but that was just under 2 years ago now, but dont think things have changed

Kevin Milkins
07-Aug-16, 23:12
I was very impressed by the work ethic and standard that the Polish crew performed when they did ours recently.

Anfield
08-Aug-16, 11:27
No problem with Foreign workers, it is the Brits who are the problem!

janeyj
08-Aug-16, 13:08
Surely, cavities are in walls for a reason?

tonkatojo
08-Aug-16, 14:25
Surely, cavities are in walls for a reason?

You are probably right they are, the initial post threw me and still does how do they insuate a solid wall ?.

Kevin Milkins
08-Aug-16, 15:33
You are probably right they are, the initial post threw me and still does how do they insuate a solid wall ?.

They fix a four inch thick bat to the wall and skim over it, then render and harl
on the top of that. Your existing solid wall will act like a storage heater.
I was informed that it could save 20% on fuel cost, but I will report back on that one.

DonMac
08-Aug-16, 16:55
Kevin what was the cost of having the insulation done, cheers

tonkatojo
08-Aug-16, 17:53
They fix a four inch thick bat to the wall and skim over it, then render and harl
I was informed that it could save 20% on fuel cost, but I will report back on that one.

Kevin is the render ordinary sand and cement or has it vermiculate type of addition to it ? I presume it's not a trade secret. lol

tonkatojo
08-Aug-16, 21:40

Just been thinking about what you said Kevin, a 4" thickness surely that would mean the roans being out of sinc with the roof and an extra line of tiles required, or have I got it wrong.

Kevin Milkins
08-Aug-16, 23:08
Just been thinking about what you said Kevin, a 4" thickness surely that would mean the roans being out of sinc with the roof and an extra line of tiles required, or have I got it wrong.

Its a unique design, the insulation comes up under the roans and is capped. I would post some pictures, but it has got complicated to do that on the org. The end result looks Ok and if it does what it says on the tin then everyone's a winner.

Kevin Milkins
08-Aug-16, 23:09
It was done on a grant through EON.

Anfield
09-Aug-16, 09:51
EON do not install the insulation, they use sub-contractors with various "skills" i.e one gang arrived at my house and had to borrow a hammer> Another crew of so called "electrical contractors" made 4 attempts to remove and refit satellite dish, and I will have to get Chessors to fit it correctly.
Oh I nearly forgot the team that within 5 minutes of arriving the team erecting scaffolding asked if I wanted to (a) buy a storage container and (b) did I have any puppies for sale!
All the above were British workmen

Kevin Milkins
09-Aug-16, 11:44
It sounds like I must have been lucky, all the guys that came to do our job were tip top including the scaffold crew.
How much did he want for the container? I could use one of those.

tonkatojo
09-Aug-16, 15:45
EON do not install the insulation, they use sub-contractors with various "skills" i.e one gang arrived at my house and had to borrow a hammer> Another crew of so called "electrical contractors" made 4 attempts to remove and refit satellite dish, and I will have to get Chessors to fit it correctly.
Oh I nearly forgot the team that within 5 minutes of arriving the team erecting scaffolding asked if I wanted to (a) buy a storage container and (b) did I have any puppies for sale!
All the above were British workmen

What size storage container were they offering and at what price, did you sell any puppies ?.

riggerboy
11-Aug-16, 18:47
It's a silicon based glue that looks and acts like cement, then a 2nd coat applied and the wall harled, very happy with mine and the house is getting warmer, windows open all the time

tonkatojo
11-Aug-16, 18:52
It's a silicon based glue that looks and acts like cement, then a 2nd coat applied and the wall harled, very happy with mine and the house is getting warmer, windows open all the time

Where is the punchline RB, or are you serious for once.lol.

J1985
12-Aug-16, 15:48
A shower of cowboys more like, give it a few more years until the damp sets in then tell us it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Saveman
12-Aug-16, 23:09
A shower of cowboys more like, give it a few more years until the damp sets in then tell us it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Its got a 25 year warranty.

