PDA

View Full Version : Advice on cabinet doors

Ballymore
18-Jun-16, 22:26
I am planning to renovate our kitchen by just changing the cabinet doors but do not like the modern doors that are available. The old doors/drawer fronts are laminated and in some areas the laminate has peeled off or is loose.
Has anyone here tried peeling off the laminate frontage and repainting the woodwork and if so what did you do - paint used etc.
Thank you

janeyj
19-Jun-16, 10:24
I suppose you could put primer on the laminate which would then allow you to paint over with some nice colour but if the laminate is peeling badly then I don't know how best to repair it and I've no idea about peeling the laminate off. Sounds like it would be difficult and costly even if it's possible. My simple mind tells me that if priming and painting over is a no-no then replacing the doors may be the best option.......... but then if you can't find the style you want:~(. Hopefully, a joiner or kitcheney design/installer person will come on here with some ideas.

KJSigns
19-Jun-16, 14:14
If the fronts of the doors do not have too many features and are mostly flat you can clean the laminate off and re-laminate them with gloss vinyl, we have just done some office cupboards like this and its a quite inexpensive way of doing if your able to do yourself.

A lot of sign makers and car wrappers have done their complete kitchen with the colour of choice, or you can go one step further and print the vinyl before hand with themes and syle of your choice.

Ballymore
19-Jun-16, 19:46
Thank you for your advice.
I don't think re-laminating will work due to them having furrows but these could be filled in?
I need something that is super easy to clean thanks to dogs, cats and farm life!