PDA

View Full Version : Free Speech ?

the_C.A.S.E._of_death
20-May-05, 22:36
Can someone explain why the thread on Norfrost has been taken off ?

Has pressure been brought to bear from some quarters ?

Surely a discussion on how a government quango is mis-spending taxpayers money isn't a banned subject.

Or has the truth hurt ?

Brizer2k2
20-May-05, 22:58
Caithness.org are responsible for comments on their messageboard and if any views expressed on here are too contreversial then they have the right to remove them.

the_C.A.S.E._of_death
20-May-05, 23:02
Therefore, I'd be keen to know just which comments were too controversial.

Surely not every single comment in the thread was controversial - why not just strip out the ones that breached the rules ?

I smell censorship or vested interest.

John Traill
20-May-05, 23:54
Selective removal would be censorship. It would also cause arguments about why one post was removed and another not, renders some posts meaningless making the thread hard to follow and with repetitive quoting would probably mean almost all were taken out anyway.

The moderators make the rules and if you don't like them (the rules, not the moderators), go somewhere else.

JT

the_C.A.S.E._of_death
21-May-05, 00:04
Selective removal would be censorship.

But that's what happens on the site in general, without any problems.

It just seems that we have a situation here where someone does not want a discussion on the Norfrost situation and/or CASE's involvement in it.

If the demise of a moderate sized employer in the county is not a topical and acceptable topic of discussion, then what is ?

Rheghead
21-May-05, 00:16
I am sorry C.A.S.E. of death but I don't think there is a big conspiracy here but I did notice that there was a poster on that deleted thread who actually worked for Norfrost.

Talking personally, if I had lost my job in such short circumstances, I wouldn't want such nasty comments being posted for all to view in my time of desperation and uncertainty...

Fesman
21-May-05, 06:23
Caithness.org are responsible for comments on their messageboard

Not true

While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable.

and if any views expressed on here are too contreversial then they have the right to remove them.

True

You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit.

concerned resident
21-May-05, 08:15
All very mysterious, The truth is out there- would be interested in the explanation, and would that be the real truth!.

Fesman
21-May-05, 09:06
All very mysterious, The truth is out there- would be interested in the explanation, and would that be the real truth!.

Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

katarina
21-May-05, 10:16
maybe pat grant is one of the moderators?

the_C.A.S.E._of_death
21-May-05, 11:46
Talking personally, if I had lost my job in such short circumstances, I wouldn't want such nasty comments being posted for all to view in my time of desperation and uncertainty

Nonesense.

I didn't see any nasty comments before the thread was removed.

I did see a lot of comments from current and ex-workers who described something akin to a slave labour camp.

Anyway, I think the biggest gripe was not with Pat and Alex Grant. They only did what any other business people would do in the circumstances and that is find any means of keeping their business interests afloat as long as possible.

The issue that seemed to be at the heart of the thread was why CASE keep bunging money into companies that are on their death bed. The official line is about how important these companies are to the local ecomony, but I'd be keen to see the economic analysis on the contribution Norforst has made to the local economy. Yes they provided jobs, but they seemed to be low-skill and low-pay, and the company had an almost pathological desire to not put any work out the door to local business - hell, they even ran their own lorries, and generated their own electricity.

Alananders68
21-May-05, 11:53
Caithness.org are responsible for comments on their messageboard and if any views expressed on here are too contreversial then they have the right to remove them.
They are not responsible for comments made by anyone, only those making the comments are responsible. Yes they have the right to remove comments but wouldn't an explanation be the decent thing, and isn't this board supposedly for the Caithness community :confused .

I am totally and utterly against censorship full stop [mad] , freedom of speech and all that, but if the moderators are going to censor and remove posts then they should at the very least post an explanation when they do so, not offering an explanation in this instance suggests a vested interest.

Out of curiosity, who are the mods?

Alananders68
21-May-05, 11:58
I see the forum rules are all posted by Pickles, is he the mod then?

the_C.A.S.E._of_death
21-May-05, 12:01
Bill Fernie is on the Board of CASE though.

pedromcgrory
21-May-05, 16:34
dont give a about bill or nofrost ,still havent recieved my wages but i will one way or other il be going out to norfrost offices on monday and i wont be leaving till i get my well earned cash ,and thats a promise . [evil]

the_C.A.S.E._of_death
21-May-05, 17:04
but i will one way or other il be going out to norfrost offices on monday and i wont be leaving till i get my well earned cash

I feel really sorry for you mate, because you ain't got a hope in hell of getting anything out of it.

You'd be better camping outside Pat Grant's door, somewhere in deepest Aberdeenshire I believe.

Never mind, you'll be able to go to CASE's offices instead and get some patronising lecture on finding a new job from a civil servant who's never had to do a proper day's work in the real world.

katarina
21-May-05, 19:26
Can someone explain why the thread on Norfrost has been taken off ?

Has pressure been brought to bear from some quarters ?

Surely a discussion on how a government quango is mis-spending taxpayers money isn't a banned subject.

Or has the truth hurt ?

I posted the same question before you and it was taken off as well. Then I asked the question again but on another thread and that was taken off too. So you are dead lucky yours is still here - for the time being!

fred
21-May-05, 19:45
They are not responsible for comments made by anyone, only those making the comments are responsible. Yes they have the right to remove comments but wouldn't an explanation be the decent thing, and isn't this board supposedly for the Caithness community :confused

Unfortunately that is not true. As the law stands if the site owner recieves a complaint that a message is libelous they have little choice but to remove it. Look for Godfrey vs. Demon on Google. Even making a reference to a libelous article by saying why it was removed could land them in court.

If enough people would be interested in an unmoderated forum to talk in then a newsgroup could be arranged but be warned, freedom of speech has its down side, you have to listen to a load of stuff you'd rather not hear in exchange for being able to say what you want to say.

squidge
21-May-05, 20:26
Never mind, you'll be able to go to CASE's offices instead and get some patronising lecture on finding a new job from a civil servant who's never had to do a proper day's work in the real world.

You would go to the Jobcentre and you would not be patronised - you would be dealt with by someone who really tries hard to get someone into work and actually works far harder now and for far less recognition than they did in my day and it was hard enough then!.

I can tell you are angry the C.A.S.E but be angry in the right places not the wrong ones. Being cross with everyone is no use to any body.

concerned resident
22-May-05, 11:04
Squidge
You would go to the Jobcentre and you would not be patronised
You will need plenty of money for Bus fares, or over priced petrol, as do not forget they closed Thurso Job Centre and Benifits Offices at the begining of the month. You now have to go to Wick.

Through
22-May-05, 19:14
They gave me travelling expenses: £3.40. I'm told this is what the bus fare is.

squidge
22-May-05, 22:59
You'll get bus fares for a new claim

Through
23-May-05, 09:56
They then get you to 'phone them every two weeks and keep you on the line for about 15 minutes at peak time while they look for a job for you. So I hope you can pay your 'phone bills.

squidge
23-May-05, 12:20
phone them?

Theres a freephone number for Wick Jobcentre which is 0800 919042

and Jobseeker Direct is a local number - 0845 6060234

Smee2
23-May-05, 13:41
The Jobcentre can be very helpful at what they do and will be very nice the first few times you go there, but after that you are treated like a statistic.

"pedromcgrory" you should be or already had meetings with the receivers. They ultimately will be paying your wages and you should get forms from them that will assist you in getting Redundancy and Leiu of Notice payments from the Government.