PDA

View Full Version : Campbell/henderson

lindadorren
02-May-07, 21:58
I have spent years researching my family history with some success but am now looking for help from others.
My grandfather James Sutherland Henderson was born in Bower, in October 1900, son of David Henderson and Mary Sutherland. He had several siblings and I keep in touch with one of his nieces but I wondered if there were any others who were related and might have more information?

My grandmother, Elizabeth Houston Campbell was born in Wick in June 1906 and lived there until she moved to Edinburgh with her mother in about 1920. Her father ran the Crown Hotel. Her parents were Henrietta Sutherland and George Harper Campbell. George Harper Campbell died suddenly in 1911. His mother, Williamina Harper appears to have been the driving force behind this family. As with my grandfather's side of the family there is some contact between my mother and her cousins but again I wondered if anyone else had more info they would like to share.

Other names which appear in the family tree include Oman, Laurie, Steven, Bremner, Bruce and More.

Any help??

Linda

Tricia
04-May-07, 20:14
Which MORE do you have in your tree?
I have many.
Tricia
born a MORE in Wick.

lindadorren
13-May-07, 22:25
Sorry about the dealy in replying - life is hectic!

My grandmother's sister Henrietta Steven Campbell married Robert More in 1922. They had, I believe, 4 sons - James, George, Robert and William. There was a connection with a trawler which, if memory serves me correctly, was called the Bluebell. Robert Phin More died after 1956 and Henrietta in May 1945 when she was only 45 years old. I last saw George More in Edinburgh on 27th August 1976/77/78(can't be certain of the year but the date I recall because it was my brother's birthday) - when he arrived on my parent's doorstep unannounced! My recall is that he was something of a character!

George's wife Tina is buried in the graveyard in Wick with the most magnificent black marble headstone. She predeceased George.

Are they part of your family tree?

Linda

bluenosenic
14-May-07, 21:24
Henrietta's husband Robert died in 1989, he was the skipper of The Alert.His son George was the skipper of The Bluebell.George died in 2004.James died in 1987. Robert and William still live in Wick.

Yes George was a great character!!!

If you need any further information please PM me and I will try to help

Tricia
21-May-07, 11:50
Linda
Thanks for data. I have many of the MORE family mapped back to 1700.

This Robert who married Henrietta Campbell - if he is the son of Robert Phin More and Harriet Duchart then he is my 3C2R

I don't have his details keyed in my tree though, other than born 1900.
21 Vansittart Street in 1901 census aged under 1 year.

Would love more data on his sons.
Do you Campbells go back to Lybster?
Tricia

bluenosenic
22-May-07, 18:34
Robert Phin More was married to Henrietta Campbell was the son of James Groat More and Mary-Ann Sinclair

Hope this is of any help to you?

lindadorren
22-May-07, 22:51
Thanks to both above for the info. I haven't traced this branch back any further as it isn't my direct line and if I branch out too fat I end up confused and in a muddle!
I'll bear both pieces of info in mind when I have time to work on this branch.

Tricia, I don't know where the Campbells came from as the furthest back I have got is to someone who we think drowned at sea and have no further detail!

Any more info on Campbells who owned the Crown Hotel in Wick or the Hendersons who came from Bower would be very much appreciated. I have been told that David Henderson, my great grandfather drove one of the first buses in Caithness, between Wick and Thurso.

Look forward to hearing from others.

Linda

Tricia
23-May-07, 17:26
Robert Phin More was married to Henrietta Campbell was the son of James Groat More and Mary-Ann Sinclair

Hope this is of any help to you?

Hi
Thanks for that.
I have James Groat More & Mary Ann Sinclair in my tree.
Makes son Robert Phin my 3C2R.
I have siblings for Robert as William Sarah(known as Cissie) and Catherine. I have their death dates but no other data.
Do you relate to this family? Love more data if you can share.
Tricia
born a MORE in Wick.

Tricia
10-Jul-07, 16:00
I don't know where the Campbells came from as the furthest back I have got is to someone who we think drowned at sea and have no further detail!
Linda

Linda
I have Donald Campbell drowned 1847 - Lybster.
He was son William Campbell Barbara Gunn.
He was married Christina MacKay.
They only had one child though William b 1848. Schoolmaster at Achow Swiney School - remained single.

Tricia