Anfield
14-Aug-16, 12:47
Its got a 25 year warranty.

That' s presuming they (that sub-division of EON responsible for this type of work) are still around in 25 years time.
Nothing to stop them putting that part of company into Administration

tonkatojo
14-Aug-16, 17:30
I would be surprised if they were not insurance based warranties such as this.

http://www.gp-insurance.co.uk/products.php

Angel
14-Aug-16, 22:33
Cavities are there so as any ingress of moisture does not impact on the inner leaf of the wall, assuming the cavity ties are clean and the drip is below the point where it enters the inner leaf of the wall. Ideally, the cavity should have a vent to let any moisture present during build or thereafter escape.
Moving on...
In principal the concept is good. On paper it works. If there are no problems with the structure (the house being insulated) it should work.
However...the reallity is different...!
If all is correct here then we move on to the property itself as a whole. Old houses/properties often show signs of bulging or settlement etc. evident if you look closer. If this stucture moves, as they do either through vibration (heavy traffic) or thermal (night/day and winter summer) allowances need to be made in the outer insulation layer to facilitate this.
Assuming the person that batons the exterior, the person that fits the panels, the person who mixes the first coat and/or the second coat, and the person that applies either or both coats of finnish, all get it perfect there should be nothing wrong with the work/job etc...
But...you knew there was a but!
Have you been told how to maintain the work you have had done?
None of the above will commit to saying "your house is in perfect condition" (they rarely are) because it is not there job to do that and often have not been trained in how to spot a problem or potential problem in the building prior to comencement of work.
So assuming everything is 'perfect' what could possibly go wrong?
Water ingress is the biggest problem from all those little 'hard to get to places' not a problem to the wind and we do have a little up here!
Impact damage, wheelie bins, bycicles, gates etc... then theres the 'lets have a satalite dish fitted' situation. A perfect finnish is now in the real 'living' world. A world where diy and dodgy builders dont have a clue as to how/where/when to fit whatever the future requires to be fitted.
Whilst the airiated material is fantastic whilst dry, it sucks heat out of a structure should it ever get wet. Also being sealed in it cannot get out...it has to drain.
Heaven forbid, should it ever freeze! Personally i see a potential new repair sector in the making...
My advice is to look after your exterior insulation and keep it dry!

This was going to be a short reply...sorry peeps...

Angel...

Kevin Milkins
14-Aug-16, 23:10
They don't fix it to cavity walls.

Angel
14-Aug-16, 23:15
I am aware they do not fit it to cavity walls...I was explaining to whoever it was why properties have them...should have made that clearer...but thank you Kevin...

Angel...

Anfield
15-Aug-16, 13:06
".. Assuming the person that batons the exterior, the person that fits the panels, the person who mixes the first coat and/or the second coat, and the person that apples either or both coats of finnish, all get it perfect there should be nothing wrong with the work/job etc..."

That is the problem. A job is only as good as its weakest link, and EON employ, as Sub Contractors, a lot of "weak links"

eipi
16-Aug-16, 06:17
The insulation goes on the outside then is covered by render.

theone
16-Aug-16, 08:33
Its a unique design, the insulation comes up under the roans and is capped. I would post some pictures, but it has got complicated to do that on the org. The end result looks Ok and if it does what it says on the tin then everyone's a winner.

That's the way it should/can work and it can look very good. Some of the council housing in springpark in Thurso has been done this way and it looks quite good.

The problem (in my opinion) is on older properties where the roans do not have an overhang over the walls. There's houses in Reiss and Castletown where the insulation is capped with plastic and sticks out 4 inches further than the roof tiles. A very strange look.

I've also seen a house that has a boiler flue coming through the side wall. Rather than spend £30 on a flue extension, the "tradesmen" who applied the insulation simply cut a 50cmx50cm square around the outlet..........

Scunner
16-Aug-16, 10:24
[QUOTE=theone;1152680]That's the way it should/can work and it can look very good. Some of the council housing in springpark in Thurso has been done this way and it looks quite good.

The problem (in my opinion) is on older properties where the roans do not have an overhang over the walls. There's houses in Reiss and Castletown where the insulation is capped with plastic and sticks out 4 inches further than the roof tiles. A very strange look.

this is also done with the graters, next to the ground. Looks bad and where can the house names be attached? Some of the older properties can look good but others it spoils the traditional look with rendering a wrong colour

Angel
07-Sep-16, 22:34
They don't fix it to cavity walls.

Several houses in Braal Terrace in Halkirk have been clad and they have cavity
walls... I know because mine in the same...

Angel...

Kevin Milkins
08-Sep-16, 10:30
Several houses in Braal Terrace in Halkirk have been clad and they have cavity
walls... I know because mine in the same...

Angel...
I can only reiterate what they informed me, they could not do the front porch because it had no heating and could not do the rear extension (which is a porch, kitchen and bathroom) because it had a cavity wall. It is too early to make a final assessment of the value of having it done, but it has improved the look of the property and already feels warmer.

Anfield
16-Sep-16, 12:23
Enclosed are some pics of the work which EON wanted to sign off as being completed to my satisfaction

The piece of plastic , by the conservatory door, was removed but still unable to open to its normal 90 degrees.

Apart from the uneven surface of gable end, what worries me is what damage is being caused behind the damp areas of walls

DSTOTM
17-Sep-16, 21:33
From what I can understand, this is essentially a polystyrene blanket that is applied to the external walls, skimmed rendered and then harled?

I am no building expert, far from it, but it would probably work on the same principle as a tea cosy. Unlike a tea cosy, however, it will be exposed to lashings of vertical rain and high winds so it's imperative that no water gets inbetween the External insulation and the original walls of the property.

The job done correctly seems a very good idea and will be thermally efficient but if done incorrectly could be an absolute nightmare in years (or months) to come. I imagine (I haven't seen these contractors in action) that it's a standard whack it on and pump sealent into any gaps type job and send the bill to the government?

A previous poster mentioned the fragility of the external wall insulation...... could it really be damaged by someone kicking a football on it? Surely it's tougher than that? Has anybody experienced "fractures" due to footballs, drunk people falling onto the walls or other everyday occurrences?

What happens when it comes down to selling your home, the surveyor (home report) won't be able to assess the the condition of the walls because they are encased in polystyrene so that will surely be a "unable to gain access" negative tick on the home report?

25 year guarantee? A one year warranty these days is worthless.... as an OP has already said, once they have clad the UK in polystyrene they either go out of business or crop up as a new business giving away free (government granted) repairs to polystyrene clad homes. You can't trust any of these "schemes" these days, at the end of the day somebody is profiting from them and 9 times out of ten it isn't the homeowner or poor Eastern European sealant gun wielder (who 9 times out of ten has a much better work ethic than the lazy Brits).

Anfield, that doesn't bode well...... I've had a look at your photos..... that's an accident waiting to happen. Looks like it was a slap and dash (and get out of Dodge fast!) job..... that's the general way with these so called "energy saving" scams........ get your home coated in polystyrene for FREE and end up paying for it BIG TIME when your house all of a sudden becomes a victim of rising damp...... I would, possibly, begin researching the COST (the cost to YOU) of removing the energy saving tea cosy ;)

No Further forward, we are all between a rock and a hard place in life BUT "free" stuff usually has a hidden agenda and we end up paying for it in the end....... EON will be long gone if / when anything goes pear shaped / they will have their MONEY / It's the way these cowboys operate these days, unfortunately. Efficiency / Green / Save the planet........... they're all profiting from it and, 9 times out of ten are making matters worse.

At the end of the day, it's all about "making easy money fast" and not a way of earning money by hard work (to the very best of my abilities) that I aspire to.